You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Van Dijk doesn't need to be done right away. He's been injured for half a season and non of the big clubs are going to throw silly money at Southampton without seeing whether he's recovered fully or not. 

Naby Keita however needs to be done right away. If that gets boxed off we can then focus our energy on trying to lure someone like Lacazette. Van Dijk and Southampton can be dragged out to the end of the window.

That would be typical Liverpool that, we need a midfielder lowball his club get rejected then overpay for a striker.

Naby Keita:

“Our initial goal was to achieve top-flight safety as soon as possible. We succeeded brilliantly and by finishing second, we can of course feel more than satisfied.

“But we don’t want to sit back now. We will continue to progress and ride this wave of success for as long as possible.

“We are really keen to discover what the Champions League is all about. Every player dreams of playing in it and we will do everything in our power to make a difference in the tournament.

“The fact that we managed to qualify directly for the group stage of the Champions League is fantastic for our club. Our team is young, hungry and very ambitious.”

Doesn't sound like he's planning to leave.

Naby Keita:

“Our initial goal was to achieve top-flight safety as soon as possible. We succeeded brilliantly and by finishing second, we can of course feel more than satisfied.

“But we don’t want to sit back now. We will continue to progress and ride this wave of success for as long as possible.

“We are really keen to discover what the Champions League is all about. Every player dreams of playing in it and we will do everything in our power to make a difference in the tournament.

“The fact that we managed to qualify directly for the group stage of the Champions League is fantastic for our club. Our team is young, hungry and very ambitious.”

Doesn't sound like he's planning to leave.

Nothing like a £150k+ per week contract to change your mind.

I don't care what he costs and how much we pay him as long as we can afford it, the manager really wants him and it doesn't hinder our pursuit of other players.

We've been crying out for an all action midfielder since Stevies legs went and at his age we could get loads of good years out of him.

Genuine question mate what would his weekly wage be for you ?

We've already brushed off a 20 million increase in projected value as if it's nothing, now we're giving him an additional 36 million (minimum) as if it's nothing.

Kante is on about 110k-120k and is carrying 2 years worth of experience as a premier league champion, in what world is just throwing 150k plus around justifiable in that context.

He falls somewhere in line with that at most.

We've already brushed off a 20 million increase in projected value as if it's nothing, now we're giving him an additional 36 million (minimum) as if it's nothing.

Kante is on about 110k-120k and is carrying 2 years worth of experience as a premier league champion, in what world is just throwing 150k plus around justifiable in that context.

He falls somewhere in line with that at most.

I know what you're saying and agree but unfortunately we are apparently paying Lovren a kings ransom for mediocrity at best. Like you said Keita should be on around what Kante is on at best.

If we pay him £150k and he costs almost £50M I don't really care. The quality is there, and we need quality players. I'm sick of us trying to be cheapskates, or trying to box clever and fall short on too many long shots.

We've saved up our money. It's time for us to have a big summer. I think we may well break our transfer record three times over, but we'll see. I'm not second guessing it now. If we sign VVD and Keita the spine will be significantly stronger. Add a goal scoring winger for the opposite flank to Mane and we are well on the way.

Five good signings this summer please, and three of them might even break our current transfer record. Bring it on. Now isn't the time to complain about prices. It's ridiculous, but we need a barrier breaking summer to try to solidify our current position and hopefully kick on.

• Upvote 2

The baulking at paying the likes of Keita 150k a week whilst right if we are talking about common sense is not right in the mad world of footy at the top end of the top level...

None of them are worth the money they get but when you look at what our rivals pay and what we are giving Sturridge for adding fuck all then in this day and age and because we need the quality then absolutely yes we should go out and offer the likes of Keita (or whoever we decide we need) that type of money.

• Upvote 2

If we pay him £150k and he costs almost £50M I don't really care. The quality is there, and we need quality players. I'm sick of us trying to be cheapskates, or trying to box clever and fall short on too many long shots.

We've saved up our money. It's time for us to have a big summer. I think we may well break our transfer record three times over, but we'll see. I'm not second guessing it now. If we sign VVD and Keita the spine will be significantly stronger. Add a goal scoring winger for the opposite flank to Mane and we are well on the way.

Five good signings this summer please, and three of them might even break our current transfer record. Bring it on. Now isn't the time to complain about prices. It's ridiculous, but we need a barrier breaking summer to try to solidify our current position and hopefully kick on.

Nothing to do with being cheap skates or boxing clever, in March and April he was going to cost between 26 and 30 million, now the club allegedly want 50 million. In what way does that possibly make sound sense and where is the line drawn once that seal has been broken.

If people were being honest, most on here probably haven't seen him play 5 games but most wouldn't be adverse want us to paying whatever it takes to get him because the name has recognition through little more than repetition.

It sounds like I'm having a go at Keita himself but it's the principle I'm having a go at.