You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

If we sign Robertson, while not my first choice, so be it. There's been some decent left/full backs signed from lesser clubs or playing at lesser clubs. Baines went to Everton from Wigan. Cresswell is decent at West Ham. Bertrand milled around on loan as he was deemed not top level. We signed Rob Jones from Crewe.

There's no need for snobbery. He's not necessarily shit because he plays for Hull. He might be shit anyway, irrespective of who he plays for.

Here's hoping!

Can't you see that the scenarios are different? If the press, the people close to Keita, his ex national coach are all saying he's agreed personal terms and wants the move how is that the same as Gotze last season?

If you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore the countless other times FSG being dickheads has cost us players like Salah (the first time) Alli, Dempsey, Alex Teixeira, Konoplyanka, Mkhitaryan, Guerreiro etc etc etc.... then that's on you.

The reality is both players want the move. We've infuriated Southampton (just like we did Udinese last season for Zielinski) by feeding stories to the press that he only wants a move to us. This was done by the owners with the sole intention of driving the price of the player down and stopping a bidding war. 

They have a long storied history of thinking they are smarter than others in the market and it blowing up in their faces. So much so it's a running joke within the fanbase how badly they're going to fuck up each window because they do it every single time like clockwork. Low and behold by June we're cravenly apologising to Southampton for illegally tapping Van Dijk up. What a surprise!

There's only one thing stopping both deals being done today... money. Southampton will sell between £50-£60m and Leipzig will sell for £70m, maybe a bit less. They're posturing about not selling any of their players. Keita has a release clause that activates for £48m next season and they won't want him going to a domestic rival.

So what's the excuse? You say it's our pulling power, i say "bullshit!". It's solely down to money, as always with these cheapskates. 

The problem was our pulling power. We now have a decently attractive project with CL on offer and low and behold, good players now want to join us. Why people can't figure out why that was the main reason no one wanted to join us when we regularly finished 7th and had a novice manager, I don't really know. Should be common sense, really. 

As for this summer, you're not wrong. If we pay 70m on both occasions, we will probably get the players. Not sure why we've currently got a problem, though. Should probably look at the calendar. 

The problem was our pulling power. We now have a decently attractive project with CL on offer and low and behold, good players now want to join us. Why people can't figure out why that was the main reason no one wanted to join us when we regularly finished 7th and had a novice manager, I don't really know. Should be common sense, really. 

As for this summer, you're not wrong. If we pay 70m on both occasions, we will probably get the players. Not sure why we've currently got a problem, though. Should probably look at the calendar. 

I don't know whether we can now in relation to Van Dijk. Surely if he signs it opens us up to a 2 year transfer ban. 

I don't know whether we can now in relation to Van Dijk. Surely if he signs it opens us up to a 2 year transfer ban.

How

The premier league have already said Southampton didn't have enough evidence for their case to hold up

How

The premier league have already said Southampton didn't have enough evidence for their case to hold up

But following a preliminary investigation the Premier League has found insufficient evidence to start disciplinary proceedings.

Southampton have not withdrawn their complaint, but accepted an apology from Liverpool three weeks ago and will not push for them to be charged.

The Premier League will not take any action unless new information is made available.

Premier League lawyers have spoken to both clubs and are satisfied that the correct procedures have been followed.

Still think Klopp is genuine about his targets, and by that I mean Seasegnon, Mbappe, Keita and Pulisic.

He'll wait another season for all 4 if needs be, but for the minute we need cover and Robertson represents a good option at a modest price while we work on a deal for Sessegnon.

Its weird how some fans would be at odds with a professional manager, especially one who has put together a twice Bundesliga title winners and Champions League Finalist but, hey ho. Seems some fans think they know better.

Ive got to laugh that because a player was release by one club he's suddenly shite. Just what the fuck 3rd division in scotland has to do with anything after he spent a full season in the PL escapes me. Yeah, hull got relegated (not really a surprise considering the internal politics over the last couple of seasons and them starting the season with hardly any team) but they managed to beat us at their gaffe without conceeding if I remember. But hey ho.

I really had to stiffle my laugh over the clichy suggestion. Fuck me, how desparate are some people?

I'll put my faith in Jurgen over any internet contributor, including myself. Whether the club does the deals is beyond the manager in the sense he cant click his fingers (or stamp his feet) and get the deal done.

It seems we need to agree to disagree. I guess that you are to Jurgen what Cardie is to FSG then, as he is clearly beyond reproach. I find it odd that ive found myself on this side of the fence, as i truely love the man, but that seems to be your arguement. I have taken this opportunity however, on an intetnet forum, to express my concern about signing Robertson.

Perhaps you disagree with me beyond your disbelief that i could disagree with Jurgen? You have seen evidence with your own eyes that he can come in and do it against a top side? He has outstanding qualities in some way that make him a suitable signing for a team that will hopefully qualify for tbe group stages of the cl?

I detailed him being released, then to dundee (utd) then to relegated hull to gauge his pedigree. There are some that come from the lower leagues or who are released from clubs that do come good, but generally they have something that your eyes can see that you would determine as footballing quality and in tbe case of Robertson i cant see it. Indeed, you use Klopps pedigree to diminish my point of view.

Clichy, youll have to enlighten me as to why he is less able than robertson as i dont understand why wanting him, in preference to robertson, would be desperate?

Still think Klopp is genuine about his targets, and by that I mean Seasegnon, Mbappe, Keita and Pulisic.

He'll wait another season for all 4 if needs be, but for the minute we need cover and Robertson represents a good option at a modest price while we work on a deal for Sessegnon.

I'm genuine about my targets, and by that I mean Zooey Deschanel, Neko Case, and Debbie Harry's daughter.

I'll wait forever if needs be, but for the moment I need gratification and my wife represents a good option within the realm of possibility while I Google images of Zooey.

I'm genuine about my targets, and by that I mean Zooey Deschanel, Neko Case, and Debbie Harry's daughter.

I'll wait forever if needs be, but for the moment I need gratification and my wife represents a good option within the realm of possibility while I Google images of Zooey.

Debbie Harry has a daughter?

I have a sneaking feeling this isn't going to end well for anybody.

We're like the kid who is sat at home pretending that everybody else isn't revising for the exam when they're all swotting away.  The day of the exam will come and we'll be full of regret as everyone flies through it and we're stuck on the first question. 

Probably a question on how to define the word ambition.

We seem to be doing an Arsenal 2005-2013.

• Upvote 1

Let me preface this by saying I love the overall irreverent, sarcastic tone of TLW.

But it can be quite tiresome during transfer season.  By its nature, the transfer window is tricky for us as fans.  We have no idea what's going on, and it's critically important to the success of the club (which is obviously hugely important to us).

Going back 10 pages or so this thread is full of the most impatient whinging you'll ever see.  I've seen less entitlement on Blue Moon.  

I guess it gets to me because I'm the type to pretty much trust those in charge, as long as they've demonstrated reasonable competence.  I trust Klopp, and to a certain extent Edwards (if he's the one behind the targets we're after, who I absolutely LOVE).  

But if it goes tits up and we end the window by giving up on Keita and van Dijk in August, followed by Robertson and a makeshift CB, then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong and that something needs to be done in the club's recruitment department.  My question is for the vast majority on here who have absolutely lost their minds with our incompetence and delays, first asking for us to get good value, then a second later demanding we just "pay the money you cheap FSG bastards" - will you hold your hands up if we do get the most important players done?

Because I suspect that some will just move the goalposts again.  Even if we do end the window with van Dijk and Keita, or similar-level players, with a net spend over £100m, there will be some on here who refuse to credit the club with a good window.  Not speaking to everyone here, I think it's fine to be critical as long as you're willing to admit to being wrong if it proves you were.

• Upvote 9

But if it goes tits up and we end the window by giving up on Keita and van Dijk in August, followed by Robertson and a makeshift CB, then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong 

You won't have been wrong, you will have decided not to throw a hissy fit until the facts have been established, thereby saving yourself months of feeling embittered and angry.  Entirely sensible, if you ask me.  

• Upvote 1

You won't have been wrong, you will have decided not to throw a hissy fit until the facts have been established, thereby saving yourself months of feeling embittered and angry. Entirely sensible, if you ask me.

I'd agree if we didn't have so much previous of fucking up transfers

Let me preface this by saying I love the overall irreverent, sarcastic tone of TLW.

But it can be quite tiresome during transfer season. By its nature, the transfer window is tricky for us as fans. We have no idea what's going on, and it's critically important to the success of the club (which is obviously hugely important to us).

Going back 10 pages or so this thread is full of the most impatient whinging you'll ever see. I've seen less entitlement on Blue Moon.

I guess it gets to me because I'm the type to pretty much trust those in charge, as long as they've demonstrated reasonable competence. I trust Klopp, and to a certain extent Edwards (if he's the one behind the targets we're after, who I absolutely LOVE).

But if it goes tits up and we end the window by giving up on Keita and van Dijk in August, followed by Robertson and a makeshift CB, then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong and that something needs to be done in the club's recruitment department. My question is for the vast majority on here who have absolutely lost their minds with our incompetence and delays, first asking for us to get good value, then a second later demanding we just "pay the money you cheap FSG bastards" - will you hold your hands up if we do get the most important players done?

Because I suspect that some will just move the goalposts again. Even if we do end the window with van Dijk and Keita, or similar-level players, with a net spend over £100m, there will be some on here who refuse to credit the club with a good window. Not speaking to everyone here, I think it's fine to be critical as long as you're willing to admit to being wrong if it proves you were.

Hysterical fanny

• Upvote 1

But it can be quite tiresome during transfer season.  By its nature, the transfer window is tricky for us as fans.  We have no idea what's going on, and it's critically important to the success of the club (which is obviously hugely important to us).

Going back 10 pages or so this thread is full of the most impatient whinging you'll ever see.  I've seen less entitlement on Blue Moon.  

I guess it gets to me because I'm the type to pretty much trust those in charge, as long as they've demonstrated reasonable competence.  I trust Klopp, and to a certain extent Edwards (if he's the one behind the targets we're after, who I absolutely LOVE).  

But if it goes tits up and we end the window by giving up on Keita and van Dijk in August, followed by Robertson and a makeshift CB, then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong and that something needs to be done in the club's recruitment department.  My question is for the vast majority on here who have absolutely lost their minds with our incompetence and delays, first asking for us to get good value, then a second later demanding we just "pay the money you cheap FSG bastards" - will you hold your hands up if we do get the most important players done?

Because I suspect that some will just move the goalposts again.  Even if we do end the window with van Dijk and Keita, or similar-level players, with a net spend over £100m, there will be some on here who refuse to credit the club with a good window.  Not speaking to everyone here, I think it's fine to be critical as long as you're willing to admit to being wrong if it proves you were.

Yeah i'll hold my hands up if we get Keita and Van Dijk and admit i was wrong sure.