You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

“When I was at Liverpool I asked about van Dijk and he was at Groningen and then at Celtic. But I was told he wouldn’t be for us at the time.”

Brendan still putting the boot into the committee

I'm sure every manager has stories of players they ask about who go on to be very good players. The key is signing them, and then limiting the amount of iffy players you sign.

Rodgers did OK for us and then it rightly came to an end. He's rebuilding his career at Celtic, which is a gift for him as it's a one horse race. I'd rather he didn't comment about us any more.

• Upvote 1

Anyone rate the hull left back? Robertson or Roberts........

Looked excellent v Arsenal at weekend.Always in position despite motoring forward at right times,comfy in possession and good change of pace.Only looks about 23/24

I've been told the Hull fans rate him highly, highly in a "too good for us to keep hold of" way that is.

The little I've seen of him he looked very tidy and calm on the ball, good vision and passing and likes going forward. Reminds me a bit of Hector actually.

No idea if he can defend though.

Making it official - my vote for "the player we must sign no matter what this summer" is Naby Keita.

I know I've talked about him on here before, mentioning him as someone we should get back when he was at Salzburg.  Well, since then he's moved to Leipzig and he's one of the main reasons they've surprised so many in the Bundesliga.  

So I'm officially starting the Naby Keita Fan Club, you're all welcome to join.  He's only just turned 22, so coming into his prime, and he's the midfielder we hoped Can would become.  Fast, strong, great technique, can dribble, and has a good goal return for a player who's really a box-to-box midfielder (4 goals and 5 assists in 19 games this season).  

Not that he's as good, but he's a bit like Gerrard in that you can play him deep, play him roaming about in midfield, or play him behind a striker and he's almost equally good in all of them.  Plus he's already been playing in a team that uses a pressing style so you'd think he'd adapt quickly.  He certainly adapted quickly to the Bundesliga, even though he was only 21!

We're a club that can't necessarily go out and blow money on the "it" player of the moment who has a bit of hype and doesn't offer good value, but I think Klopp showed last summer that we can make an exception maybe once a season for one player that fits that mould when he bought Mane for £34m.  We should do the same with Keita.  He would cost a fortune (shame we couldn't persuade him last summer, when we apparently made an offer but he turned us down for increased chance at playing time at Leipzig), but surely a bid of £35-40 million would get him in.

And he'd be worth it.  Just like Mane transformed our front line, he would transform our midfield.  Plug him in for either Henderson or Wijnaldum and we're just as good going forward but with him dominating the open space like Kante does for Chelsea we immediately become much less vulnerable to counterattack.

Forget Paredes and Dahoud (though to be totally honest, either of them is OK as a plan B, especially Paredes who looks very good) - the man to really push the boat out for is Naby Keita.  

not many videos on his play for Leipzig so here are some of his highlights in the Austrian league at age 20:

• Upvote 2

I'm officially outlawing any more "monitoring the shit out of" jokes as they became beyond tedious about 4 transfer windows ago.

Also, all comments mentioning how we will buy Nathan Redmond are null and void.

These threads are always the same, all the players listed "we need a left back a striker" etc etc we could copy and paste from the last few years!

• Upvote 1