You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

How many are advocating Sessegnon as our first choice left back or a player to come in and play a significant number of games as opposed to one for the future?

Does it matter? If people are advocating signing him then it's irrelevant whether he comes in and plays 10 games next season or 40, as long as he's our player. 

Lot of 20/20 hindsight on Alli.

Sure, you can say it's a mistake that we didn't get him.  But that's with the benefit of being able to see his development to this point.  At the time it wasn't clear at all that he was any better than Ilori or Alberto or any of the other players we did buy.  And sure you can say "well, I knew he was better" but it's a lie.

If you'll recall, that summer there were two young midfielders who were tearing up the Championship and we were linked to both of them.  One was Delle Alli, the other was Will Hughes.  In fact, I think most scouts rated Hughes slightly higher, if I recall he was meant to cost £8m while Alli was a bit cheaper.

Then Hughes got injured, Alli came asking for more wages than we thought was appropriate and we looked elsewhere.  And while it's easy to look back and say "we should have gone for Alli for £5m" you have to remember what we actually knew at the time.  At the time there was hardly any confidence that he was going to go on to develop into a 15 goal/season midfielder.  There wasn't even any confidence he was any better than Will Hughes.

Hughes, in case you're wondering, is still at Derby at age 22 right now.  Scored 2 goals in 41 games in the Championship.  Not exactly a player we'd be clamouring for at the moment.  Just goes to show that youth development is never predictable to a precise degree.

• Upvote 1

Hughes was seen as a technical prodigy, but suffered injuries which slowed his physical development.  Alli was already an athlete AND had technical ability, it was just a question of whether he'd have to adapt to a deeper position when he stepped up.  That's where he's surprised people, how easily he's adapted to the league. 

Ilori might be comparable (but we spent a fair bit more on him, only to not play him), Alberto really isn't.  He's more like Hughes and Shelvey, good technical player, but we were gambling on him growing as an athlete in a way he ultimately couldn't.

Missing out on Alli was really, really dumb (especially when spending 10s of millions on poorer squad options) and it didn't require hindsight to see it.

• Upvote 4

Alli was well known since he was about 16. Wasn't he considered the most talented English player for his age? him and Sterling i believe. Anyway we were after him in 2012-2013. There was hype around him even then.

Like with all transfers there are some successes and some failures, but we repeatedly choose the wrong option. Butland was offered to us for i think around 3 million. Gerrard personally spoke to the hierarchy to say "you've got to sign this kid" and we let him move to Stoke instead. We were after Redmond and then let him go to Norwich for £2m. Rodgers wanted Moussa Dembele at Fulham for a couple of million when he was our manager and the stats geeks refused. FSG veto'd Bertrand and then signed Moreno. It just goes on and on.

• Upvote 2

Douglas Costa has liked a post on twitter about him joining Liverpool. It's on, baby.

C-b9bciXUAUeojB.jpg

The like is basically a signed contract. It's like If a girl likes one of my Facebook statuses, she's basically begging for me to sneak in to her house at night and wank in to her shoes. Same thing.

• Upvote 2

Michail Antonio wants to leave West Ham apparently. The Times reporting it has something to do with an insulting contract offer and the club trying to rush him back from injury. 

Would anyone want him? He's a bit of a mule at times, but he's powerful, versatile and he can score goals. I think he'd probably be a good wing back option for Chelsea.

Michail Antonio wants to leave West Ham apparently. The Times reporting it has something to do with an insulting contract offer and the club trying to rush him back from injury. 

Would anyone want him? He's a bit of a mule at times, but he's powerful, versatile and he can score goals. I think he'd probably be a good wing back option for Chelsea.

Separately, Bilic made more positive noises about Sturridge yesterday.