You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Where does this thirst for Guardiola to be exposed as a fraud come from? I don't think he's ever proclaimed himself to be a genius, the media just does it for him. I think he's shown himself to be pretty humble, actually.

Didn't say he was a fraud myself and I actually agree with you regarding the media. But it's crazy Arab money and he's expected to spend it. FM becoming reality sadly.

If the rumours about a deal being done for Keita are true I'm very happy. He's got the lot. He started out as a defensive midfielder and bossed it, then moved a bit further forward and bossed it. I think he can do any of the 6, 8 or 10 roles for us. He covers a lot of ground and has great stamina, so I think he will be best used in the 8 role, but in games where we are under pressure a bit more he will tighten it up, and in games where we are on the front foot, he will add assists and weigh in with goals.

He would be a very good signing, and crucially, if Klopp sees him as important to the team he is building to get us to the next level, bring it on.

I think we will break our current transfer record three times over this summer, or at least we will try to. Keita is a great start.

No way I'd pay half that for a full back.

Besides which, he's posted a pic of him in Paris saying "Manchester s changed hasn't it? Calm down"

Full backs are integral to Guardiola's system and they act more like central midfielders for large parts of the game so not surprised he's going all out in that position, he'll struggle to find a Phillip Lahm though.

Man City spending £45m on a left back and now £45m on a keeper from Benfica added to the £50m they've spent on Silva they've started their business real quick

I've never heard of this guy but just looking at his wiki page - he's played about 100 games in his career, in Portugal and is uncapped - £45 million?!

I've never heard of this guy but just looking at his wiki page - he's played about 100 games in his career, in Portugal and is uncapped - £45 million?!

I watch a lot of football, English and the weekly European Football Show on BT and play on FIFA and FM and have literally never heard of the guy either, he must be decent to break a 15 or so year goalkeeping record on though, well for Peps sake anyway!

I watch a lot of football, English and the weekly European Football Show on BT and play on FIFA and FM and have literally never heard of the guy either, he must be decent to break a 15 or so year goalkeeping record on though, well for Peps sake anyway!

I've seen lots of Benfica fans on Reddit say that he's the best keeper they've ever had, and they had Oblak. We'll see.

I wonder how much of a premium City end up paying to have everything wrapped up so quickly?

They'll be finished with the summer's business by mid-June at this rate.  Which is obviously optimal, I just wonder how much it costs them.  Do they pay an extra 10 million, spread across all their purchases, to make sure everyone's hurrying things along?  Or is it more like 20 million?  An extra million to the agent to make sure it's quick, plus meeting the asking price immediately instead of trying to get a better price plus a few addons, etc.?

I know it's something we'll probably never know, but it really does make me curious.

I've seen lots of Benfica fans on Reddit say that he's the best keeper they've ever had, and they had Oblak. We'll see.

He could be, like I've said I've never heard of him so he could be incredible and be the difference between them finishing 3rd and winning the league but it's still quite a bit of money for a keeper.

Why are you comparing Keita to Can and Henderson (or indeed Gerrard for that matter)? He's nothing like any of them. He's a fast dribbler and incisive passer rather than a defensive midfielder.

Haha.

I mean if we finally get our young black central midfielder, but he cannot actually tackle, you'd have to laugh at how perfectly New Liverpool that is.

I wonder how much of a premium City end up paying to have everything wrapped up so quickly?

They'll be finished with the summer's business by mid-June at this rate.  Which is obviously optimal, I just wonder how much it costs them.  Do they pay an extra 10 million, spread across all their purchases, to make sure everyone's hurrying things along?  Or is it more like 20 million?  An extra million to the agent to make sure it's quick, plus meeting the asking price immediately instead of trying to get a better price plus a few addons, etc.?

I know it's something we'll probably never know, but it really does make me curious.

It'll help that both deals have been done through Jorge Mendes' agency, GestiFute, who represent both Bernardo Silva & this lad Ederson from Benfica.

I do wonder how much City are having to pay this agency in fees for these 2 deals? We've all seen the rumours that Pogba's agent, Raiola, is alleged to have picked up ~£40 million as part of the deal that took Pogba back to that lot.

GestiFute pretty much deal exclusively with Portuguese players, or players in the Portuguese league, however, I noticed that they also represent Andre Gray of Burnley...

Who knows, if City need more homegrown players and they do let Iheanacho leave, will they stick in a bid for the Burnley striker? 

It'll help that both deals have been done through Jorge Mendes' agency, GestiFute, who represent both Bernardo Silva & this lad Ederson from Benfica.

I do wonder how much City are having to pay this agency in fees for these 2 deals? We've all seen the rumours that Pogba's agent, Raiola, is alleged to have picked up ~£40 million as part of the deal that took Pogba back to that lot.

GestiFute pretty much deal exclusively with Portuguese players, or players in the Portuguese league, however, I noticed that they also represent Andre Gray of Burnley...

Who knows, if City need more homegrown players and they do let Iheanacho leave, will they stick in a bid for the Burnley striker?

I'd put some money on that now mate while the odds are big, sounds like a good shout to me.