You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Daniel Levy doesn't see the irony in this... the worlds best hardball chairman

Tottenham are ready to go back to Everton with an offer for Ross Barkley, according to The Independent.

Barkley only has one year left on his deal at Goodison Park but Everton had originally been holding out for £50m.

However, reports suggest Daniel Levy feels that valuation is unrealistic. 

I can only speak for myself but what i am struggling to get my head around is how the club seem so unhurried to fix the problems in a squad that were and are blindingly obvious.

The squad was so stretched last season just on 3 fronts never mind the 4 it is going to have to fight on this season, we had to put benches out made up of kids and the walking dead....Lucas had to play 25 games being needed at centre half and in midfield.

Yes we were unlucky with injuries but we will be again - we have a number of injury prone players. I'd say it is very unlikely these players will suddenly be injury free.

Where is the upgrading to strengthen us?

We are letting Lucas go who was needed in two positions last season - our centre half options are now Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez - that is one arguably good enough starter (just had a bad season with injuries) one arguably decent back up (injury prone, never managed 30 league games in a season in his time with us) one player nowhere near good enough and a kid who has spent most of his time with us injured. Even adding VDV to that it is hardly an embarrassment of riches is it?

What is next? Milner as the new Lucas - this Robertson kid at LB and Milner filling in at centre half during the busy times when games are coming thick and fast and the knocks/tiredness kick in.

We seem to be happy to keep the perma crocked Sturridge around in some vain hope he is going to suddenly change and be an option when really needed.

We have as said let Lucas go that is one less body available in a midfield that was so stretched last season he was was needed regularly....he is gone and the options there are weakened by his going even if it is only numerically - what is the plan? Kev Stewart stepping up is he?

I am sure adding Keita and VVD will of course make it look different, but these deals are nowhere near nailed on and it makes me wonder that if these fail where is the back up plan but also in the absence of good solid additions to the squad to just add depth and upgrade just why are we so seemingly inactive.

• Upvote 4

FCSB (ROU) v Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
Nice (FRA) v Ajax (NED)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) v Young Boys (SUI)
AEK Athens (GRE) v CSKA Moskva (RUS)
Club Brugge (BEL) v İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)

Winner of FCSB v Plezen please.

Agree with most of that an tha. Maybe we expect Grujic to stay fit and become Premier League quality and take Lucas's minutes in midfield.

For me though the defence needs numbers as much as quality. Klavan is far below the required standard, Matip misses lots of games, Milner and Clyne need rotating and Lovren should be given a free transfer for being a stupid shit cunt. I'd have been in for two new first choice centre backs with Matip stepping in as needed when fit and a new first choice left back at a minimum.

Agree with most of that an tha. Maybe we expect Grujic to stay fit and become Premier League quality and take Lucas's minutes in midfield.

For me though the defence needs numbers as much as quality. Klavan is far below the required standard, Matip misses lots of games, Milner and Clyne need rotating and Lovren should be given a free transfer for being a stupid shit cunt. I'd have been in for two new first choice centre backs with Matip stepping in as needed when fit and a new first choice left back at a minimum.

Decent shouts...Grujic i suppose is the hope but again he seems to be another made of crisps.

Our defensive options are woeful even allowing for TAA kicking on this year.

FCSB (ROU) v Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)

Nice (FRA) v Ajax (NED)

Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) v Young Boys (SUI)

AEK Athens (GRE) v CSKA Moskva (RUS)

Club Brugge (BEL) v İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)

Winner of FCSB v Plezen please.

Plzeň, the home of pilsner? Yes, please...

Daniel Levy doesn't see the irony in this... the worlds best hardball chairman

Tottenham are ready to go back to Everton with an offer for Ross Barkley, according to The Independent.

Barkley only has one year left on his deal at Goodison Park but Everton had originally been holding out for £50m.

However, reports suggest Daniel Levy feels that valuation is unrealistic. 

Not really sure why they'd have any interest in him when they have Delle Alli, a vastly superior footballer in every regard in a similar position.

I'm hoping that if we confirm our place in the champions league proper then FSG will stump up the money.

I can't see any more incomings until then.

I doubt even FSG are stupid enough to opt for that strategy.

If you think it's hard getting Keita out of Leipzig now, it's nothing compared to going back in mid August when the season has started.

• Upvote 1

This is the problem that FSG face now - the fans do not trust them. There has been so much incompetence and ineptness with the way the club's transfer dealings have been run since they took charge that nobody is prepared to cut them any slack and a lot of people are assuming the worst.

I have no trust in them to get a deal as complicated as Keita over the line because quite simply they haven't earned it.

• Upvote 4

Jurgen Klopp has attempted once again to alleviate concerns over Liverpool’s perceived lack of transfer activity.

The Reds have signed two players so far this summer, with Dominic Solanke and Mohamed Salah arriving from Chelsea and Roma respectively

Both are forwards however, and the club are more in need of defenders as they embark on a season back in the Champions League.

The manager has identified two key targets – Naby Keita of RB Leipzig and Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk – and is reluctant to pursue other players.

Klopp’s summer gamble may yet pay off, but there is every chance it will not.

“We pretty much have all what you need,” he said at the weekend amid concerns. “But at the end it is still business, whether you have the money.

“You go out and see the car that you have been dreaming about your whole life. You say ‘here is the money’ but they say to you ‘I don’t want to sell the car’. You say ‘but I have got the money!’ but they say ‘I don’t want to sell.’

“Things like this happen in life, not only football. It is not about this. They say ‘go for another car in another colour’ but you say ‘that’s ok but I want this’. It is pretty simple. You can imagine how it works. It is not that we are doing something that other clubs aren’t doing. Or we are more silly or they are more smart.

“We have the money, we have different things but it is still like this. We want to have the right things (and not) just do something. It is not about a number. It is about how it fits together. We will see. If they (Liverpool’s owners) could make it quicker, you can imagine they would be here and trying. It’s not about money or something like this.’

“If I could decide alone, we would be complete from the last day of last season. It would be done, shoot, there’s the new team. Thank you very much and all the rest. But that is dreamland and I am used to doing all the things.

“I can imagine if you are not involved it is annoying for fans. They think ‘Oh my God! Nothing happens here! Everything happens there!’

“We cannot think like this. I like to have everyone here for the first day of training at the latest. But that is not possible anymore and probably won’t be possible again in the world, especially in England. So why should I moan about it?”

This is the problem that FSG face now - the fans do not trust them. There has been so much incompetence and ineptness with the way the club's transfer dealings have been run since they took charge that nobody is prepared to cut them any slack and a lot of people are assuming the worst.

I have no trust in them to get a deal as complicated as Keita over the line because quite simply they haven't earned it.

I think you are right about their previous and trust. But, that doesn't mean the fans are right! I think if you do target a higher standard of players they tend to be ones that the club doesn't want to sell - which means negotiations can be protracted. 

Someone fucked up with VVD - which has just wound everyone up. But I still think he will end up with us. 

I'm not sure we'll get Keita. I think RB believe that if they sell him now - they'll always be seen as a selling club.