You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

He knows fuck all.

Hence the hilarious arse covering line just one paragraph later;

"Of course, Chelsea and Manchester City (probably) will also be able to offer the 26-year-old elite European football next term, so we’d have to agree a deal with the Saints early to seal the deal".

The it's on was dripping with sarcasm

You fuckers better get used to Henderson being our DM for the foreseeable. As long as Keita adds physicality to the pack that's fine with me.

That's a concern I have about the lad tbh, he get's stuck in and he's busy but he's not a beast by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe I'm just an old cunt {shrugs} ?

Kyle Walker is now odds-on to join Manchester City this summer, with Sky Bet reporting strong backing for the right-back to leave Tottenham.

They can probably tempt most right backs in world football, and they want Kyle Walker?

Looking forward to their £45m deal for Tom Cleverley.

They can probably tempt most right backs in world football, and they want Kyle Walker?

Looking forward to their £45m deal for Tom Cleverley.

The two most effective defenders City have had since they became mega-rich were both signed BEFORE they became mega-rich - Kompany and Zabaleta. One of those is injury prone and the other is now out of favour.

Ne Moe? Can you clarify will we still need a dm if we sign him? Didn't see any clips of him covering marauding full backs and protecting centre backs with spaghetti legs.

Keita is not really a DM. More of a Nainggolan or Edgar Davids type player. He tends to defend mainly from the front, making interceptions within a counter-pressing system rather than covering for advancing full-backs and midfielders. 

Very good dribbling and good vision and passing ability (a bit casual at times but overall very good). On the downside, he tends to get caught ball watching at times and often fails to track opposition midfielders runs as a result, so can't see him as a holding midfielder. Will probably play the Gini role if he signs.

Keita is as far away from being a holding midfielder as it gets, but it's kind of like how Kante is also nowhere near being a holding player for the reason that he's literally everywhere on the pitch. That is, if a "holding midfielder" is defined as a Makelele type player who just stays back protecting the back four. Keita is definitely not that guy but then neither is Kante, for that matter. 

The two most effective defenders City have had since they became mega-rich were both signed BEFORE they became mega-rich - Kompany and Zabaleta. One of those is injury prone and the other is now out of favour.

That's not strictly true. They signed Zabaleta the day before they signed Robinho. Both were signed with the Sheikh's money. Likewise Kompany who was signed only a few days earlier. Zabaleta was going to sign for Juventus but the wages City offered him were too good to refuse. City wouldn't have been able to offer him those wages if the takeover wasn't already in place.

The only real pre-Sheikh City player is Joe Hart.

Keita is not a DM now, but he was in his first season at Salzburg.  He was always versatile, but he played the same role Henderson does for us.  Then they saw how good he was and he moved further forward to play almost as an attacking midfielder/second striker, at which he was amazing.

Since his move to Leipzig he's played all across the midfield.  He's only played a few games as a holding midfielder but he's done very well there despite being very young and the German Bundesliga being a big step up from the Austrian one.  Mostly he's played as the "8," to borrow a Klopp term, where he's sort of the glue that holds the attack and the defense together.

It's pretty much where Gini plays for us.  If he came to LFC I'm honestly not sure where he'd play but that would be my guess.  I think you could play any 3 from Can/Keita/Henderson/Wijnaldum/Lallana and be really good, and I think that's what Klopp is looking for.  He seems to value versatility in his central midfielders rather than someone who is really good at one thing or another, and that is Keita to a "t."

The thing about Keita is that he's better at all of the roles (at least in my opinion) than any of the other midfielders we have.  So if you play him and Can at the base of a 3 with Wijnaldum free to roam in front of them, I think he'd be much better covering the back 4 than we would be with Henderson there.  But by the same token if you play Henderson at the base with Wijnaldum and Keita in front of him, I think Naby is going to do more in that position than Lallana would.

He's just so dynamic; he's young, so he makes foolish mistakes sometimes, but he's quick, smart, and has great vision and he has that "something special" where he will change 5 or 6 matches a season for you with a piece of absolute brilliance, or at least he has done for his previous clubs.  Plus he's super fun to watch.  Put it this way: I think he can do for our midfield what Mane has done for our forward line.

• Upvote 3

Entirely unsourced article with no quotes or owt doing the rounds saying VVD has agreed to sign for us, fee shouldn't be an issue, but it's conditional on us qualifying for the CL.

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!*

*probably not

not-happening-now.jpg

Keita is not a DM now, but he was in his first season at Salzburg. He was always versatile, but he played the same role Henderson does for us. Then they saw how good he was and he moved further forward to play almost as an attacking midfielder/second striker, at which he was amazing.

Since his move to Leipzig he's played all across the midfield. He's only played a few games as a holding midfielder but he's done very well there despite being very young and the German Bundesliga being a big step up from the Austrian one. Mostly he's played as the "8," to borrow a Klopp term, where he's sort of the glue that holds the attack and the defense together.

It's pretty much where Gini plays for us. If he came to LFC I'm honestly not sure where he'd play but that would be my guess. I think you could play any 3 from Can/Keita/Henderson/Wijnaldum/Lallana and be really good, and I think that's what Klopp is looking for. He seems to value versatility in his central midfielders rather than someone who is really good at one thing or another, and that is Keita to a "t."

The thing about Keita is that he's better at all of the roles (at least in my opinion) than any of the other midfielders we have. So if you play him and Can at the base of a 3 with Wijnaldum free to roam in front of them, I think he'd be much better covering the back 4 than we would be with Henderson there. But by the same token if you play Henderson at the base with Wijnaldum and Keita in front of him, I think Naby is going to do more in that position than Lallana would.

He's just so dynamic; he's young, so he makes foolish mistakes sometimes, but he's quick, smart, and has great vision and he has that "something special" where he will change 5 or 6 matches a season for you with a piece of absolute brilliance, or at least he has done for his previous clubs. Plus he's super fun to watch. Put it this way: I think he can do for our midfield what Mane has done for our forward line.

You might have plucked all of the above from your arsehole. But I'm convinced.

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the system tweaked a bit in some games next season to more of a 4-2-3-1, depending on personnel brought in.

Two holders out of Can, Wijnaldum and Henderson (and maybe another signing).

Then, if we bring in a wide player and a striker, there's options to have Firmino, Coutinho and Mane in behind a new striker or Firmino playing as the roaming deep forward and his place in the 3 behind the striker going to the new signing.

I reckon Mane will end up at striker and Keita (if signed) would end up gravitating towards Lallana's, Coutinho's or Mane's current position. He strikes me as a much better offensive player than he is defensive. Very intelligent footballer. 

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the system tweaked a bit in some games next season to more of a 4-2-3-1, depending on personnel brought in.

Then, if we bring in a wide player and a striker, there's options to have Firmino, Coutinho and Mane in behind a new striker or Firmino playing as the roaming deep forward and his place in the 3 behind the striker going to the new signing.

We should play 4231 against all the crud teams and United who want to counter the cunt out of us.

It bloody well better be given some of the shite we've endured since the New Year 

Fabregas is a snide cunt who I can't stand

we could do with a few snide cunts in fairness. 

I reckon Fabregas would be Joe Cole mk2

that is a real worry, there's no doubt he is well past his date. and he doesn't seem to be a player who loves hard work too. 

Liverpool are NOT interested in Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas

FSG have another midfield transfer target in mind this summer, who's wage demands are more in tune with a owner who's low on spare change because of the running costs of his damn yacht. Lee Cattermole said he will leave his phone on all summer. 

BYJAMES PEARCE

fixed. 

7531e43c601b0ec8bf99c12fbd493be0.png

It's scary to think that if Lovren was still producing his Southampton form at a mid-table club we'd probably be looking to pay £50m for him now.

klopp only said last week if lovren played elsewhere he'd be a player we were looking to sign. 

We should play 4231 against all the crud teams and United who want to counter the cunt out of us.

Do we not king of play an even more positive formation now? i think when everyone is fit, we effectively play 4141 and our full backs are that far up the pitch it could almost be argued we play 2441.