You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - EFL Cup SF, 1st leg, 7:45pm, 11/01/17 - Utah Saints, U-U-U-Utah Saints!

Trumo

Stronger team than FA Cup, obviously, with one or two getting part of this game to build it back up after a time out of the side, with an eye on Sunday. Would be lovely to see Coutinho come off the bench to get a winner at Southampton and look sharp before Sunday, for example.

I'd also like to see us sign Promes, or someone good, ASAP. Not just to tide us over now, though that is important, but to also come and be part of Klopp's set up for years to come.

Put out a strong (i.e. winning) side for the first leg and get an away win or draw. I'm not really bothered about Utd. Set up at OT for a 0-0. It's the least we could do.

I sense a lot of complacency about the Utd game,  Hate to say it but they look stronger than we do at the moment and I think we may get a very unpleasant surprise. 

I sense a lot of complacency about the Utd game, Hate to say it but they look stronger than we do at the moment and I think we may get a very unpleasant surprise.

Really, I'd say it's the total opposite. Most people I know aren't expecting much from the game, I've certainly not heard anyone being over confident.

I sense a lot of complacency about the Utd game, Hate to say it but they look stronger than we do at the moment and I think we may get a very unpleasant surprise.

Agree. I rarely watch their games but they seem to be on a bit of a roll whereas we dont look like we can tear anyone apart for fun like we did at the start of the season.

Defensively we are very dependent on our pressing game. This time they will go out to put us under serious pressure, including plenty of high balls into our box. And if we end up defending deep I think we'll struggle.

Agree. I rarely watch their games but they seem to be on a bit of a roll whereas we dont look like we can tear anyone apart for fun like we did at the start of the season.

Defensively we are very dependent on our pressing game. This time they will go out to put us under serious pressure, including plenty of high balls into our box. And if we end up defending deep I think we'll struggle.

Will they fuck.

They'll set up for 0-0 and hope to pinch a goal.

Have you never seen a team managed by The Diminutive Portuguese before?

Hmmm.... I'd save him for the United game myself.

Sturridge has never started for us in games against big teams when everyone's fit, I doubt that's changing anytime soon (regardless of Klopp's comments this week). Rather he played tonight and keep our starters fit for Sunday myself...

Sturridge has never started for us in games against big teams when everyone's fit, I doubt that's changing anytime soon (regardless of Klopp's comments this week). Rather he played tonight and keep our starters fit for Sunday myself...

He has hardly been fit... when fit he should start as he's the best striker we have. He looked great against Sunderland, the only source of threat we had.

He has hardly been fit... when fit he should start as he's the best striker we have. He looked great against Sunderland, the only source of threat we had.

He might be the best striker, but it doesn't follow that he's the best for our team.  For me, the jury is still out, which is bad considering he's been with us for ages. 

He might be the best striker, but it doesn't follow that he's the best for our team. For me, the jury is still out, which is bad considering he's been with us for ages.

Console yourself with the fact we've no other option and he's been at his best in this competition this season.