You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

£800 a week at 18. Drug dealer ? Rent boy ? Professional beggar ? ICT prodigy ? Plasterer ?

Nice if you could get it like. I was on £150 a week at 18 and lived like a King. It was 1986 like.

Mate I wish I was a drug dealer, while I'm outside in the freezing cold grafting they are sat in there massive warm house counting their money!

Scaffolding on a power station, nice when they come around, I got spoiled I had 2 in a row when I first started and thought earning £1200 a week was the norm, I was in for a shock a few years later though!

I have an unsupported theory that poverty breeds better players so instead of moving the first team and the academy together or build expensive training facilities they should be forced to play on needle ridden concrete pitches with footballs made of rolled up rags.

You want them to train in your garden?

I don't know what it is but Lacazette seems to be missing something in his game and I haven't seem enough of him to put my finger on it, maybe it's his movement or something but something's off and is probably why none of the top teams have bought him.

Wenger did have a £30m bid rejected for Lacazette in the summer, as was confirmed by Lyon themselves.

https://twitter.com/OL/status/757883190354776064/photo/1

Lacazette will almost certainly play a big role in my football frazzled life ahead.

Either as a goal scoring Liverpool hero while I gloriously bump this thread to point out how awesome I am.......or......while he constantly slices through our defence to complete his hat trick for either Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, or even bloody West ham.....

I can feel it my bones/boner- delete as appropriate 

Not a chance we sign him, fuck knows where these links come from. When he leaves Dortmund he's going to Madrid, thought that was nailed on?

There transfer ban is up in the summer they'll go all out, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Ronaldo leave and they bring in De Gea and Aubameyang just to start, they will go make a massive statement because Utd have overtaken them as the "biggest" club in the world again.

That's how I imagined Suarez came across here in the 13/14 season.

To see a player still so determined despite having so much ability is only going to have a positive impact on the rest of the team. 

I said at the time, he was an excellent example for the younger players, all that ability and still put in a harder shift than anyone else.

There is little surprise really that the best players in the world typically are also the hardest working. 

We can compete with anyone.

We're shit hot at competing, winning is a slightly different matter. 

Lacazette will almost certainly play a big role in my football frazzled life ahead.

Either as a goal scoring Liverpool hero while I gloriously bump this thread to point out how awesome I am.......or......while he constantly slices through our defence to complete his hat trick for either Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, or even bloody West ham.....

I can feel it my bones/boner- delete as appropriate 

Lacazette is basically Sturridge, except that he's not quite as good.  He is fit way more often, but for me he's just not the player we really need up front.  It's more a case of him being easily good enough to upgrade us, but not a good fit for the way we play.

In fact, I'm more than happy to go into next season with Coutinho/Firmino/Mane as our first choice front three.  Add a bit of depth, sure, but a Firmino replacement (which is what Lacazette would be) would hardly be top of my list when shopping.  Any money we have should go towards getting whichever DM and CB Klopp thinks would be the best fit for what he wants to do.

Lacazette is basically Sturridge, except that he's not quite as good.  He is fit way more often, but for me he's just not the player we really need up front.  It's more a case of him being easily good enough to upgrade us, but not a good fit for the way we play.

In fact, I'm more than happy to go into next season with Coutinho/Firmino/Mane as our first choice front three.  Add a bit of depth, sure, but a Firmino replacement (which is what Lacazette would be) would hardly be top of my list when shopping.  Any money we have should go towards getting whichever DM and CB Klopp thinks would be the best fit for what he wants to do.

Largely agree with you regarding the need to spend most of the money on a midfielder and CB because those are bigger problem areas than the attack, but a striker like Lacazette directly gives you results and points. He scores goals, great movement, he can pass, he can go past markers. He's someone who can make a difference and he's far more consistent than Sturridge because he doesn't injure himself every month.

Don't help that Sturridge was a child star and was on £60k a week at 18, that shit must fuck up these boys mentally for years, imagine the shit you'd do if you was on £60k a week at 18. I thought I was the bollocks because I was on £800 a week at 18.

I think some sort of wage cap until players are 21 should be brought in, even if the money is kept in holding until then but being on that sort of money must fuck up most youngsters drive, if it's cold and wet outside why go run around a field when your already a millionaire when you could just stay in your warm luxury house, especially if your not that bothered about playing football. Balotelli is another he was supposed to be so good at 17/18 he had all the money in the world but doesn't seem like he enjoys playing football so therefore doesn't give a fuck about working hard to become better. What's the point in getting better and working harder when you can make exactly same by not doing anything at all except fucking about with your mates and letting off fireworks.

How the hell were you earning £800 a week at 18?

Mate I wish I was a drug dealer, while I'm outside in the freezing cold grafting they are sat in there massive warm house counting their money!

Scaffolding on a power station, nice when they come around, I got spoiled I had 2 in a row when I first started and thought earning £1200 a week was the norm, I was in for a shock a few years later though!

To be fair in my early 20's I was clearing £150 a day working away on the building, early 90's that.

How the hell were you earning £800 a week at 18?

Scaffolding on power stations mate, like I've said when they come around local they are amazing but otherwise you've got to go round the country chasing money. It gives you a distorted view of money though. So imagine what these young footballers are like!

I'm on board with the view Ne Moe expressed - get the best central defender and central midfielder we can as the priorities. Van Dijk and Kessie would be very good.

After that, for all the talk of Aubemayang or Lacazette or whoever, a front three of Coutinho, Firmino and Mane is very good indeed. Just needs more depth, and as we've seen this season, especially in the wide areas. So if that means Brandt, or someone like that, perhaps someone faster like Williams, then bring it on.

Three good players would be essential for our future prospects, but in addition to those three we may need a goalkeeper and a left back.

Big summer needed, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Just sign Ruben Loftus Cheek for the defensive midfield position. I can see him being loaned to the Bundesliga and being next seasons Gnabry. He's a good player that lad. 

Another young player Chelsea is fucking over. Looked every bit as good as Alli in the England youth teams.

Another Chelsea player I would definitely try get a bid in for is Christensen. I much prefer him to Tah. Can't see them selling to us though.