You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14842615

Southampton objects to Liverpool cruise terminal plan
_55381636_55381635.jpgImage captionEach cruise ship stopping in Southampton is thought to be worth £2m to the local economy

Campaigners aiming to prevent Liverpool rivalling Southampton as a cruise port have handed in a petition to 10 Downing Street.

It comes at the end of the government consultation over whether cruises can start and end in Merseyside.

Southampton's Chamber of Trade gathered nearly 12,000 signatures, claiming public funding of Liverpool's terminal is an unfair advantage.

It says each cruise visit generates £2m for Southampton's economy.

Port officials, MPs, business and council leaders in Southampton have objected to the development of cruise turnaround facilities in Liverpool.

Public funding of Liverpool's Pier Head development, including the cruise terminal, which opened in 2007, was made under the condition that it was only used for cruise stop-offs, not turnarounds.

In return for lifting the restrictions, Liverpool council has said it would pay back £5m of the £21m of state and EU grants used to build the terminal.

Associated British Ports (ABP), which owns Southampton Docks, argues that if the plans are approved, it would be a misuse of state funds.

'Level playing field'

Jimmy Chestnutt chairman of Southampton Chamber of Trade, who led the delegation to Downing Street, said: "We have no objection, providing Liverpool pay back that subsidy, if they want to go into the cruise industry and operate turnaround cruises.

"We are not concerned about competition. Southampton will fight on a level playing field - this is about subsidising a competitor.

"Any trade that goes from here [southampton] will have an impact on the income of the florists, the taxi drivers, the restaurants and the people who work on and around the port. Let's not forget the real impact on people's livelihoods," he added.

A decision following the Department of Transport consultation on Liverpool's plans is expected by the end of the year.

We can't even buy a player while Man City have just bought a whole new team. I don't mean a new first XI. An actual separate team - Girona in La Liga.

Why is stuff like this allowed to happen? It's all a bit fucked up.

"He's a good player. Not quite good enough yet. But let's stop a rival team buying him by snapping him up and loaning him out to our affiliate club for 3 seasons."

Fucking madness.

Hilarious that Mancs call scousers bindippers. I've been to Manchester quite a lot and even though it's had lots of money spent on it it's still populated by smelly scruffy cunts who look like they've kipped on park benches the night before.

You then have all these people who live in utter shit holes like Bolton, Oldham, Hull, Middlesbrough and Stoke trying to make out Liverpool is some backward shithole and their places are far much better.

Shitholes with high unemployment and fans singing sign on never fails to amuse me. London teams fans singing sign on to Doctors, Knights of the Realm and othe southern fans.

Stumbled upon Brendan Burns yesterday - he likes scousers.

Tried to play his breakdown as a joke trying to ironically prove we have no sense of humour The actual case was he was abusive in a Liverpool gig and someone asked how his girlfriend who dumped him was.

been back since of course. Remember watching another one of his comedy attempts, planting an Asian women in the audience and having her walk out. Cunt.

_55381636_55381635.jpgach cruise ship stopping in Southampton is thought to be worth £2m to the local economy

Campaigners aiming to prevent Liverpool rivalling Southampton as a cruise port have handed in a petition to 10 Downing Street.................

We'll need it for John's new yacht.......

Hilarious that Mancs call scousers bindippers. I've been to Manchester quite a lot and even though it's had lots of money spent on it it's still populated by smelly scruffy cunts who look like they've kipped on park benches the night before.

You then have all these people who live in utter shit holes like Bolton, Oldham, Hull, Middlesbrough and Stoke trying to make out Liverpool is some backward shithole and their places are far much better.

I've worked in Rochdale and Oldham and I was honestly baffled by Lliverpool's a shithole" stuff they come out with. When you look around there it's like nothing has changed from the 80's. the buildings are literally falling apart and they make our roads looks good. Their city centre is nice so that's obviously where the money has been spent but it's not like it looks much better than Liverpool's now.

In terms of the people there I don't like getting into the Mancs are dickheads etc because I think it's hypocritical. It's a kind of racism in my opinion and we are at the bottom rung of it. I will tell you one specific experience of working there though. I worked in an office and used to have to be at the Rochdale one about once or twice a week. I reckon at least once every two or three times of being there I had to deal with people I'd never met before just walking up to me doing some shit scouse accent, asking me a loaded football question and calling me deluded before I'd even answered or simply just making thinly veiled comments about spending time on the dole or nobody working in Liverpool.

Now obviously you get dickheads everywhere but not in one office I've worked in, in Liverpool have I ever seen anybody never mind a lot of people behave like that to another person from a different city in a work place.

We can't even buy a player while Man City have just bought a whole new team. I don't mean a new first XI. An actual separate team - Girona in La Liga.

Why is stuff like this allowed to happen? It's all a bit fucked up.

"He's a good player. Not quite good enough yet. But let's stop a rival team buying him by snapping him up and loaning him out to our affiliate club for 3 seasons."

Fucking madness.

It's their owners who are buying Girona, not Man City the club itself. It's an addition to the owners' portfolio like the clubs they have in New York and Melbourne for example. Their owners aren't the first to do something like this either, what with the company Red Bull (Leipzig, Salzburg, New York etc) and the Pozzo family (Watford, Udinese etc) also owning multiple clubs.

I was only born in 1985. My dad hates everybody though. He went everywhere watching Liverpool so I'm guessing that's why.

You went to work away and they'd talk about signing on. 'I'm standing next to you on a building site working mate ? '

So many worked down South jobs easy to come by ? why was anyone unemployed down South then ?

It was laughable at times and only occasionally did i lose my rag. The Midlands in early 90's was worse, Coventry for fuck sake.

Remember losing it with a man and wife on holiday in Turkey years ago, Southerners with no idea typical stereotyping twats. Changed their views somewhat,

never heard a peep the rest of the holiday. Easy targets brought on by footballing jealousy and Tory late 70s and 80's media propaganda.

• Upvote 1

Tried to play his breakdown as a joke trying to ironically prove we have no sense of humour The actual case was he was abusive in a Liverpool gig and someone asked how his girlfriend who dumped him was.

been back since of course. Remember watching another one of his comedy attempts, planting an Asian women in the audience and having her walk out. Cunt.

He is a cunt. Apparently it was a football site that brought his views to attention.