You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester United 1 Liverpool 1 (Jan 15 2017)

tlw content

manunitedreport2.jpg

I should really start by apologising to the team, because to my shame I gave them no shot of getting anything out of this game. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been so sure of us losing a game as I was prior to this one. It’s weird, I can’t fully explain it as it’s not as though I think United are anything other than bang average.

Nevertheless, I was convinced this was going to be a thoroughly miserable experience for us, but I sold the players short and I’m delighted to have been proved to be such a cowardly shithouse. 

I wasn’t alone though as hardly anyone I know fancied us to get anything from the game. It seemed understandable beforehand, for numerous reasons. We’ve been wobbling a bit recently and the Southampton performance was very worrying. Mané was missing, there was that whole bullshit situation involving Matip and his uncertain eligibility, Coutinho wasn’t fit to start the game and to top it off Clyne was ruled out at the last minute meaning we had an 18 year old debutant at right back. 

Throw in United’s upturn in results, Mourinho’s ability to ruin a game and stifle attack minded opponents, and the fact that this is traditionally the worst fixture in the entire calendar for us in terms of stress and misery, and the feeling of impending doom many of us had been feeling prior to kick seemed justified. Turns out we were just being a right bunch of fannies though. 

Now that it’s all over, I feel a mixture of relief, encouragement, frustration and sheepishness. What exactly was it we were worried about? Just as it was when Van Gaal was manager, the only real threat to us was the alehouse ball to Fellaini. Ultimately that would cost us, but had we made more of the opportunities we had to expose them on the break then we could have afforded to give away that goal. 

We probably should have won this game, although I do feel that a draw was probably a fair result and I don’t entirely agree with Klopp’s assessment that we were clearly the better team. I’m fine with him saying it, as it will annoy Mourinho and hopefully boost our own confidence levels, but I didn’t think we played particularly well although the commitment and will to win could not be faulted. If we had played well then we’d have won easily as this United team is in sixth place for a reason. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Upvote 2

Oliver was fucking appalling all game. Id say the pen was the only notable decision he got right.

The booking count may have been 3-1 to us but just how the fuck did that happen? The twat was pulling us up for 'fouls' yet when their scummy players did worse, they didnt get carded. Nob.

• Upvote 1

Said to a mate on the way back yesterday, at the start of the season when we were beating all and sundry by cricket scores, the big question people were asking was whether we could grind out points when we haven't been playing well.

We have shown that we can. I'd fancy us to rediscover that form when mane is back if people are fit. The mancs and spurs have had to string 6 or 7 together to get near us. We just need to grind out the next few weeks until the fixtures settle down slightly and we are well in the mix.

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

Said to a mate on the way back yesterday, at the start of the season when we were beating all and sundry by cricket scores, the big question people were asking was whether we could grind out points when we haven't been playing well.

We have shown that we can. I'd fancy us to rediscover that form when mane is back if people are fit. The mancs and spurs have had to string 6 or 7 together to get near us. We just need to grind out the next few weeks until the fixtures settle down slightly and we are well in the mix.

Plus European competition will kick in again for everyone at the top bar Chelsea and ourselves. 

Arguably a fair result, however the onus was always on Utd to go for a win (home side, in form), plus the Liverpool side of the Europa Cup second leg at Old Trafford last season would have executed more than a couple of the breakaways.

Before the game I feared the worst (though not quite on the epic scale of a 4-0 drubbing at the Theatre of Screams, circa 2003).

No question the intense holiday period took its toll. The infusion of adrenaline from competing against our most bitterest has breathed life into us. Hopefully this will carry the team through until we receive a well-earned recuperation period (greater than a few days currently) in god knows when.

I’ll call it again, Klopp is learning from mistakes and building on past failures. Are we ‘made of sterner stuff’ compared to the great entertainers/ultimate pretenders of yesteryear PL Liverpool sides? Maybe.

So far this season we’ve come from behind on numerous occasions, built on big results against the top six by winning again (exceptions being Burnley of course and Sunderland - a decent result considering), and kept clean sheets/delivered when we least expected to, the Old Trafford performance contributing to a growing belief that we’re actually growing something resembling a backbone.

Re Mane (and speaking of growing body parts), I think the team should grow a pair and not cultivate the psychology of lament every time he is absent. Remember: we were doing well (not as devastatingly, granted) before we signed him, evidence: reaching two cup finals last season.

Dave, you hit the nail on the head re Origi. Sadly he is playing himself out of the side and cult status. I firmly believe that the likes of him, Firminho and Wijnaldum should have the ‘Killer Instinct’ concept drummed into them. When they smell blood/see the whites of the goal posts/presented with better passing options they should be direct/efficient/clinical. All killer, no filler.

I’d say the only ‘killer’ we have in our ranks is Sturridge, however because of injuries he doesn’t trust his body at the moment and holds on to the ball too long.

Championship-winning sides have that ‘killer’ instinct. Chelski possess it in spades at the moment (I hate to concede) and are reluctant to relinquish. If we master this mentality as a unit (and on top of what we already have) we’ll be close.

Re Henderson, (though not brilliant) showed why his stabilising influence was missed during his absence. As you said, we are a better side with his inclusion.

I’m with you re Oliver. I used to give him kudos for being a young referee, taking no sh*t from players, and showing decisiveness. Looks like he’s lost his way/succumbed to ‘the system’. I’m unsure if the bookings he meted out to us were upholding the letter of the law, however the current fad of applying insult to injury - especially with Firminho’s booking - is bollocks and I hope the FA review the practice.

In summary, Alexander-Arnold embodied the team’s performance as a whole and captured our present mood. A new experience, early indication being we would have got overrun by the occasion (and the likes of say Martial, Mkhitaryan, Rashford), early jitters confirmed general consensus, yet he/we stood tall, whilst growing in belief, ultimately believing we deserved more.

Hope this bodes well for team prospects for the remainder of the season.

#YNWA
M

• Upvote 5

United played 99 long balls in this game they were doing it for most of the match it was only more noticeable when Jose Pulis brought elbows on for the last ten minutes. Watching match of the day 2 they made no reference to the offside in the build up to their goal nothing about the yellow card to lovren and nothing about Rooney's tackle on Milner that twat lesser Neville even said the referee was "outstanding".

Arguably a fair result, however the onus was always on Utd to go for a win (home side, in form), plus the Liverpool side of the Europa Cup second leg at Old Trafford last season would have executed more than a couple of the breakaways.

Before the game I feared the worst (though not quite on the epic scale of a 4-0 drubbing at the Theatre of Screams, circa 2003).

No question the intense holiday period took its toll. The infusion of adrenaline from competing against our most bitterest has breathed life into us. Hopefully this will carry the team through until we receive a well-earned recuperation period (greater than a few days currently) in god knows when.

I’ll call it again, Klopp is learning from mistakes and building on past failures. Are we ‘made of sterner stuff’ compared to the great entertainers/ultimate pretenders of yesteryear PL Liverpool sides? Maybe.

So far this season we’ve come from behind on numerous occasions, built on big results against the top six by winning again (exceptions being Burnley of course and Sunderland - a decent result considering), and kept clean sheets/delivered when we least expected to, the Old Trafford performance contributing to a growing belief that we’re actually growing something resembling a backbone.

Re Mane (and speaking of growing body parts), I think the team should grow a pair and not cultivate the psychology of lament every time he is absent. Remember: we were doing well (not as devastatingly, granted) before we signed him, evidence: reaching two cup finals last season.

Dave, you hit the nail on the head re Origi. Sadly he is playing himself out of the side and cult status. I firmly believe that the likes of him, Firminho and Wijnaldum should have the ‘Killer Instinct’ concept drummed into them. When they smell blood/see the whites of the goal posts/presented with better passing options they should be direct/efficient/clinical. All killer, no filler.

I’d say the only ‘killer’ we have in our ranks is Sturridge, however because of injuries he doesn’t trust his body at the moment and holds on to the ball too long.

Championship-winning sides have that ‘killer’ instinct. Chelski possess it in spades at the moment (I hate to concede) and are reluctant to relinquish. If we master this mentality as a unit (and on top of what we already have) we’ll be close.

Re Henderson, (though not brilliant) showed why his stabilising influence was missed during his absence. As you said, we are a better side with his inclusion.

I’m with you re Oliver. I used to give him kudos for being a young referee, taking no sh*t from players, and showing decisiveness. Looks like he’s lost his way/succumbed to ‘the system’. I’m unsure if the bookings he meted out to us were upholding the letter of the law, however the current fad of applying insult to injury - especially with Firminho’s booking - is bollocks and I hope the FA review the practice.

In summary, Alexander-Arnold embodied the team’s performance as a whole and captured our present mood. A new experience, early indication being we would have got overrun by the occasion (and the likes of say Martial, Mkhitaryan, Rashford), early jitters confirmed general consensus, yet he/we stood tall, whilst growing in belief, ultimately believing we deserved more.

Hope this bodes well for team prospects for the remainder of the season.

#YNWA

M

This cat is after your cream Dave.

Get him banned.

• Upvote 1

I agree about Herrera. I dream of the day when the FA set up a panel to look at games and highlight snide little bastards like him and fine/ban them for it. It won't happen in my lifetime and even if it did they would have Gill and Taggart chairing it. Made up we didn't get beat, onwards and upwards now!

I believe there are trials for video evidence during matches and I would imagine that things like this could easily be done, assuming there is a 'fourth referee' watching the video footage.

Great report, Dave. I was with you before the game - why is it that games at OT always make me fear the worst? The Everton result beforehand didn't help - sun shining on the underdog's arse day.

As for a free dig I agree with all suggestions so far and I could add Nasri to the list, but I'm still reserving mine for snidey Evra.

I honestly think if Oliver could have had a chance of not giving the pen he would of unfortunately for him in was right in front of him.

They really are a bang average side for the money they have spunked and yet they are back up the league thanks to one person on the pitch they can always rely on, the Ref.

Everton , ref should have sent Rojo off, they end up getting a point.

Palace , see above and thanks to an incompetent linesman they get all three.

West Ham, Bag face gets a man sent off by rolling around (a typical Man Utd tactic used on us by Johnny Evans resulting in Shelvey getting his marching orders). after his initial bad tackle and then an incompetent linesman makes the game safe for them late on.

And then to Sunday when Rooney should have gone for his ankle breaker on Milner, stays on and makes the cross that they equalise from.

But give it a week or two when a decision goes against them and Shitcoat will be all over the media saying it's a conspiracy against them.

• Upvote 2

I honestly think if Oliver could have had a chance of not giving the pen he would of unfortunately for him in was right in front of him.

They really are a bang average side for the money they have spunked and yet they are back up the league thanks to one person on the pitch they can always rely on, the Ref.

Everton , ref should have sent Rojo off, they end up getting a point.

Palace , see above and thanks to an incompetent linesman they get all three.

West Ham, Bag face gets a man sent off by rolling around (a typical Man Utd tactic used on us by Johnny Evans resulting in Shelvey getting his marching orders). after his initial bad tackle and then an incompetent linesman makes the game safe for them late on.

And then to Sunday when Rooney should have gone for his ankle breaker on Milner, stays on and makes the cross that they equalise from.

But give it a week or two when a decision goes against them and Shitcoat will be all over the media saying it's a conspiracy against them.

Not too mention Miki-wotsit's 'wonder-goal' which was also comfortably offside.