You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2017

Captain Turdseye

Apparently Jamie McDonnell vs Paul Butler in an all British world title fight is done and set to be announced. Another decent fight but I fancy McDonnell to have a bit too much for Paul.

This will be the second time recently that Matchroom and Warren have matched up fighters I think. Didn't Buglioni win against that Burton kid the other week on Sky? It's a good sign that we may see Crolla in with Flanagan this year.

DanDan, has Crolla said anything to you about fighting Flanagan?

You can get away with the arrogance if you fight tough. I know Eubank snr split opinions but people knew they had to respect him as a fighter after he went toe to toe with Benn and Watson

My best memories of boxing is that era and McGuigan(coming from a Irish family,used to watch him with my Grandad) even had a little bell i used to ring at the start and end of each round.

A fight id loved to have seen

Eubank vs Froch

Granite vs Granite

You can get away with the arrogance if you fight tough. I know Eubank snr split opinions but people knew they had to respect him as a fighter after he went toe to toe with Benn and Watson

My best memories of boxing is that era and McGuigan(coming from a Irish family,used to watch him with my Grandad) even had a little bell i used to ring at the start and end of each round.

A fight id loved to have seen

Eubank vs Froch

Granite vs Granite

What a fight that would have been.
  • Upvote 1

You can get away with the arrogance if you fight tough.

Good point. And you just don't get that from Degale. I went when he battered Paul Smith at the Echo and I think it was only his 8th or 9th fight. He had all the hype behind him at that point and then I think he ruined it completely with all that shit he talked to Groves and going on to lose. That was a big fight at the time domestically and he just lost any respect or following he had and then was irrelevant for a while fighting nobodies in bore fests on channel 5.

• Upvote 1

Do you reckon that's because we're different to the Yanks in that sense? They lap all that arrogant shit up but when us Brits think someone's a knobhead we point it out. Simple as that. Act like a twat and people will think you are one.

The Yanks love arrogance and disrespect. British people favour humility and respect. You only have to look at the two biggest stars in both countries : Floyd Mayweather and Anthony Joshua to see that. 

De Gale, Tyson Fury and Eubank Jr would've had more success as Americans. Conversely the likes of Tim Bradley and Andre Ward would've made more money and had better careers if they were both UK fighters.

We also have some weird obsession with underdogs (see Frank Bruno). Americans lap up a good redemption story but don't tolerate perennially shit fighters like we do. Only we could have Audley Harrison as a celebrity. If Audley was American he wouldn't be hyped in the first place, and would've got exposed much sooner. They'd have dropped him like a stone after his first loss. British commentators were still saying 'if Audley puts it all together' after he got outpointed by a cabbie.

• Upvote 2

Dont agree Harrison wouldn't have been a star. He was the Olympic champ,they'd have protected him and built him up to fuck,especially then with them having no heavyweight. They'd have dumped hom soon though

Not sure how long they could have protected Audley for to be honest.

Dont agree Harrison wouldn't have been a star. He was the Olympic champ,they'd have protected him and built him up to fuck,especially then with them having no heavyweight. They'd have dumped hom soon though

Zero chance he would've been a star because they only make stars out of hugely successful fighters. It's still debatable whether Andre Ward is a star over there because most of the public have no idea who he is. Audley Harrison would've been exposed at Friday Night Fights level, never mind HBO level. He would've been completely unknown outside of the fact he won a gold medal for his country. He'd be lucky to have the relevance of David Reid, let alone the celebrity status he has over here.

Im not saying he would have mafe it. Im saying they'd habe given him the same push to stardom he got here as a olympic champion in a country dying for a heavyweight champ

Fair do's, i can see you're point. They would've pushed him after the Sydney games and in the first few years feeding him cans. But they weren't as desperate then as they are now; with Wilder being pretty much their only top Heavyweight. They had Holyfield, Byrd, Brewster, Ruiz, Rahman and a few others winning titles. Granted most of them weren't top heavyweights, it was a down period definitely, but not the dirge of today. 

Does this actually say that Mike Tyson is training singer/boxer Chris Brown to fight against rapper/boxer Soulja Boy? Or is this some weird paradoxical time and space fuck up where people actually pay for this sort of shit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38552656/mike-tyson-will-train-chris-brown-in-his-fight-against-rapper-soulja-boy?intc_type=promo&intc_location=sport&intc_campaign=tysontrainingbrown&intc_linkname=newsbeat_ent_article1

Mike Tyson has confirmed that he'll be training Chris Brown in his grudge fight against rapper Soulja Boy.

The former heavyweight champion was asked to help out by 50 Cent after some major beef between the pair over the last few weeks.

"I'm gonna teach him how to bite somebody's ear. Yeah, that's right," he said in a video on Instagram.

"I'm gonna teach him every dirty trick in the book to knock you out. Because I'm not going to teach him how to run."

Soulja Boy is going to be trained by another former boxing champ, Floyd Mayweather, who announced the bout on Instagram.

The three-round fight will take place in Las Vegas but a date hasn't been announced.

The grudge started after Soulja Boy liked and left a comment below a picture on the profile of Karrueche Tran, Chris Brown's ex-girlfriend.

The pair posted several videos and pictures mocking and threatening each other as the argument heated up.

Soulja Boy posted about the fight but has since deleted it from Instagram.

He said: "It's going down! Signed my contract I'm leaving the fight with $1,000,000.

"I got the best ever my big bro @floydmayweather training me damn."

Chris Brown told his Instagram followers that it was time to stop talking.

"Now that we have your undivided attention, boxing match set," the singer wrote.

"Legally. Man to Man. No more dissing and no more talking. We in the ring with it. Challenge accepted."