You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Amen. Been saying this forever. You could put Franco Baresi in his pomp in our defence and he would look like Titus Bramble.

Look how good David Luiz has looked now he has got Kante and Matic taking away 50% of the oppositions attacks.

Luiz is looking better because he's playing as the free defender in a back three.

Apparently AC Milan paid 1 million Euros to have first option on Kolasinac until April 3rd. Kolasinac took the money, waited until after the deadline passed and then signed for Arsenal. Some Catch Me If You Can shenanigans right there.

So has the consensus changed about Van Dijk now then? Last week it was ridiculous to even suggest we'd be in for him but now there's every chance we're gonna buy him?

Where's the fucking consistency?

It won't happen as we'll be up against clubs prepared to pay actual wages.

If there's one position on the pitch I wouldn't fancy spunking £50m on the latest flavour of the month it's centre back. Let City buy another ludicrously overpriced player for that position and then wonder again why they look hopeless stood exposed on the halfway line with no protection in front, compared to the solid defensive platform they came from.

I'd like to see us buy Tah, as I think he is already good but will become world class. I think we could get him for £35M, and while that's crazy money, it will only be £5-10M more than we sell Sakho for.

Tah, Keita, Brandt/Williams, Werner, Sessegnon.

I'd take Tah as well. He's gonna be class. Not sure Leverkusen would be keen on us taking both him and Brandt off their hands in one summer though.

Not sure about Inaki Williams. He doesn't seem to have much of an end product.

So has the consensus changed about Van Dijk now then? Last week it was ridiculous to even suggest we'd be in for him but now there's every chance we're gonna buy him?

Where's the fucking consistency?

Not arsed about Van Dijk, I'm not convinced he's what we need.

Who was the last player we signed for a big fee and big wages combined as in £25m plus £100k+ a week?

I think bringing Milner in on mega money despite the transfer being 'free' and no doubt we'd have paid top whack for Sanchez proves we will pay the going rate for the right profile of player. I have absolutely no issue with not being willing to give the likes of Luke Shaw £100k a week at 18. Fuck that shit.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I think we already have 4 defenders similar to him (of varying quality) and would prefer to see a defender who compliments them.

Ideal world we'd buy both but ultimately we have to be looking to settle on a centre back pairing rather than a collection of centre backs (like Man City for example).

Who was the last player we signed for a big fee and big wages combined as in £25m plus £100k+ a week?

I think bringing Milner in on mega money despite the transfer being 'free' and no doubt we'd have paid top whack for Sanchez proves we will pay the going rate for the right profile of player. I have absolutely no issue with not being willing to give the likes of Luke Shaw £100k a week at 18. Fuck that shit.

Benteke?

I'd take Tah as well. He's gonna be class. Not sure Leverkusen would be keen on us taking both him and Brandt off their hands in one summer though.

Well there's no problem there as Brandt is going to Bayern Munich.

Just watching the RB Leipzig and the commentator has just pointed out a fascinating stat - Forsberg and Keita have 36 goals and assists between them in the league so far.

36!  From two midfield players!  How we could do with that kind of goalscoring contribution from midfield.  Coutinho/Firmino/Mane will score plenty up front, if we can find a pair of midfielders who chip in with anywhere near those numbers to add to those three we should compete for the league.

I know this summer is mostly about fixing the defense and how many goals we let in on the other end, but I just thought that was a remarkable number and worth commenting on.

I'm not 100% sold on Williams after seeing him a bit more, but was just trying to suggest another player as Brandt will probably go to Bayern Munich, although his father or agent recently said that's not a done deal, so there's a small amount of hope there. Not because we are anything like as attractive as Bayern at the moment, but more because Brandt would likely start week in week out here, in a clear role where he can do his thing, whereas at Bayern he will probably be on the bench, as a few good players have been finding recently.

Williams offers a lot of pace and I could see him do some damage on the other side to Mane, but he would need some consistency. It's a real shame we didn't land Sane, as that lad looks like he's going to be really good.

From what I've seen of Tah, he reminds me a bit of Mangala. Big, physical guy but brainless and can't stop his feet from getting entangled. Every time I've watched him he seems to get embarrassed by someone. Maybe I catch him on bad days, but I honestly don't think Tah is any good. Don't think he's being seriously linked with any big clubs either, which tells you something as well. 

• Downvote 1

Just watching this RB Leipzig game since I didn't want to waste an afternoon getting frustrated watching Spurs win or any of the dross of this second slate of PL games, hoping to catch my man Naby Keita do something special.

And he's ... well, he's just very, very good as usual, but another player has caught my eye here.  20-year old centre back named, er, let me copy and past this: Çağlar Söyüncü

Just a minute ago Keita played a give-and-go (and let me just say, he is Hazard-level at the give-and-go with a burst into the box) and seemed a cert to score, when the young Soyuncu sprinted in from behind him and made a quite stunning tackle to keep him out.  Not the only great defensive play he's made, either.

Not going to say he's the next Beckenbauer or anything but keep your ear out for the name Soyuncu going forward.  If this game is any indication he's going to end up at a big club in a few years.  Quite a player.