You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

This is the problem that FSG face now - the fans do not trust them. There has been so much incompetence and ineptness with the way the club's transfer dealings have been run since they took charge that nobody is prepared to cut them any slack and a lot of people are assuming the worst.

I have no trust in them to get a deal as complicated as Keita over the line because quite simply they haven't earned it.

I don't think it is a problem for FSG if the fans dont trust them. The fans will have zero impact on any plan they have.

• Upvote 1

I reckon Lucas going indicates Keita is looking very likely, but Van Dijk is anyone's guess. Southampton could wait and see if anyone else is going to enter the fray, but doing so would deny their new manager the funds to spend.

I'm feeling optimistic that we'll get both.

We will. Not sweating on either one, at all.

I think you are right about their previous and trust. But, that doesn't mean the fans are right! I think if you do target a higher standard of players they tend to be ones that the club doesn't want to sell - which means negotiations can be protracted. 

Someone fucked up with VVD - which has just wound everyone up. But I still think he will end up with us. 

I'm not sure we'll get Keita. I think RB believe that if they sell him now - they'll always be seen as a selling club. 

Leipzig have no leg to stand on if they don't sell an unhappy player. Same with Southampton. Their whole strategy is buy these players and give them a platform to shine before selling them on for big money. If they refuse to sell them then players might think twice about going there. It's like us refusing to sell Coutinho to Barcelona if they're offering 100m.

We'll get both because we're prepared to give ridiculous money for them.

Leipzig have no leg to stand on if they don't sell an unhappy player. Same with Southampton. Their whole strategy is buy these players and give them a platform to shine before selling them on for big money. If they refuse to sell them then players might think twice about going there. It's like us refusing to sell Coutinho to Barcelona if they're offering 100m.

I do disagree. 

I get the impression they have big ambitions for Leipzig, and Keita is a statement of intent. I don't think they are Southampton - but hopefully you are right! 

I do disagree. 

I get the impression they have big ambitions for Leipzig, and Keita is a statement of intent. I don't think they are Southampton - but hopefully you are right! 

Their big ambitions will only work if they start paying big wages. I don't know how much Keita is on at Leipzig but I would guess at below 100K/week. We've offered him 130K/week if you believe the reports, they certainly can't compete with that, unless Mr Red Bull decides to do a Mansour or Abramovich. City only attracted the likes of Toure, Silva and Aguero by offering in excess of 200K/week.

You have a point about Southampton they are a a selling club but they have kept players in the past like Schnedlin and Wanayama on their terms. Leipzig are a bit of an unknown quantity but unlike Southampton they actually have ambitions to win the league and compete in Europe. Their owner isn't exactly poor.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Mateschitz

I also suspect part of their thinking is a good showing in the Champions League will help the status of their club on a global basis (8yr old club). I'm pretty sure they are the only East German club in the top league despite the hatred they get it's a massive untapped area. Add German clubs tend to be efficient in they plan ahead with incoming and outgoings being conducted several months ahead.

Thirdly you are overlooking the elephant in the room, FSG so far have focused directly on getting what they perceive to be value in the transfer market. The idea of overpaying in their mind disgusts them. I reckon Van Dijk is more likely due to who his agent is and Southampton are Southampton. His agent is one of the most experienced he's been around that long he gave Raoila a job back in the day. Even then I give Keita a 2/10 and Van Dijk a 4/10 chance, this assumes someone pays silly money for that dope Sakho.

Patience is wearing thin with a lot of fans. Time to speculate to accumilate, don't stand still while others move on up.

Completely agree.

"This is a club that likes to talk and talk."

Nothing has changed in the ten years since Benitez said that. Time for the owners to show they want to win or clear their desks. I don't think we will ever do anything but tread water with them. Would love to be proven wrong.

Aguero to Chelsea might be on the cards.

He's still City's best player by a distance, but a club that spends £100m on John Stones and Kyle Walker (both under Guardiola's watch) is capable of any kind of stupidity.

The obvious downside would be Chelsea running away with the title again.

He's still City's best player by a distance, but a club that spends £100m on John Stones and Kyle Walker (both under Guardiola's watch) is capable of any kind of stupidity.

The obvious downside would be Chelsea running away with the title again.

Spot on mate,but if he wants away and Madrid and Barca don't want him which they don't Chelsea might be the big money move he's after.

Their big ambitions will only work if they start paying big wages. I don't know how much Keita is on at Leipzig but I would guess at below 100K/week. We've offered him 130K/week if you believe the reports, they certainly can't compete with that, unless Mr Red Bull decides to do a Mansour or Abramovich. City only attracted the likes of Toure, Silva and Aguero by offering in excess of 200K/week.

That maybe the reason why they don't make it. But, one year into the project that seems to be their ambition. 

They gave way on the £77 tickets soon enough.

Rightly so on ticket prices. But you expect walk outs and protests everytime they don't sign a player we want or negotiate on price to end up fucking it up? That will be a lot of protests and walk outs. Basically we want owners with no concept of cash flow and limitless budget.

Rightly so on ticket prices. But you expect walk outs and protests everytime they don't sign a player we want or negotiate on price to end up fucking it up? That will be a lot of protests and walk outs. Basically we want owners with no concept of cash flow and limitless budget.

Exactly. Get it sorted.

• Upvote 1

I'm at that point now. We've tried doing it the "right and proper" way and it isn't working.

I do also severely question the ambition of the owners. They are happy to plod along dabbling in Champions League football whilst maximising TV money and transfer sales. It obviously isn't going to end like the last owners with protests and marches and stopping them getting in their own stadium but all it will take is a poor start to the season and the atmosphere will become poisonous very quickly. I don't know anyone who thinks these are good owners.

It is time for them to pay up and spend some serious money.

This "we're doing our best but sometimes the other club doesn't want to sell" line is embarrassing and boring in equal measure.

It's like saying "hey we tried to be the premier league champions but sometimes the teams we play against just don't let us win".

Competing. Does the club know what the fuck the word means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk