You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I want to see us upgrade on Milner at LB now. Sell Bert Moron and have Milner as back up to a pacey proper LB

I wouldn't say no to that, but if we can't do it all I'd rather concentrate on Keita and Van Dijk, or nearest equivalents. I rate Milner, but he needs better competition than Moreno, and Robertson would provide that.

We're so transparent in our negotiations, poor Virgil doesn't realise he's opened Pandora's box there. We'll submit a lowball offer within the next few days, Southampton will rightly tell us to go fuck ourselves and VVD will literally be rotting in Southampton's reserves next season.

Our potential signings just lacking that wee bit of agitating for a move with no guarantee that we'll bid anywhere near their value.

Given our previous history having players come out and say they wanted an LFC transfer and then trying to lowball their clubs is a factor.

Could we take our scouts S'hampton season tickets off them and make them watch some other teams next year?

We're so transparent in our negotiations, poor Virgil doesn't realise he's opened Pandora's box there. We'll submit a lowball offer within the next few days, Southampton will rightly tell us to go fuck ourselves and VVD will literally be rotting in Southampton's reserves next season.

There hasnt been a club yet to my knowledge that has actually let a major asset rot in the reserves for a full season never mind the next 5 years. I cant see it.

There hasnt been a club yet to my knowledge that has actually let a major asset rot in the reserves for a full season never mind the next 5 years. I cant see it.

Maybe mate, but Southampton might just do it out of spite considering how much they must hate dealing with us and our shitty negotiating tactics.

Perhaps Robertson should be seen as Klopp's replacement for Moreno? He doesn't seem to rate Moreno and if he's happy to bring in a young prospect to shape, he's more than earned the right.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not doing cartwheels about Robertson, but I can see the sense in it, especially if we go big in another couple of positions. He might prove to be an astute signing who will displace Milner in time, but if not, he will likely replace Moreno as the back up left back at cost neutral. It's not the sort of thing I can get unhappy about, and there might yet be a big upside with the lad as Klopp has form for polishing rough diamonds.

I want to leave my wife and only for Alison Brie.

I would suggest that if your wife is anything like mine, should Ms. Brie submit a formal bid at or near your market value (half a packet of Tesco-brand crisps) that your missus would probably let you go quite happily.
  • Upvote 1

There's nothing wrong with our ability to attract players. It all boils down to having owners who won't even spend what the club earns anymore.

Questions have to be asked where the tv money is going

You mean like that time last year when an already over the hill 23 year old with a disease decided to go back to a club where he was hated by the supporters instead of coming here to play for the coach who brought him to the forefront of the game and to be our highest paid player? That's how unattractive we were as a club only a year ago. 

Yeah, there's nothing wrong this year with attracting players because our project is far more enticing. But the fact that we haven't been able to close two 70m deals with the first week of the transfer window coming to a close doesn't mean the owners have no intention of spending that type of money, although, you'd love it if it did because it would prove you right on the internet which is the most important thing, of course. 

You mean like that time last year when an already over the hill 23 year old with a disease decided to go back to a club where he was hated by the supporters instead of coming here to play for the coach who brought him to the forefront of the game and to be our highest paid player? That's how unattractive we were as a club only a year ago. 

Yeah, there's nothing wrong this year with attracting players because our project is far more enticing. But the fact that we haven't been able to close two 70m deals with the first week of the transfer window coming to a close doesn't mean the owners have no intention of spending that type of money, although, you'd love it if it did because it would prove you right on the internet which is the most important thing, of course. 

I think that's a poor argument. Gotze was considered one of the best players in the world only a couple of years ago. His disease was unknown at the time. Dortmund had Champions League football on offer and we didn't. He knew the hierarchy at Dortmund and he knew the league. He only knew Klopp and a few coaches here.

I think that's a poor argument. Gotze was considered one of the best players in the world only a couple of years ago. His disease was unknown at the time. Dortmund had Champions League football on offer and we didn't. He knew the hierarchy at Dortmund and he knew the league. He only knew Klopp and a few coaches here.

That's weird, I thought Champions League football wasn't that important in attracting players? It was reported at the time that he would get around 180k/week, surely that should have been enough to entice him here. Instead, he took a pay cut to go back to a club where he wasn't even wanted. That's how low on the totem pole we were last season. 

That's weird, I thought Champions League football wasn't that important in attracting players? It was reported at the time that he would get around 180k/week, surely that should have been enough to entice him here. Instead, he took a pay cut to go back to a club where he wasn't even wanted. That's how low on the totem pole we were last season.

David Silva

Yaya Toure

Di Maria

Pogba

Lacazette

If we pay the premium, we get them. United and City did, and they got their players. The year we qualified for the CL under Rodgers, we didn't attract any player who wouldn't have come to us without the CL. AC Milan don't look like they're having too much problems signing players despite finishing 6th last season... The opportunity of playing in the CL of course is a plus.. but money is always the main driver.

And yet if he came to us, who were not in the champions league and were willing to pay him more than he'd get elsewhere, then he would be seen as a mercenary who's only interested in money.

Maybe it wasn't a slight on us, maybe he just enjoyed his time at dortmund and felt a small degree of loyalty.

Imagine suarez wanted to come back to the prem, we offer 200 grand a week, and arsenal offer 250 grand a week.

If he chooses us it's not because arsenal are suddenly low on the totem pole compared to us, we can just offer champions league, and he's been here before so knows what he's getting.

But if he chooses arsenal he's a cunt and we wouldn't want him at our club anyway etc

Surely the same thing applies when we're the weaker team in the discussion.

Perhaps Robertson should be seen as Klopp's replacement for Moreno? He doesn't seem to rate Moreno and if he's happy to bring in a young prospect to shape, he's more than earned the right.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not doing cartwheels about Robertson, but I can see the sense in it, especially if we go big in another couple of positions. He might prove to be an astute signing who will displace Milner in time, but if not, he will likely replace Moreno as the back up left back at cost neutral. It's not the sort of thing I can get unhappy about, and there might yet be a big upside with the lad as Klopp has form for polishing rough diamonds.

I know what you mean rev, but that presumes we can get one of these go big signings over the line. I have no faith in that, and then we are stuck with a scotland b international as competition for JM, who did well covering but is in no way tbe answer to an assault on the league and champions league.

Gotze is his own man. Our pull as a football club is not dependent on Mario Gotze and what he feels is the right choice for his career. If he chose to stay in the Bundesliga that's his decision. He could've made that decision based on any number of factors totally unrelated to our pulling power as a club. 

He might've wanted to go back home. He might've wanted to stay in the Bundesliga because he's more comfortable in that surrounding. He might not fancy moving to England. His girlfriend might not want to move. He might not speak English. There's so many variables you're not accounting for. 

We don't actually know what happened. The official story is Klopp got bored waiting around and moved on Mane instead. So it's ambiguous whether he rejected us or not. Mane was signed before Gotze signed for Dortmund.

Besides it's not even the same scenario as this summer so it's apples and oranges. We'll be in the Champions League if we win our qualifier and we have more money than Dortmund.

• Upvote 2

Im fuming about robertson so apologies about my moaning.

Wasnt he subbed off at half time when hull were 4-0 down to palace in the game that confirmed their relegation?

Utter, utter shite.

But im sure Jurgen was monitoring him at Dortmund whilst Robertson was tearing it up at Dundee after he tore it up in the scottish third division after he was released from celtic.

Of course, this could be press bs .....