You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 0 Southampton 1 (Jan 25 2017)

tlw content

southamptonreport3.jpg

I wish I could say I was surprised. I wish even more that I could say I was arsed. When Shane Long scored an inevitable breakaway goal to finally put us out of our misery, all I could muster was a shrug of the shoulders. I’m still mourning the death of our title challenge, so this barely even registers. 

In fact, to my shame, if I'm being completely honest there’s a part of me that’s relieved. Far better to go out to Southampton in the semi than lose to Mourinho and United at Wembley. I’m not saying we’d have definitely lost, but I don’t have any belief that this team can come through when it matters most, so at least we were spared that potential nightmare. 

We’re in trouble though, there’s no question about it now. It’s not a blip, it’s a full on crisis now. In the space of a week we’ve seen our hopes of two trophies flushed down the shitter, and I’m far from confident that we’ll beat Wolves on Saturday either. If we don’t get our act together, we’ll have seen three chances of silverware taken away in seven days, and it would all have happened at “Fortress Anfield”. We went almost an entire year without losing a home game and now we’ve lost two in four days. It’s entirely possibly it will be four in ten the way we’re going. 

A season that promised so much is in grave danger of delivering fuck all. And don’t try and sell me a possible top four spot as any kind of success. Leave that shit to the Arsenal selfie crew. I know it would represent progress and the club needs to be back at Europe's top table, I get all that, I just can't muster any kind of enthusiasm for it.

Besides, right now would you bet on us finishing higher than 6th? We just look fucked, both literally and figuratively. There’s no zip in our play, everything is laboured and slow and we’re easy to play against. We’ve become last season’s Liverpool. I don't know if the way we play has caught up with us, I don't know if the players are training too hard or if criticism of Klopp's ultra intensive methods is valid. I don't know. I just know we don't look the same as we did.

In truth this wasn’t even that bad a performance compared to some we've seen of late, and had Sturridge taken either of the great chances that came his way things may have been very different. Let’s be honest though, Southampton were the better side over both games and could easily have scored six. They fully deserved to go through and in three games against us this season they’re yet to concede a goal, and this time they didn’t even have Van Dijk in there like a big pony tailed ball attracting magnet. 

This is only a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

On the goal line thing, they showed a replay on TV and it appeared as though none of the ball crossed the line so Forster did brilliantly to get back up and scramble the ball away, even parrying it away with height while Sturridge was looking to close in lower where he thought the ball was most likely to be. Still, I bet Forster throws one in the next time they play the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or the Mancs.

Isn't it the style of their play that made us look slow? Klopp talked about us lacking the enthusiasm to enjoy the task of breaking defensive teams down. He could be right. I'm still skeptical we are knackered, but we obviously do need to learn to break teams down without Sadio around, and getting another winger would not be too soon. I wished even Redmond was on our side last night.

The media love to create dramas about our club and laugh at our fans in particular getting carried away with their emotions up or down. Why not resist playing into that crap and just get behind the team even more to make Anfield a real fortress.

Don't forget Southampton didn't concede a goal at all in that competition, and we were inches away and really should have had a couple. They should give the Mancs a hard game. 

Agree with all that, especially about the club and its transfers, just sign someone!

Alarm bells rang for me when they announced the fixtures over Christmas and New Year, what was it back in November (?) and Klopp had a massive moan about the fact we had to play two games in less than 48hours (justifiably but it got me worried). At the time I thought, yeah you're right but the players will be hearing that and they're a lily-livered bunch who will buy into it and use it as an excuse to lay off for a bit. And I feel that's what happened.

Since drawing that Sunderland game we had Lovren saying it wasn't possible to play two games in such a short space of time and it's all gone to shit. Then on top of that we've had injuries and vital players missing. First they said we'd improve when Coutinho came back, then when Matip returned, now it's Mane. I do think we'll improve once Mane returns (but we weren't playing well just before he left)  as he offers a bit more as you say, as long as there are no more injuries to important players. Our first 11 are a good side capable of beating anybody, we just don't have the squad to cope once we start to lose one or two of them. I'm really frustrated that we've thrown away such a good first few months in the space of a month. I think a lot of it is down to mentality, not just the intense way we play. We need players up for the fight, we've just not seen it enough the past month, well we've hardly seen it at all! Reverting to type a lot of them. We needed to buy, we still need to buy! We won't buy though will we and that probably means our season will just peter out again.

Totally agree with RedPaul (above). Klopp had to keep the positivity going amongst the team because that energy was transmitting to the players. They won all of the games over xmas and then sure enough Klopp played an unchanged side at Sunderland (as if to prove a point) and turned out he was right. I'm no psychologist but once you burst a bubble like that I reckon it's hard to get back. Throw in the disappearance of mane and lack of a solution and you've got a perfect storm. IMO

• Upvote 1

Those journalists close to the club insist we were in for Draxler but he went to PSG “for the money” and Klopp isn’t interested in players who are motivated by money. Newsflash, they ALL go for the money

Klopp himself is only here to tick the CV checkbox of reviving a sleeping giant, he isn't motivated by his £40m+ contract.

Other teams have figured us out, plain as. Fuck sake Plymouth did a number on us twice, Sunderland, Swansea and Southampton, all the same. Sit deep, hit on the counter when our play inevitably breaks down. Where was the creativity, We were crossing balls into the box left right and centre last night like we still had Andy Carroll up front. Agree on Sturridge, he's a busted flush at Liverpool and he'll be gone come summer. As for summer signings, it'll be the same, £20m bracket 21yo with "bags of potential", one that "Barca and Real are sniffing after"...like fuck! Apart from Mane and TAA our side has zero pace, and pace is a fucking killer when it comes to winning football matches. Our midfield 3 have none, and while it's good to have Hendo back in the team would it really fucking kill him to look up and play the ball, like, forward!? Just once a game Jordan, surprise the shit out of us and hit a zinger of a pass forward. I totally saw last night coming but fooled myself into thinking, nah we'll be grand! Bollix! After 25 minutes I knew we were fucked. Christ, how can this happen in the space of two months..?

Agree with not playing Utd and Mourinho that would have been a year ruining moment right there.

The ironic thing is when we beat them in 2003 in the final I was made up we had got through I wasn't arsed it was them and let's be honest that was a great Utd side .

The difference was even though for large parts of that season we were crap it was a team with players who had won things the likes of Carragher, Hyypia, Gerrard , Owen, Henchoz, Hamman, you could also justifiably say they don't play better football than now but they knew how to pick the cup up when matters or win big games.

This lot all they are used to is losing and shitting the bed big time when the stakes are raised.

I think we lost last night's match on Saturday that was a season killer for me, I can't remember the last time I have been so gutted with a result.

We did deserve to lose over 2 legs, but both the Long and Origi incidents looked like penalties to me.

See "The shit the Mancs get away with" thread, if that had happened to Utd Mourinho would have squealed about it that much it would have been all the media would have spoken about.

Yet another reason why we are being left behind , you only have to look at how many decisions seem to be going Arsenal's way .

I'm not sure I agree that we deserved to lose - over 70% possession and more chances created - they parked the bus home and away but were clinical on the counter.  That has become Mourinhoesque revisionism for "being the better team" or "deserving to win".

We are not in a crisis - 5 of the 7 games in 2017 we had to break down 10 men behind the ball, Sunderland and United would have been two away wins had the referee done his job.

We have 76 points which is the CL average over the past 20 years.  The first half of the season was 86 points but unfortunately, we have lost our 6 key players over the past 3-6 weeks - Coutinho/ Matip/ Hendo injured, Mane away and Lallana and Frimino played out of position to cover elsewhere and being half as effective.

Saturday is a big game - Cameroon win and we could play our full strength team on  Tuesday against Chelsea, and I would fancy our full strength team to beat anyone.

• Upvote 3

Good report summing up all our frustration. Yes, they have GL technology but it showed the ball hadnt crossed the line.

Shane Long? Who the fuck is he? No, I wasnt bothered when he came on and I really think if LFC had of signed him last season, people really would have gone apeshit over it.

We got caught with a breakaway. It happens, Matip first game back no pace, what do people expect?

Good points about Mane as Dave says but to be honest, I thought th elad was holding back a little in the 3 games before he went to ACoN. Might be being harsh on the lad but that's how it looked to me and how I felt.

Like Dave, I wasnt confident about this game and I while I am disappointed at going out, im not that arsed either. I know that's a paradox but there you go.

Sturridge looks fucked in mind as well as body and I noticed the ball Dave mentions and how he was flat footed and couldnt catch the ball.

But I keep coming back to the point we are trying to overplay it. We had fuck all shots at goal and when we did, the keeper nearly spooned it into his net.

Yes, packed defences means many shots will be charged down but then you have to look for rebounds and spills. Stop trying to dribble through 2 banks of 4 all the time.

It's worth remembering we thrashed Saints last season and we didn't have Mane then. In fact, they fucking had him!!

Totally agree with this "next season" shit. Get your mortgage on Berahino scoring against us for Stoke, Livermore for West Bromwich and Snodgrass wherever he ends up. And they'll all finish 3-5points behind us in 6th.

I'm not sure I agree that we deserved to lose - over 70% possession and more chances created - they parked the bus home and away but were clinical on the counter.  That has become Mourinhoesque revisionism for "being the better team" or "deserving to win".

We are not in a crisis - 5 of the 7 games in 2017 we had to break down 10 men behind the ball, Sunderland and United would have been two away wins had the referee done his job.

We have 76 points which is the CL average over the past 20 years.  The first half of the season was 86 points but unfortunately, we have lost our 6 key players over the past 3-6 weeks - Coutinho/ Matip/ Hendo injured, Mane away and Lallana and Frimino played out of position to cover elsewhere and being half as effective.

Saturday is a big game - Cameroon win and we could play our full strength team on  Tuesday against Chelsea, and I would fancy our full strength team to beat anyone.

We don't have 76 points.

They still have to be earned.

• Upvote 1

I hope you are right Joe &, but on the first point whatever their tactics they had far more clear chances than us & looked far more dangerous over the two legs. The reliance on possession stats is a bit pointless when teams are just letting us putter left and right across the halfway line with the ball while they regroup, as shown in our game at Burnley & City's smashing at Everton.

true, but who were the better team in the 2010 CL cup final - Inter with their 25% possession?

Burnley in August, Southampton over the two legs, and Swansea deserve no praise for their ultra negative tactics and stealing a win - sad that the footballing world now praises such wins.  As I said, we've been indoctrined with a Mourinhoesque  media (including our  sad local heroes - Carra and Gerrard) who believe that 10 men behind the ball, break quickly equates to "great play , "deserving to win".

Guardiola is right to be niggled with the stupidity of the English for this perception.

We're still  playing well but it took years for the likes of United and Arsenal to understand how to break down teams - let's give our very good side and brilliant manager a bit of time and slack while they work this out.

• Upvote 1

true, but who were the better team in the 2010 CL cup final - Inter with their 25% possession?

Burnley in August, Southampton over the two legs, and Swansea deserve no praise for their ultra negative tactics and stealing a win - sad that the footballing world now praises such wins.  As I said, we've been indoctrined with a Mourinhoesque  media (including our  sad local heroes - Carra and Gerrard) who believe that 10 men behind the ball, break quickly equates to "great play , "deserving to win".

Guardiola is right to be niggled with the stupidity of the English for this perception.

We're still  playing well but it took years for the likes of United and Arsenal to understand how to break down teams - let's give our very good side and brilliant manager a bit of time and slack while they work this out.

There's no law against winning ugly.

If we were losing "beautifully", that might be a minuscule consolation, but we are not. In the slightest.

• Upvote 1

I think in football generally and especially in England, the home of the ignorant, there's a backlash against tika taka - possession football is now frown upon even though a team might have 70-80% of the game trying to tactically open up their opponents - like we did last night and on Saturday.  The fact we couldn't do it and stupidly left ourselves exposed (that's when you need a top class holding player like Carvalho) made us look "poor" but actually , over  the legs, we made most of the play.

Football as a sport will become pointless and tedious to watch if we continue to exert the virtues of Mourinho's teams, Burnley, Swansea and fucking boring Southampton.

• Upvote 2