You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Ah..

I like it.

I am gonna forget all our early fa cup exits to the likes of Oldham, Barnsley, Reading and Wolves in recent years because it is exactly the same as all our rivals.

As evidenced by the results of those teams since we last won it.

Chelsea have not won it 4 times

Arsenal have not won it 3 times

The manc clubs have not won it once each...

Those four clubs have not won 9 of the 11 since we last won it

• Upvote 1

Yes. Do they play in league one?

Strange definition of 'success' that you have. As I said above, I am not continuing this discussion.

Success is about winning trophies....something we have stopped doing.

Now of course we are a much, much bigger club than Wigan - we dwarf them in terms of every single measure that anyone can apply....and of course we sit much higher up the pyramid than them but the level of expectation is also very, very different.

The point i am making (and yes i am of course taking the piss a little and being deliberately picky on that cup stat) is we despite all our resources and the money we have spent remain unable to build a squad that can bring silverware home.....Jimmycase/Ratcatcher is of course right that the league is the big worry and the big problem - and of course that is and always should be our priority - but we have barely mustered a handful of challenges for that really since we last won it.

More or less every January we piss our fa cup chances up the wall because we are stretched to breaking point and we lose to shite like Oldham, Reading, Barnsley, Wolves etc....

We aren't even CL regulars (not that it is a trophy) we have even managed to miss Europe altogether often enough.

This club has underachieved for too long and is in danger of being left so far behind we may never catch up - a whole generation is growing up with us as also rans.

We have a boss manager in place and a chance to kick on, to attract better players - to build a team that can win things....I'd bite your arm off for an FA cup, it might just breed a winning mentallity instead of 'celebrating' 4th (yeah i know 4th can help us get to the CL and build) but we hardly have a glowing record in that regard fron the odd times we have made it in the last 10 years.

I know it isn't easy and i believe in Klopp but i have zero faith in those he is working for and with in terms of shaping the team we need to bring glory back round the fields of Anfield Road....

I still reckon we'll get both VVD and Keita. FSG keep tight hold of the purse strings, perhaps they're waiting the outcome of the Champs League qualifier before signing the cheques or maybe our targets are waiting too. I know, I'm a naive tit. My head will stay on my shoulders until after that qualifying game, then it'll fall off if there's no movement in the days after that.

Success is about winning trophies....something we have stopped doing.

Now of course we are a much, much bigger club than Wigan - we dwarf them in terms of every single measure that anyone can apply....and of course we sit much higher up the pyramid than them but the level of expectation is also very, very different.

The point i am making (and yes i am of course taking the piss a little and being deliberately picky on that cup stat) is we despite all our resources and the money we have spent remain unable to build a squad that can bring silverware home.....Jimmycase/Ratcatcher is of course right that the league is the big worry and the big problem - and of course that is and always should be our priority - but we have barely mustered a handful of challenges for that really since we last won it.

More or less every January we piss our fa cup chances up the wall because we are stretched to breaking point and we lose to shite like Oldham, Reading, Barnsley, Wolves etc....

We aren't even CL regulars (not that it is a trophy) we have even managed to miss Europe altogether often enough.

This club has underachieved for too long and is in danger of being left so far behind we may never catch up - a whole generation is growing up with us as also rans.

We have a boss manager in place and a chance to kick on, to attract better players - to build a team that can win things....I'd bite your arm off for an FA cup, it might just breed a winning mentallity instead of 'celebrating' 4th (yeah i know 4th can help us get to the Cl and build) but we hardly have a glowing record in that regard fron the odd times we have made it in the last 10 years.

I know it isn't easy and i believe in Klopp but i have zero faith in those he is working for and with in terms of shaping the team we need to bring glory back round the fields of Anfield Road....

You are not saying anything I don't necessarily agree with - but the non sequitur's from everyone are frustrating. 

In the past 25 years we have had 5 trophy winning seasons. Equally the last 3 seasons we have had 2 finals, 3 semi finals - the league cup we have reached at least the semi for the past three! 

I still reckon we'll get both VVD and Keita. FSG keep tight hold of the purse strings, perhaps they're waiting the outcome of the Champs League qualifier before signing the cheques or maybe our targets are waiting too. I know, I'm a naive tit. My head will stay on my shoulders until after that qualifying game, then it'll fall off if there's no movement in the days after that.

Kieta!? Really!?

You are not saying anything I don't necessarily agree with - but the non sequitur's from everyone are frustrating.

In the past 25 years we have had 5 trophy winning seasons. Equally the last 3 seasons we have had 2 finals, 3 semi finals - the league cup we have reached at least the semi for the past three!

When did we start adding lost finals and semi finals to the honours list?

• Upvote 1

May 2016: FSG announce biggest warchest for Summer.

August 2017: Salah purchased from the interest of warchest. 

We all fell for it lads, they didn't actually say they'd spend the fucking thing. 

They bid £66m for keita. And there's still 31 days in the window but dont let that stop you.

• Upvote 1