You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Gomez isn't good enough...

Not yet - he may be in time but he is 20 years old and actually is behind in his development due to the chronic injury problems he has had.

He should be out on loan somewhere like Brighton and then lets see how he looks - but due to our paucity of options he is needed here - simply not right for a supposed top 4/CL side.

Lad has virtually zero top flight experience - virtually zero first team experience and what he does have is mainly in the 2nd tier.

Yeah yeah, but what's the mark up on this fuckin Limey??

Hope the club have started drafting up the statement for this summer. Probably only have to change a couple of names.

But a summer window which brought in three young, but significantly talented starters in Joe Allen, Nuri Sahin and Fabio Borini as well as two exciting young potential stars of the future – Samed Yesil and Oussama Assaidi – could hardly be deemed a failure as we build for the future.

Nor should anyone minimise the importance of keeping our best players during this window. We successfully retained Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Luis Suárez. We greatly appreciate their faith and belief in the club. And we successfully negotiated new, long-term contracts with Luis and with Martin.

• Upvote 1

Hope the club have started drafting up the statement for this summer. Probably only have to change a couple of names.

To save them time, I did it myself.

But a summer window which brought in two young, but significantly talented starters in Mohammed Salah and Andy Robertson, as well as an exciting young potential star of the future – Dominic Solanke – could hardly be deemed a failure as we build for the future.

Nor should anyone minimise the importance of keeping our best players during this window. We successfully retained Emre Can, Sadio Mane and Phillipe Coutinho. We greatly appreciate their faith and belief in the club. And we also welcome the return of Daniel Sturridge, who himself will be like a new signing this year.

• Upvote 1

Well, as Klopp was continually having players sold out from under him at Dortmund he had every reason to be pissed off with the owners there, so it should be pretty easy to find out if he has form for slagging off his bosses.

People are already buying into the utter hypocrisy of resenting Coutinho, while praying (yes you Rev) that Keita, Van Dyk and anyone we're supposedly interested in do the same thing at their clubs in order to move to us. FSG are a dull poison. They are slowly but surely severing the links between our passion and the club we love. I've said it before but hardcore fans are starting to do other things, and there is no new iteration of new blood to fill their place. It doesn't take a genius to see a future where we are a poorly supported 2nd rate club living on ancient history. Me personally I'm not fucking having it, which is why we should get rid of these wankers pronto. Henry should have been at the fucking game today the massive jellyfish. FSG out.

On the part where I'm referenced, I'd like to make clear that I do not resent Coutinho at all. He has been given a chance to go to bigger and better, probably for more money, and to a culture and climate that is likely closer to home for his family. Good luck to the lad if he can get there.

Generally I'm not in favour of keeping a player who wants to leave, but it has to be win-win, and if we can't find a suitable replacement, and close some other much needed deals, then Coutinho is going to have to wait and give us another year to get our ducks in a row.

As for the hypocrisy, I've said a few times this summer that it's a dog eat dog world. What we do to Southampton they do to Celtic and Barcelona are doing to us. It's just football. Our place in the food chain is such that the amount of clubs who can come for our players is relatively small, though larger than it used to be. It would appear that Barcelona have just discovered that for themselves this summer, with the riches at PSG making them vulnerable like never before.

As for the owners, they came in and said they'd grow the revenue of the club and we would live off our means. By and large that appears to be what they have done, though others with a greater knowledge of the books might offer an expert view otherwise.

With the relaxation of FFP it doesn't look like that will be enough to compete for titles, apart from the outside chance that a few stars align. Hopefully the relaxation of FFP will mean they will sell, likely for 4x what they bought us for. Then again, perhaps with the new TV deal they've revised that and are now content to keep us there or thereabouts, as the outlay to go higher is too much, and actually fighting, and staying, at or very near to the very top, is far from guaranteed, even with a greater outlay.

If we do get a new owner I'm not naive enough to think that they would automatically improve our lot. We might get lucky but more likely we would come unstuck. The uncertainty of the outcome, coupled with the fact that I don't think the current owners are THAT bad, means that I'd struggle to get on board with a protest to try to get an ownership change.

It might come to that, but speaking personally, I'm not there yet.

• Upvote 2