You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

SO Van Dijk is as quick/quicker than Mane based on neither player being at full speed and Van Dijk having the angle on Mane. Good tackle but not exactly the proof that Van Dijk is quicker than Mane I was expecting.

Top scouting.

• Upvote 2

SO Van Dijk is as quick/quicker than Mane based on neither player being at full speed and Van Dijk having the angle on Mane. Good tackle but not exactly the proof that Van Dijk is quicker than Mane I was expecting.

Top scouting.

Honestly, never seen anything else this, before.

Anywhere above 50m is insanity and we should abandon the whole idea and turn attention eleswhere. We should be able to find a CB and a left back for that kind of money in places like Portugal, Spain... or somewhere else. We tend to have some kind of fixation with these things and in the process lose sight of other options that could be available.

Never has a player done so little to earn so much acclaim.

I had a look at about a dozen different "team of the season" lists from last summer and couldn't find a single one that included him. Nor could I find any reports linking him with a move, even though all of the richest clubs in the division were in the market for a centre back, with City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal each spending £30m+ on one.

He's had an excellent half season this campaign and suddenly people are talking like he's the second coming of Baresi or Beckenbauer. He's a 26 year old (in a month) who's never played for a top team, never played in Europe, never played at an international tournament, never won anything outside of Scotland and has 12 caps for a piss poor Netherlands side, having not made his international debut until he was 24.

As it stands, his greatest achievement in the game is playing well for a team that was sat in the bottom half of the Premier League by the time he got injured but then rose to 8th in his absence; shining in the same defensive setup that made Lovren, Chambers, Schneiderlin and Romeu look like world beaters.

£60m and £200k a week? Jesus wept.

Oh, nice.

Turns out that I am not in the middle of another episode, again.

I don't really see why sponsors would give a shit about which players we are or aren't linked to in transfer rumours. They care about exposure and being associated with the club doing well.

I've also yet to see any other club in the world actively take time to confirm or deny the players that they are linked with.

Maybe it's because I don't care, but I don't think the majority of fans are being hoodwinked by the club not denying we're interested in expensive players. I think most people care about who we actually sign, how much we spend and how well we do.

Did you see Dave U's latest ESPN thing? I agree with this:

http://www.espnfc.com.au/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3137977/high-priced-targets-like-salah-van-dijk-at-odds-with-liverpools-philosophy

What keeps our sponsors interested is our fans believing we are actually trying. Once that mask falls, we're Everton and we'll get the sponsorship deals that go with it. The sponsors need us kept in the press, kept on TV and all of that stuff that gets them brand awareness.

• Upvote 1

What keeps our sponsors interested is our fans believing we are actually trying. Once that mask falls, we're Everton and we'll get the sponsorship deals that go with it. The sponsors need us kept in the press, kept on TV and all of that stuff that gets them brand awareness.

Come on Barry.

We get sponsorship deals because our matches are on TV a lot, because the club has a large fanbase and worldwide recognition. If we were more successful and on TV more often (i.e. in the Champions League every year) and had one or two more famous players we would get bigger deals.

If we're not successful over time we will not pick up new generations of fans in England and overseas and gradually drift down the sponsorship drainpipe, for sure.

Being linked to players for a couple of months that we might not end up signing, which happens to every single other club in the world, does not have any effect whatsoever.

Come on Barry.

We get sponsorship deals because our matches are on TV a lot, because the club has a large fanbase and worldwide recognition. If we were more successful and on TV more often (i.e. in the Champions League every year) and had one or two more famous players we would get bigger deals.

If we're not successful over time we will not pick up new generations of fans in England and overseas and gradually drift down the sponsorship drainpipe, for sure.

Being linked to players for a couple of months that we might not end up signing, which happens to every single other club in the world, does not have any effect whatsoever.

I think it's all part of the process. It's not just a question of being linked to a couple of players, it's about the false idea we're actually interested in winning. As they say, you can fool some of the people some of the time and that's what FSG aim to do. But this won't last forever. 1 league cup in the 7 years they've been in charge, shows exactly our level of ambition and each summer, this charade papers over the cracks. But year on year more fans are beginning to realise its all shite and the club are treating them as fools.

• Upvote 2