You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Ive had a little look at Keita on all the youtubes etc that i could find. Really good player, creative and energetic. Is lightweight a fair description though? He doesnt lack any bottle from what i can see and he seems to press constantly but i cant see what the plan is for him, also taking account of the fact that i thought that Coutinho was also going to be playing centrally this season?

Mignolet

Clyne Matip CB LB

Can Lallana

Mane Coutinho Salah

Firminho

Ward

Lovren

TAA

Wij

Henderson

Milner

Solanke

Sturridge

It looks a decent squad too. I just dont see how we can accomodate Phil and Keita centrally. Thoughts?

We'll have a few more games and we need a deeper squad anyway. Presuming we keep the same 4-3-3 on the go next season I reckon the first choice midfield would be Hendo playing DM behind Keita and Lallana, but there'll still be loads of chances for Wijnaldum and Can to come in.

I could see Coutinho playing central only happening in home games against weaker teams because he doesn't press as well our other midfielders.

CONFIRMED: @RyanSessegnon has signed his first professional contract, keeping him at #ffc until 2020 .

Oddly it actually now allows Liverpool to sign him. On a scholar deal before, under their transfer ban they couldn't have approached him.

Ive had a little look at Keita on all the youtubes etc that i could find. Really good player, creative and energetic. Is lightweight a fair description though? He doesnt lack any bottle from what i can see and he seems to press constantly but i cant see what the plan is for him, also taking account of the fact that i thought that Coutinho was also going to be playing centrally this season?

Mignolet

Clyne Matip CB LB

Can Lallana

Mane Coutinho Salah

Firminho

Ward

Lovren

TAA

Wij

Henderson

Milner

Solanke

Sturridge

It looks a decent squad too. I just dont see how we can accomodate Phil and Keita centrally. Thoughts?

Three of that starting line up in Can, Lallana and Coutinho have a tendency to have big drops in form for 7-8 games in a row before they pick up again. Its in those games that we cry out for a top player, a leader, that lifts those around him not just by passion but by leading by example with the ball and demanding they match it.     

Mignolet

Clyne Matip CB LB

Can Lallana

Mane Coutinho Salah

Firminho

Ward

Lovren

TAA

Wij

Henderson

Milner

Solanke

Sturridge

It would be a midfield three with Coutinho on the left as the attacking player (mirroring Klopps comments and where he played him at the end of the season), Henderson as the central deep lying playmaker and Keita on the right as a box to box player.

Lallana would seem the natural option to replace Coutinho, Wijnaldum would double up on the right and Can (?) As Hendersons under study though all of them can double up in multiple positions.

CONFIRMED: @RyanSessegnon has signed his first professional contract, keeping him at #ffc until 2020 .

Oddly it actually now allows Liverpool to sign him. On a scholar deal before, under their transfer ban they couldn't have approached him.

Good decision. Even if he moves on in a year's time, he needs games against players of different age, ability and experience. Despite the hype behind him, I don't think he would get enough game time here or even at Spurs, and spending too much time with an under-21 set-up at a bigger club will see his progress stagnate. He'd end up being loaned out to a club whose priority is to not get beat rather than one which goes for the jugular.

Not sure talking yourself of out of a grossly overpriced player is the same talking yourself out of ALL players.

You'll be left in the dust with that type of mentality. Ferguson did that for years and ended up with Zaha, Jones, Powell, Young etc when he could've had Bale, Moura and Hazard. 

You'll be left in the dust with that type of mentality. Ferguson did that for years and ended up with Zaha, Jones, Powell, Young etc when he could've had Bale, Moura and Hazard.

Will you?

That mentality doesn't prevent you spending 60 odd million on a player like aubameyang who's had god knows how many seasons as a top striker it just makes you think twice about a 22 year old with 1 season in a top league for 80 million

Will you?

That mentality doesn't prevent you spending 60 odd million on a player like aubameyang who's had god knows how many seasons as a top striker it just makes you think twice about a 22 year old with 1 season in a top league for 80 million

Well Aubameyang is going to China and seeing that we can't pay him £25m a year i would've thought you'd be okay with that. As for Keita having one good season. He's had two. The fees are ridiculous though, but it'll only get more outrageous every year.

At what point do you refuse to play the game in regards to the transfer market? If we walk away then we'll sign inferior quality and we'll be back again in a year or two trying to replace that player when £70m is the going rate for a much less talented player. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool target Naby Keita has ambitions of playing for "one of the very big clubs" but appears to have a preference for Manchester City over Jurgen Klopp's side when it comes to the Premier League.

The highly-rated Guinea midfielder, whom RB Leipzig value at £70m, name-checked City alongside Barcelona and Real Madrid when discussing where he wants to be in a couple of years' time.

According to Welt the 22-year-old turned down a move to England last summer as he felt he needed more development time at a non-Champions League club. However, a successful season in the Bundesliga, in which he helped Leipzig to second place securing Champions League football, has enhanced his profile and now he is now more confident about his abilities.

"I hope, however, that I have the level in two, three years and could play for one of the very big clubs," he told Welt. “This includes Barcelona, but it also includes Real Madrid or Manchester City."

Andros Townsend it is then.

Well Aubameyang is going to China and seeing that we can't pay him £25m a year i would've thought you'd be okay with that. As for Keita having one good season. He's had two. The fees are ridiculous though, but it'll only get more outrageous every year.

At what point do you refuse to play the game in regards to the transfer market? If we walk away then we'll sign inferior quality and we'll be back again in a year or two trying to replace that player when £70m is the going rate for a much less talented player.

It was an example of the principle rather than a specific example.

As for playing the game, it doesn't seem like there's many buying a ticket to this particular game so either we're way ahead of the curve and 80 million (70 sterling) is a snip or he's not quite the generational, irreplaceable player (same with Van Dijk) that we're building him up to be. Most probably haven't seen him play a full 90 minutes.

People seem to be confusing inferior price with inferior quality, which, while it can often be used as an indicator doesn't really apply in this situation as it's more a symptom of Leipzigs financial clout and strong bargaining position as a new CL club than refelection of his ability.

It was an example of the principle rather than a specific example.

As for playing the game, it doesn't seem like there's many buying a ticket to this particular game so either we're way ahead of the curve and 80 million (70 sterling) is a snip or he's not quite the generational, irreplaceable player (same with Van Dijk) that we're building him up to be. Most probably haven't seen him play a full 90 minutes.

People seem to be confusing inferior price with inferior quality, which, while it can often be used as an indicator doesn't really apply in this situation as it's more a symptom of Leipzigs financial clout and strong bargaining position as a new CL club than refelection of his ability.

We're not ahead of the curve, we're way behind the curve. City did this in 2008, Chelsea in 2003. The mancs have been doing this since the 90's. Blackburn did this. Arsenal likewise when they signed Ozil.

He doesn't have to be a once in a generation level player to represent value to us either. He could be the difference for us in terms of finishing inside or outside the top 4 - which after two years will pay for his fee. He could be instrumental in us winning trophies and allow us to attract better players. He could be sold in 4-5 years for a profit. Who knows? The future is unwritten.

What would you rather us do?

We're not ahead of the curve, we're way behind the curve. City did this in 2008, Chelsea in 2003. The mancs have been doing this since the 90's. Blackburn did this. Arsenal likewise when they signed Ozil.

He doesn't have to be a once in a generation level player to represent value to us either. He could be the difference for us in terms of finishing inside or outside the top 4 - which after two years will pay for his fee. He could be instrumental in us winning trophies and allow us to attract better players. He could be sold in 4-5 years for a profit. Who knows? The future is unwritten.

What would you rather us do?

We could be ahead of the curve in regards to Keita given clubs aren't exactly beating a path to his door at the quoted prices.

Ozil was a massive player for Real Madrid, Robinho was Man City's big outlay and he came from Real Madrid, there's really no comparison between Keita and any player those clubs bought in the early days (from memory, no doubt you may be able to find an example).

We're talking the 6th most expensive player ever, and his body of work to date doesn't stack up that well to the rest of the top 10 (with the exception of maybe Oscar who benefits from Chinese inflation).

The pay for himself idea doesn't really work unless you're only signing him, unless we're gonna say every player pays for himself if we get into the top 4 by which point we're probably spending that CL money many times over.

As for what I'd rather do, move on, pick one of the hundred midfielders people have wanted to us to sign before Keita became mainstream in April/May and before people became entranced by the idea of spending 50-80 mill on a player they'd barely seen a month or so later.

Naby Keita has dropped a massive hint he will leave RB Leipzig this summer amid reports he is set for a £70million move to Liverpool.

The Guinean midfielder has been strongly linked with a move to Anfield this summer, with reports stating the Reds could be forced to shatter their transfer record to land the player.

Bundesliga outfit Leipzig are determined to resist all offers for their player though and have steadfastly refused to entertain any bids for Keita, who on Tuesday night was compared to N’Golo Kante.

However, Keita appears ready to move on after apparently bidding his farewells to the club he joined in a £12.75m move from Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg last summer.

“I love Leipzig, and I will never forget this city,” he is quoted by Die Welt, hinting that he could soon move on.

Keita also revealed for the first time that he held talks with Liverpool last summer prior to his move to Leipzig.

The player also admitted to speaking with three other Premier League sides too with Arsenal, Manchester City and Southampton among his suitors.

Keita added, however, that he does have doubts about the price tag Leipzig are placing on him and feels he’s not yet at the level his club are putting him at.

“I hope that I am at the level in two, three years that I could play for one of the very big clubs,” he said, before following up with the following worry claim: “This includes Barcelona, but it also includes Real Madrid or Manchester City!”

Keita to me is worth it. Ask anyone who watches him regularly and they tell you that at 22 years of age, he's already one of the best players in the Bundesliga. Physically, he runs for days, he wins the ball back, he scores goals, his touch and passing are immaculate, he can eliminate players with his dribbling, he can shoot from range. There's nothing he lacks except height. I don't think there's any way he doesn't become world-class unless something happens to him health wise.

van Dijk, on the other hand I just don't see it for the price quoted. He's undoubtedly good but we're talking about a 26 year old who's essentially done nothing important in his career thus far and his price quoted would break the transfer record at his position by more than 20m. That one just seems irresponsible to me. 

• Upvote 1