You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Wow, really? That's a surprise considering so many on here were convinced that the owners were withholding funds from him last summer and this January. I guess the money has now just magically appeared. 

i'll await your response in the summer when we miss out on a target after haggling for weeks over fees. 

i'll await your response in the summer when we miss out on a target after haggling for weeks over fees. 

That's a weird way to admit you were wrong. 

Also, the reason we'll miss out on targets is because no one actually good will want to come play for the 6th best team in England. Maybe if the manager and players could do their jobs properly, actually achieve some things out on the pitch and make it seem like were a club that can challenge for honors, then we would magically start closing some of our transfer targets.

• Downvote 2

Klopp saying he has money in the summer and we may need between 2 and 6 players

After the stories this morning that we will spend big IF we make the top 4 i really bloody hope he isnt just signing 2 or 3 this summer if we dont. We will move backwards again if we do

Mad how important that top 4 is. Im all in on us doing it. Fucking come on reds. Where is JP with his tweets? Every game is a cup final now. Starting next season away at Newcastle.  

Strange how when we had a shot at top four the noises come out of the club was it wasn't a requirement for who we're after. Now that there's no chance it's all about spending big if it happens.

Yet people keep falling for it like lambs to the slaughter. Fans need to wake the fuck up about our owners. Lie after lie.

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 9

Also, the reason we'll miss out on targets is because no one actually good will want to come play for the 6th best team in England. Maybe if the manager and players could do their jobs properly, actually achieve some things out on the pitch and make it seem like were a club that can challenge for honors, then we would magically start closing some of our transfer targets.

So when we qualified for the CL and didn't sign anyone good, what was the reason then? 

• Upvote 3

Football players are after glory and money. Since we're not providing them with glory, to attract class players we need to pay up. Like City had to after their takeover when they wanted to crack the top 4, or like Man Utd did with Pogba last season for example. Since FSG took over, we've made more money from player sales than any other club in the world, yet we're nowhere near the top on money spent on players. When Klopp wanted Brandt in December when we were second, if FSG had any ambition then the club should've made it happen by paying the premium.

Klopp saying he has money in the summer and we may need between 2 and 6 players

After the stories this morning that we will spend big IF we make the top 4 i really bloody hope he isnt just signing 2 or 3 this summer if we dont. We will move backwards again if we do

if we only sign 2 or 3 then we will not have solved our depth problems at all - especially given there must be at least that many going - sturridge, lucas, moreno for starters.

for me it has to be major surgery this summer to sort out the squad base and try and kick on with a solid and most importantly balanced squad that is deepe enough for 4 comps that can then be improved with 1 or 2 each season as needed

Football players are after glory and money. Since we're not providing them with glory, to attract class players we need to pay up. Like City had to after their takeover when they wanted to crack the top 4, or like Man Utd did with Pogba last season for example. Since FSG took over, we've made more money from player sales than any other club in the world, yet we're nowhere near the top on money spent on players. When Klopp wanted Brandt in December when we were second, if FSG had any ambition then the club should've made it happen by paying the premium.

I agree with the sentiment but it ignores the fact Leverkusen didnt want to sell never mind did the player want to come here.

Yes, we could have spunked an absolute silly amount to tempt Leverkusen, say £40m and offer the player say £200,000 a week. What happens if he doesnt hit the ground running? I'll tell you what happens, everyone in the forum lumps on him saying 'why did we spend £40m on him?'

That's the reality.

• Upvote 1

Twice we've found ourselves in favourable positions in January and twice we've stood there holding our dicks. We just about spend what we make. It doesn't take a genius to deduce that the owners are happy to see us in the position we are in on the periphery of the top 4 with a chance to make it. It's as if they are happy with the business model that's in place and champions league is a bonus to them. We're fucking Aston Villa lads.

• Upvote 2

This is the single most depressing thing I've read on this site, and I say that as someone who’s read most of xerxes posts.

I read that as a statement of how much leverage Klopp has.  He's too important to them to fuck around with.  All the leverage is with the football guy rather than the investment bankers/hedge fund guys for a change.

So when we qualified for the CL and didn't sign anyone good, what was the reason then? 

Those were errors in recruitment, but they were the players we'd wanted to sign in the first place. The only player who we missed out on signing, which is the actual topic of conversation if you could bother to read, is Sanchez, who happened to join a team who qualify for the Champions League every season, not one who had done so for the first time 5 years and was losing its best player. That just further proves my point.