You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Yeah, like I'm going to answer that and get drawn further into this nonsense.

It's interesting to note that you spend a supreme amount of time and effort defending FSG's approach to transfers yet when pressed don't think they have a good track record in this respect.

A) not defending FSG defending the mechanics of transfers and how it applies across the board.

B ) playing to the mob, as I said given you don't like detail then agreeing with you and others was the easiest option especially when the answer is neither flat yes or a flat no as a Yes would have had people descending into madness.

The best thing about all of this is it isn't the detail people don't like it's the detail when it's perceived to be defending the club.

When it's neutral or in reference to whats happening at another club people have far less of an issue with it but god help anyone who says exactly the same in relation to us.

Really? Can't remember grovelling apologies from any other clubs, embarrassing climb downs or leaving so many players out on a limb when they've stated that they want to sign for you.

Big clubs act like big clubs.

If thats what we were talking about the answer may have been different.

But I agree we should act more like the big clubs, maybe take our lead from the Barcelona's and Madrids on how we should conduct ourselves.

If thats what we were talking about the answer may have been different.

But I agree we should act more like the big clubs, maybe take our lead from the Bar elonas and Madrids on how we should conduct ourselves.

No.

What I would like is to do is enter into constructive negotiations with clubs instead of pissing them off.

If a player then doesn't come for whatever reason then fine.

However, what we seem to do is leak information in an attempt to push the price down - thus pissing the selling team off and putting the player in a bad position of having to push for a move which might not happen and then be left with a bad taste in the mouth from their club and fans.

Before you say that the leaks could have come from anywhere - consider the 2 embarrassing as apologies from this club!!!!

FSG think they are ahead of a curve that nobody else is on and that they are cleverer than they are.

• Upvote 3

No.

What I would like is to do is enter into constructive negotiations with clubs instead of pissing them off.

However, what we seem to do is leak information in an attempt to push the price down - thus pissing the selling team off and putting the player in a bad position of having to push for a move which might not happen and then be left with a bad taste in the mouth from their club and fans.

Before you say that the leaks could have come from anywhere - consider the 2 embarrassing as apologies from this club!!!!

FSG think they are ahead of a curve that nobody else is on and that they are cleverer than they are.

Spot on that.

No.

It would be right to aspire to a position where a club submits a formal bid for a player and, once given permission to speak to him, then agree terms.

It would be wrong to assume we're an outlier in the way the system currently works with the players interest tested before the clubs.

People hang off every word Paul Joyce says then slag off the club for leaking the information to him yet, in his own words, the majority of the information on Keita, as an example, is coming from abroad. Infact I believe he said very little is cominv from the club at the moment, Van Dijk was obviously different.

We say the club should shut up shop then complain that the absence of information is proof of the absence of work being done.

We criticise the club and say how disgraceful it is that we've tapped up a player and how our best players would be well within their rights to want a move to a less morally dubious club then try to ship them off to Barcelona without a hint of irony.

We judge the efficency of other clubs signings by the day they're signed and ours from the day they're first mooted as a target all while ignoring the endless headlines and assuming we should just put the money on the table like they do.

It's an endless stream of contradictions and willful ignorance to whats going on around us, we don't exist in a bubble, we aren't leaving players in limbo and jeopardising their futures, it isn't the most embarrasing thing to ever happen to a club, we're just going the the messy process of transfers the same as everyone else to varying degrees of success.

• Upvote 2

It would be right to aspire to a position where a club submits a formal bid for a player and, once given permission to speak to him, then agree terms.

It would be wrong to assume we're an outlier in the way the system currently works with the players interest tested before the clubs.

People hang off every word Paul Joyce says then slag off the club for leaking the information to him yet, in his own words, the majority of the information on Keita, as an example, is coming from abroad. Infact I believe he said very little is cominv from the club at the moment, Van Dijk was obviously different.

We say the club should shut up shop then complain that the absence of information is proof of the absence of work being done.

We criticise the club and say how disgraceful it is that we've tapped up a player and how our best players would be well within their rights to want a move to a less morally dubious club then try to ship them off to Barcelona without a hint of irony.

We judge the efficency of other clubs signings by the day they're signed and ours from the day they're first mooted as a target all while ignoring the endless headlines and assuming we should just put the money on the table like they do.

It's an endless stream of contradictions and willful ignorance to whats going on around us, we don't exist in a bubble, we aren't leaving players in limbo and jeopardising their futures, it isn't the most embarrasing thing to ever happen to a club, we're just going the the messy process of transfers the same as everyone else to varying degrees of success.

Give it a rest Cardie they need to spend big and make a statement, we are in the CL act like a club with ambition and back the manager and keep the fans happy that's what they're there for,they take enough money off the supporters each season and the club have the money to do it ,no excuses they have this window to do it so get on with it.

• Upvote 4

Yet again you miss the point ( you do that quite a lot so I'm sure it is deliberate)

I don't mind us testing a players interest, everyone does this and there are ways of doing this which doesn't leave you open to upsetting all and sundry and/ or sanctions.

What we need to realise is that if we try to buy players who are under long contracts, we will have to pay a premium.

If your Manager wants this player and you want to back him they you have to pay something like the price on the ticket. That is the market.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember when LFC were the pinicle in Europe and in those days, we may have been able to drive prices down as we all but guaranteed league titles, European cups and other trophies. We didn't act like twats then, and we shouldn't now. Players would have walked over hot coals to come here.

Nowadays, there are other, more successful in a contemporary way at least, options for players and they will go elsewhere whilst all we do is talk a good fight

Shit or get off the pot

• Upvote 6

Yet again you miss the point ( you do that quite a lot so I'm sure it is deliberate)

I don't mind us testing a players interest, everyone does this and there are ways of doing this which doesn't leave you open to upsetting all and sundry and/ or sanctions.

What we need to realise is that if we try to buy players who are under long contracts, we will have to pay a premium.

If your Manager wants this player and you want to back him they you have to pay something like the price on the ticket. That is the market.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember when LFC were the pinicle in Europe and in those days, we may have been able to drive prices down as we all but guaranteed league titles, European cups and other trophies. We didn't act like twats then, and we shouldn't now. Players would have walked over hot coals to come here.

Nowadays, there are other, more successful in a contemporary way at least, options for players and they will go elsewhere whilst all we do is talk a good fight

Shit or get off the pot

Spot on.

We also have to realise that if you want to buy a player on a long contract that the club doesn't want to sell then it's not going to happen on a supporters timescale but on the selling clubs doesn't matter how much money you have or what order you speak to the club and player.

It'd be interesting to know how many times a club is approached before a buying club reaches an agreement with a player/players intermediaries.

We also have to realise that if you want to buy a player on a long contract that the club doesn't want to sell then it's not going to happen on a supporters timescale but on the selling clubs doesn't matter how much money you have or what order you speak to the club and player.

It'd be interesting to know how many times a club is approached before a buying club reaches an agreement with a player/players intermediaries.

Timescale doesn't bother me too much, it's more the actual will to get the transfer done.

If the selling club have no will, move on. The problem I have is that I don't believe the will is here at LFC, although they can't admit it as that wouldn't fit with " we can compete with anyone "

Can and won't are 2 completely different things

Timescale doesn't bother me too much, it's more the actual will to get the transfer done.

If the selling club have no will, move on. The problem I have is that I don't believe the will is here at LFC, although they can't admit it as that wouldn't fit with " we can compete with anyone "

Can and won't are 2 completely different things

If the will wasn't there there's a hell of a lot easier ways to go about it. The bullshit we saw about intentionally tapping up van Dijk to sabotage the deal was bizarre.

Assuming you have kids whats the easieat way not to take them to Disneyland, is it to not mention Disneyland and book somewhere else or tell them they're going string them along and book somewhere else at the last minute?

We might sign Keita and Van Dijk, we might sign one, we might sign different players but it doesn't make the interest any less real.

If the will wasn't there there's a hell of a lot easier ways to go about it. The bullshit we saw about intentionally tapping up van Dijk to sabotage the deal was bizarre.

We might sign Keita and Van Dijk, we might sign one, we might sign different players but it doesn't make the interest any less real.

There is a difference between interest and actually going all out to get your primary target(s)

We have to look like we are trying to keep the sheep interested - doesn't mean we have any intention of actually getting it over the line.

But at least we tried and there is always next year eh? Doesn't bring titles or trophies does though and before you know it, you have gone a decade without winning anything.

I fucking hate the mancs but they were in danger of falling into the wilderness, so they did something about it and got the players they wanted. Hey presto 2 trophies and CL footy. Shows what happens when you have more than an interest in players that improve you

There is a difference between interest and actually going all out to get your primary target(s)

We have to look like we are trying to keep the sheep interested - doesn't mean we have any intention of actually getting it over the line.

But at least we tried and there is always next year eh? Doesn't bring titles or trophies does though and before you know it, you have gone a decade without winning anything.

I fucking hate the mancs but they were in danger of falling into the wilderness, so they did something about it and got the players they wanted. Hey presto 2 trophies and CL footy. Shows what happens when you have more than an interest in players that improve you

Yet United have spent months chasing Griezmann and didn't get him and Mourinho is pissed off they aren't getting the players he wants.

Chelsea's manager is annoyed they haven't signed anyone.

The idea that we 'just pay the money' and we'll sign any player we please is simplistic nonsense.

Yet United have spent months chasing Griezmann and didn't get him and Mourinho is pissed off they aren't getting the players he wants.

The idea that we 'just pay the money' and we'll sign any player we please is simplistic nonsense.

and united moved on from not getting greizman and have put down 75million on Lukaku.

We simply don't behave like a big club when it comes to transfers. The apology to Southampton is one of the most embarrassing moments from a transfer point of view that's happened to us.

The club itself leaked to local journos this summer was going to be a record breaking summer of spending.

Some Fans frustrations is coming from its looking like more of the same under this ownership.

In general the owners have done very good, no debt. In profit lots of commercial deals new stand is brilliant but they shouldn't get a free pass on the way they conduct transfers. Is it 3 January windows we've bought nobody now & spent fuck all last summer.

• Upvote 2

Not suggesting we just " pay the money "

If it is the market price and it's fair then we should pay it, if not, move on don't look like we might and then don't.

We also have to look at the future in some deals. We bauked at the Salah price a few years ago and have now paid 40m ish for him. Prices move on. Keita will possibly be seen as a snip if he progresses well enough.

Never a truer sentence than from the Independent transfer news live thread...

Liverpool's pursuit of Naby Keita is beginning to annoy Leipzig with lots of talk but little action.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-rumours-gossip-live-manchester-united-romelu-lukaku-liverpool-naby-keita-a7828161.html

• Upvote 6

Never a truer sentence than from the Independent transfer news live thread...

Liverpool's pursuit of Naby Keita is beginning to annoy Leipzig with lots of talk but little action.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-rumours-gossip-live-manchester-united-romelu-lukaku-liverpool-naby-keita-a7828161.html

Don't worry Leipzig.  It's annoying us too.

• Upvote 1