You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Do you think FSG have a good track record when it comes to transfers? "Yes" or "no" will suffice.

My answer is no.

If only we could boil everything in football down to the most inane yes and no response and pretend it wasn't more nuanced things would be far more simple.

But to make people feel better about themselves lets go with no.

Every single team in the Premier League is shit at transfers, which is why despite the obscene riches of the league, no team has achieved anything of note in the CL this decade besides an incredible fluke.

I'd say only Leicester and maybe Spurs are even remotely competent but then both of them completely fucked up last summer.

No club is universally good, shit, competent or incompetent.

Interesting article on using data to assess a goalie's performance

https://2plus2equals11.com/2017/07/07/thinking-about-goalkeepers/amp/

33137c9eaf2f041dbbe4167214991a40.png

#AnnounceHeaton

That plagiarising bastard definetly reads this forum, he stole my idea*

From his blog

"To investigate some of these issues, I’ve built an expected save model that takes into account shot location and angle, whether the shot is a header or not and shot placement. So a shot taken centrally in the penalty area sailing into the top-corner will be unlikely to be saved, while a long-range shot straight at the keeper in the centre of goal should usually prove easier to handle."

Karius thread in december.

I'm not the one basing everything on a single statistic.

At the very least I'd be looking at how the goals were scored, from where and the destination of the shot.

Like I said beforenot all shots are created equally so as much emphasis would need to be placed on the shot itself as the goal.

If you drew a grid over the mouth of the goal (say 3 across 2 down for simplicity) then the 2 boxes either side of the goal would have a lower save possibility than the 2 centre boxes (the more complex the grid the greater the change in weighting and accuracy).

Likewise if you drew a grid across the penalty area you could assign a weighting to the likely hood of a goal being scored (further back or further to the sides would have a lower weighting chance than those dead centre there are a few different concepts floating around on this and the rest of what I'm saying), you'd have to account for other factors but let's keep it simple.

Now you'd expect a shot from further back or to the side going to the centre of the goal to have a lower chance of scoring and a higher chance of being saved than a shot from central going into the top corner.

If you then plotted each goal scored against a keeper or keepers you would, in theory, have a far more accurate representation of your shots to saves statistic.

Obviously the above doesn't account for things like deflections but it's a start.

*that I may have stolen from elsewhere

Every single big team in the Premier League is shit at transfers, which is why despite the obscene riches of the league, no team has achieved anything of note in the CL this decade besides an incredible fluke.

Manchester City being the shining beacons in this regard.

Unlimited wealth and a fancy manager, yet they can't even attract the very best players in England, let alone those in other leagues. 

Who was our last next level signing ? Torres ? I know Suarez turned out world class but there was no great fanfare when we got him and Mascherano came from west ham where he wasn't even playing much. The club seems scared to take that 'next step'.

If only we could boil everything in football down to the most inane yes and no response and pretend it wasn't more nuanced things would be far more simple.

But to make people feel better about themselves lets go with no.

Nothing wrong with a yes/no question and response.  It cuts through all the muddle.

So you dont think suarez, coutinho, lallana, matip, mane, firmino, salah, wijnaldum, sakho, lovren, clyne, milner and the like dont count as a good track record?

No, that's you cherry picking all the successful signings and ignoring everything else. 

Nothing wrong with a yes/no question and response. It cuts through all the muddle.

Detail and context are important.

I don't think we're exceptionally bad or good and the detail would probably point fo the fact that in relation to other clubs we're not doing anything exceptional either way.

But yes or no definitely conveys that....

How so, I think everyone would benefit from a little perspective on here.

Yeah, like I'm going to answer that and get drawn further into this nonsense.  

It's interesting to note that you spend a supreme amount of time and effort defending FSG's approach to transfers yet when pressed don't think they have a good track record in this respect.

• Upvote 1

Our way is virtually identical to how most clubs (without a specific sporting director/DoF) do it.

More so with Klopp having more power.

Really? Can't remember grovelling apologies from any other clubs, embarrassing climb downs or leaving so many players out on a limb when they've stated that they want to sign for you.

Big clubs act like big clubs.

• Upvote 1