You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard returns home.

jimmycase

Welcome home, Stevie.

Steven Gerrard's career has come full-circle after he agreed to return to Liverpool on a full-time basis as a coach at the club's Academy.

Since Gerrard brought the curtain down on his playing career last November following a spell with LA Galaxy, it had been widely anticipated that the 36-year-old would go back to where it all began but he was determined to take time to consider his options.

Some clubs wanted him to carry on as a player, while MK Dons made him an offer to become their manager but that opportunity came along at the wrong time in his career. He wanted to enjoy Christmas with his family before coming to a definitive decision about what to do next.

3C54C1D600000578-0-image-a-2_14849337592

+15

Former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has rejoined the club on a full-time basis as a coach

3C54C17200000578-0-image-a-1_14849337561

+15

Gerrard has been doing his Uefa A licence under the guidance of Liverpool staff this term

+15

Gerrard has previously spoken of his desire to cut his teeth in coaching at his boyhood club

+15

The former England captain snubbed a role with MK Dons after being approached last year

+15

Gerrard showed his passion for the club by travelling to the Plymouth game on Wednesday

The lure of going back to the club who launched him on the path to greatness was impossible to resist. Gerrard will be based at the Academy in Kirkby and he will work with all age-groups while he continues studying to obtain his full coaching badges.

Gerrard stopped playing for Liverpool in May 2015, having made 710 appearances, but he continued to visit Kirkby when the chance allowed and he will work closely with Academy Director Alex Inglethorpe. He is relishing the opportunity to get started next month.

Share this article

'It feels like completing the circle – returning to the place where professionally it all began,' said Gerrard in a statement. 'However, this isn't a decision based on emotion – it's about what I can offer and contribute to Liverpool.

'I don't think I need to explain to people what this football club means to me, but when I knew coming back was a serious option I wanted to make sure it was a substantive role and a role in which I could really help the organisation.

+15

He has been fulfilling media commitments with BT Sport in between visits to his former club

31E27B8600000578-0-image-a-6_14849337712

+15

Gerrard lifting the Champions League with Liverpool after a famous night in Istanbul

041CA3EE000003E8-0-image-a-12_1484934348

+15

Gerrard officially announced his retirement from professional football in November

3C54C8A100000578-4140982-image-m-31_1484

+15

Academy Director Alex Inglethorpe will work closely with Gerrard at the club's Kirkby base

GERRARD'S CAREER RECORD 

LIVERPOOL (1998-2015)

Premier League: 504 appearances, 120 goals

FA Cup: 42, 15

League Cup: 30, 9

Champions League: 87, 30

UEFA Cup/Europa League: 42, 11

Other: 7, 1

Total: 710 appearances, 186 goals

LA GALAXY (2015-2016)

MLS appearances (including post-season): 36, 5 goals

ENGLAND (2000-2014)

Caps: 114, 21 goals 

'Meeting with Alex Inglethorpe, seeing the work they are currently doing and want to do in the future at Kirkby, it just felt right. The right option at the right time, for all parties involved.

'This gives me a great opportunity to learn and develop as a coach, while at the same time offering my knowledge, ideas and experience to the young players at an important period of their development.'

This is exciting time for Liverpool's Academy, with young players such as Ben Woodburn, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Harry Wilson and Rhian Brewster emerging, and Ingelthorpe believes Gerrard's presence will prove inspirational for those who want to follow in his footsteps.

'If I was to pick one individual who embodies the characteristics and values we are looking to instil into our organisation at Kirkby it would be Steven Gerrard,' said Ingelthorpe. 

'For him to have been so enthusiastic about being part of what we are looking to do is simply great news for everyone connected to the club.

3AB6ED9200000578-3967838-image-a-64_1479

+15

Scoring against West Ham in 2006 during an FA Cup final often known as the 'Gerrard Final'

3AB6F85B00000578-3967838-image-a-61_1479

+15

Gerrard celebrates a double against Manchester United by kissing a television camera

3ADCAA0800000578-0-image-a-11_1484933799

+15

The 36-year-old has frequently been seen taking his seat in the Main Stand this season

GERRARD IN NUMBERS

860 - Combined appearances for Liverpool, the Los Angeles Galaxy and England.

212 - Total number of goals for clubs and country.

9 - Trophies won (all at Liverpool).

8 - Times selected in Premier League team of the season.

8 - Number of times Gerrard was sent off (seven for Liverpool, once for England).

2 - Man of the match awards in major finals (Champions League 2005, FA Cup 2006). 

'I don't think it would surprise anyone to know that Steven has had a host of great options, in terms of what to do next in his career, including playing, management and coaching. But it's been evident from the first meeting with him that his heart and head belongs here.

'He has shown great humility in making it clear from the outset he wants a role where he can contribute to Liverpool; it's typical of him that his priority has been defining the role so it helps the Club, ahead of himself.

'He has expressed a desire to learn from us and manage a young team. The benefits to us will be immense. This is a substantial role and one which makes the Academy and the club in general stronger and better.'

• Downvote 1

I suppose we could have told Buvac to fuck off as we had to give him a more fitting job.

It's absolutely the right move, his playing days are one thing but coaching is different again, unfortunately I think the idea that a job is somehow beneath him, through no fault of his own, will become symptomatic of a larger problem in future years.

Typical Stevie, always looking for the hollywood training.

Good to see him back. I'm a big believer in club legends being given non-playing roles after their playing days are over. I can only imagine what a lift it would be for the youngsters to be trained by a Liverpool Icon like Steven Gerrard. What they aspire to be standing right there telling them how its done. 

• Upvote 1