You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

id give daniel another go this season i know his iniury record but he is best finisher we got and klopps style is to share goals around  and it means we lay our budget on keita,van dijk and a left back we can challenge for league with that squad

• Upvote 1

I agree with Clarence's comments about Sturridge being the most natural striker in the team, movement wise.

A lot of Firmino's movement is into the channels or back toward his own goal. Sturridge tries to get in behind or in the gaps between centre back and full back.

But, let's not kid ourselves. He's fucked. He's all but done as a top level player. Far too unreliable. And he can't run at full pelt anymore.

We scored a few more goals with him in the team at the end of the season. But, that was against an injury depleted West Ham and a poor Middlesbrough.

I'd get rid. Get his wages off the books. Try and get a half decent fee. Talk of £25-30m is mad. We'd be lucky to get £15m. £10m would be my guess.

We should be all over Lacazette, if the rumoured price that Arsenal are paying is accurate.

About the standard of half the teams in the league.

In a side with Keita and VVD, which has a better chance of controlling games, I reckon Sturridge can still offer something. In one that's full of AMs in every position running about a lot, he's very much the odd man out.

Oh yes. Nail on head.

Klopp requires some element of "defence", to a certain extent, from every player on the pitch.

As, much like the previous fella, he refuses to play a designated DM.

So that completely fucks Sturridge as a meaningful option to start games.

Just can't do the miles.

Looks like klopp is happy with the majority of the squad and is looking to add to first 11 with Keita, van dijk, salah then have solanke, oxlade-chamberlain and robertson for the squad.

----------------mignolet--------------

-----------------karius---------------

Clyne-----Matip-------van dijk---milner

TAA------Lovren-------klavan----robertson

-----------------henderson---------------

------------------can--------------------

----------keita-----------coutinho-------

--------wijnaldum---------lallana--------

-------oxlade-chamb----------grujic--------

Salah-------------Firmino-----------Mane

------------------sturridge--------------

-------------------origi-----------------

-------------------solanke---------------

--------------------ings-----------------

If we sign Keita and VVD then I'm fine if we wait until next summer to go bigger on a striker. It could be Timo Werner by then, but he would cost a pretty penny.

I'm not overly bothered if Sturridge stays or goes. We all know the score on either side of that debate. If we don't have the money to prioritize a top striker after Keita and VVD then we have plenty of options as is. Upgrade with a top striker next summer.

Some bloke from Yahoo Sport saying we've bid £12m for Sevilla goalkeeper Sergio Rico. Who has a £30m release clause....

It's the amount it would take to buy himself out of his contract, like most spanish based players it often doesn't match what a team expect to recieve.

Nah mate, you can't attract decent players without CL football.

Turns out even footballers can appreciate the difference between missing out 1 year in 20+ compared to being in the competition far less consistently.

Now for the fans to catch up...

Lacazette to Arsenal for relatively modest fee is greatly annoying.

The fact we weren't even in the hunt suggests we arent going for a striker at all.

Which is foolishness.

Klopp seems to believe we can get by with this bomb load of attacking midfielders and wide forwards - i suppose it can be argued that goalscoring wasn't a massive problem for us last season but i would personally like to see a genuine proper striker as the focal point of our attack.

I'd like a striker, but only if he's up there with the very best in the world.

if you weigh up likely goals between our attacking players, I really can't see a shortage of goals again this season. 

Id' be happy with someone like Luis Suarez though!

Mane - 15-20

Coutinho 10-15

Firminho -10-15

Salah  8-10

Lallana - 5-10

Henderson 3-7

Can - 3-5

Milner penalties - 27

• Upvote 3

Klopp converted Aubameyang into a CF and I reckon he sees Firmino as a similar type. Either way, goals haven't really been our problem, it's the knock on effect of deficiencies in other areas that've turned wins into draws and losses.

I don't mind Firmino starting in the bigger games, as that's when his defensive attributes really shine. Against lower midtable teams, if he's to play, then it has to be in one of the AM roles, or not at all. As a CF, he lacks the know-how.. he doesn't make the right runs, and his pressing is not overly useful as they just bypass it time and again, hoofing it to the big grock upfront.