You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton 1 Liverpool 0 (Jan 11 2017)

tlw content

southamptonreport2.jpg

We’ve been spoiled this season. We’ve had very few bad performances and even in the games when we’ve lost we’ve usually been the better side. This was by far the worst display of the season though. It was awful and we’re lucky that the tie isn’t already over, because Southampton deserved to win this by more than one goal. 

They defended brilliantly and completely shut us down, but - unlike in the recent league meeting between the sides - when the opportunity was there to attack they went for it, and this could easily have been a 3-0 defeat for us but for some good goalkeeping, poor finishing and the crossbar. The good news is that it’s only half time and we get to play the second half at Anfield. The other good news is it’s only 1-0. It feels like we got out of jail. 

That said, I can’t shake the feeling that there’s something not quite right and that the wheels might be about to come completely off in the next few weeks. This wasn’t just a bad performance, it was a massively worrying one for me. We looked slow all over the pitch and our players were getting knocked off the ball all night. Every time any of our lads got the ball anywhere near Southampton’s final third, they had two or three players swarming around them and possession was usually lost. 

It looked like they had more men on the pitch than us, there was just no way through them at all, and even though their gameplan was mostly about keeping it tight, they still looked like scoring every time they ventured forward. How can we look like the tired team when Southampton have played more games than anybody this season? 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

The Daniel Sturridge note is brilliant - made me laugh out loud. Agree about the feeling of foreboding though. Most of the season we've looked like a really good team full of average players, so it's hard not to think that the magic is going to wear off at some stage.

• Upvote 1

It was very similar to the league game there except we won the ball back and passed the ball quicker so tgey were less of a tgreat on the counter. We had more pace and better footballers in the front 6. Henderson Coutinho and Mané would be missed from any team.

"That said, I can’t shake the feeling that there’s something not quite right and that the wheels might be about to come completely off in the next few weeks"

Agree 100% and it's not only down to Mane being off as I thought we haven't been firing on all cylinders for a couple of weeks now. I think it's a combination of a)after our blazing start we're now in a bit of a down cycle(kind of the opposite to ManU), b)opponents are now sorting out how to play us and c)man for man were not really all that good so if we're not clicking as a unit there isn't enough individual brilliance to carry us through.

Whatever the reasons though, we're definitely in a slump and I'm not too confident about Sunday at all.

Not one player stood out for me, maybe Karius and our defence felt a bit stronger, but possession means nothing without moving the ball quicker to the attack.

We're not a team that just lumps it up front (because we don't have a striker able to control play like that) but we needed to put pressure on them before they manage to get six in the back line arranged with time for a cup of tea and a biscuit.

I'm really really hoping they were saving themselves for Sunday...

• Upvote 2

Thought Can was a waste of a shirt. Can's like the land where footballs go to die; as soon as one of them goes anywhere near him everything gets....really....really....slow...and....pon..der...ous. He kills every fucking move, seriously how many times did he lose the ball ffs? I know Lucas was ok, but any midfield with Lucas and Can in there is on a beaten docket from the start! The scum must be licking their fucktard lips right now...

• Upvote 2

We are definitely in a slump. The fast tempo of a few weeks ago has turned into a leisurely stroll and we are easy to keep at arms length when players like Sturridge,Can and Lucas feature in the line up. I feel sorry for Origi as he can hold up the long balls Karius had to hit and has the pace to trouble defenders. He should be getting more starts as Sturridge is simply not effective for long periods but looks a threat in short periods from the bench. Origi is the opposite of this,he needs time to get into a game. We need some kind of shot in the arm and soon. I've got to say that Man U look favourites for Sunday and I'd be happy with a draw at present.

• Upvote 1

I could be wrong as I watched it in the pub but every time I saw Klopp even he looked lethargic and for the most part seemed to be slumped in his seat like the energy had gone out of him.

It was also worrying in that you were happy to get in at half time one down and you thought great he'll tear a strip off them now but they actually came out and were worse.

I'm really worried about Sunday now as I think if they come out flying I'm not sure we'll be able to handle it.

It was embarrassing and they should all be ashamed of themselves. Even if tiredness is taken into account, some of them just didn't bother at all. It was atrocious.

I don't even think we can take tiredness into account given we were playing Southampton. They've had more games than anyone else and had the worst of the Christmas fixtures. I don't know how many of them played in the FA Cup, but most of our team had been rested and had been off for ten days. Not that you'd have known by watching them.

Non-subscribers wont have seen this as it's in the report, but here's the note Klopp passed to Sturridge.  

southamptonreport2a.jpg

For only two quid a month I'm virtually giving this shit away. Actually, by posting it in here I'm quite literally giving it away, but the point stands.

Click here to subscribe, go on, you know you want to.

• Upvote 6

When you take Mane, Coutinho, Matip and Henderson out of the starting line up, you might argue thats our best 4 players. We cannot play a high intensity pressing game with Lucas, Can, Sturridge in the team. Klopp has to then find a way of winning with this handicap. Thats not possible with this squad so I would agree we need reinforcements. The most important thing for me though is that this is not about Klopp. He is currently polishing a lot of turds and you only have to read back over the last couple of seasons to realise that. There is no better man out there for LFC so lets make sure that where ever we lay the blame its not at his door.

Totally agree. We'll miss Mane, a lot. I just think the team is knackered from the high intensity game they play week in week out. That coupled with a big game this weekend (and the knowledge we have a second bite at this lot) I just think they took their foot off the gas. We don't seem to have a big enough squad of players who can maintain this intensity in every game. There are not enough players to rotate. We do need to buy!