You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland (A) - 3pm, 02/01/17 - Starting the new year on the Wear.

Trumo

We can lick our wounds, rest and regroup. Theres still loads to fight for. If Spurs beat Chelsea we've gained a point on the leaders and they still have to come to Anfield. If Chelsea win we fight on, but finishing top of the pile would obviously look that much more difficult.

It has been a good festive period for us, but unfortunately we just ran out of steam today. With hindsight it might have been better to make more changes to the line up as they looked dead on their feet and nothing like the Liverpool we've enjoyed watching for most of the season.

New signings are needed in January. FSG will back Klopp if he can identify the right player/s to come. Reading between the lines it looked like we were in for Draxler, given Klopp's obvious disappointment when he went to PSG instead. He would have cost well over £30M so suggestions that FSG won't put their hand in the pocket seem wide of the mark.

I'm sure they would buy Pulisic for Klopp in a heartbeat if Dortmund would sell, and perhaps there will be one or two others we might have more luck with bringing in. I'm sure money is there, but getting the right player is key.

what makes you think they'll back him with money...

we just turned a profit and a quite big one at that as well as reduced the size of the squad in the summer window - the first under the new big trough of tv money and the 2nd window under Klopp we have spent nothing.

If we'd drawn with City and beaten Sunderland it wouldn't seem such a punch in the guts in a strange way.

It's a good haul of point over the Christmas period.

Agree with most that we have to spend now. I felt we needed to anyway, but we won't see Sturridge until April, the lack of clarity on Matip suggests issues, Coutinho and Lallana are both prone to niggles and I'm not sure we are clear on Henderson?

What I do know is, listening to the last 10mins, it would seem we were playing everything through Moreno.....!

That says it all really

be fair to sturridge it is set to be quite mild in march i reckon he'll be back march

what makes you think they'll back him with money...

we just turned a profit and a quite big one at that as well as reduced the size of the squad in the summer window - the first under the new big trough of tv money and the 2nd window under Klopp we have spent nothing.

FSG have always backed their managers with money.

If we don't get top four it's on the owner's heads in my book. We've had a few duff results this season, but for the most part we're doing better than any of us would have imagined. Top four is nailed on if you go out and buy some players. It's as simple as that. If we don't then the task becomes a lot more difficult but it's not impossible.  

If our worst fears come true and our form dips massively while Mane is away for 5 week and we don't buy anyone I really hope our fans take their frustrations out on the owners and not just the players. 

If we don't get top four it's on the owner's heads in my book. We've had a few duff results this season, but for the most part we're doing better than any of us would have imagined. Top four is nailed on if you go out and buy some players. It's as simple as that. If we don't then the task becomes a lot more difficult but it's not impossible.  

If our worst fears come true and our form dips massively while Mane is away for 5 week and we don't buy anyone I really hope our fans take their frustrations out on the owners and not just the players. 

Oh FFS, we're half way through a season and you're fucking moaning about 'top 4'? Yeah, let's all concentrate on the CL 2nd / 3rd / 4th place trophy.

Could have sworn we paid £25m for wijnaldum and £32+m for Mane after Goezte decided to go back to BVB. Oh and £4m for Karius.

Even you must understand that if you make a profit in your transfer dealings in a window then you haven't spent any money in real terms.

Don't want to sound like a 'super fan' but surely we need a bit of perspective here. The only team with less rest than us today let in 3 goals in the last 20 minutes of their game so we have to accept we were too knackered to play up to our usual standards & move on.

We have been brilliant this season, far better than was expected ( I remember the Rev being harangued on here for the mere suggestion we might win the league ) so I don't get the doom and gloom on here tonight. We had similar defeatism after Bournemouth & West Ham on here but luckily Klopp and the team seem to be made of sterner stuff & took 13 out of 15 points thereafter , and hopefully will again now.

• Upvote 4

Even you must understand that if you make a profit in your transfer dealings in a window then you haven't spent any money in real terms.

Did the manager want more signings or did he say we dont have european football so we dont need as many players? We were even in to buy the polish lad owned by empoli(?) but the club couldnt reach a deal because their owners wanted to soak LFC for more than theyd agreed with Napoli.

Look, I know you always take the pessimistic view but if Klopp wants a player, the club would try and get them. Lots seem to think when LFC rock up the player just wants to sign for us. They dont.

• Upvote 2

Don't want to sound like a 'super fan' but surely we need a bit of perspective here. The only team with less rest than us today let in 3 goals in the last 20 minutes of their game so we have to accept we were too knackered to play up to our usual standards & move on.

We have been brilliant this season, far better than was expected ( I remember the Rev being harangued on here for the mere suggestion we might win the league ) so I don't get the doom and gloom on here tonight. We had similar defeatism after Bournemouth & West Ham on here but luckily Klopp and the team seem to be made of sterner stuff & took 13 out of 15 points thereafter , and hopefully will again now.

i'd say it is more about us dropping pts in just such a typical lfc way...gifting a dogshite team two goals - it is always us who does this isn't...rarely our rivals - often (too often us)

add to that we have a raft of injuries...matip and cou still not back, henderson, milner and sturridge crocked and our paper thin squad looks at breaking point...

arguably our hardest away game up next against those rats who are on a roll and it is easy to feel a bit down.

it just has typical us written all over it - every time you think we have changed we find a way to revert to type...it is hugely frustrating.

yes we are doing well, better than expected and that is great...but it is just that feeling of us being in with a real shout of putting the squeeze on at the top and as we do time and time again finding a way to fail to do so when faced with garbage opposition.

our next 4 league games are:

man utd a

swansea h

chelsea h

hull a

out of those 4 which one would you say we are most likely to go and lose??

for me it is the last one and that is our problem...until we stop it we won't make the step needed to end the title drought.

Did the manager want more signings or did he say we dont have european football so we dont need as many players? We were even in to buy the polish lad owned by empoli(?) but the club couldnt reach a deal because their owners wanted to soak LFC for more than theyd agreed with Napoli.

Look, I know you always take the pessimistic view but if Klopp wants a player, the club would try and get them. Lots seem to think when LFC rock up the player just wants to sign for us. They dont.

ok fair do's...if you are right about manager not wanting more at the start of season then are you ready to acccept that he has misjudged it and we now do need additions because we are exposed.

ok fair do's...if you are right about manager not wanting more at the start of season then are you ready to acccept that he has misjudged it and we now do need additions because we are exposed.

Oh come on,please! Klopp is a seasoned manager. We're not talking some sunday league manager here.

Look at it this way, he has to convince real quality players to come here while making no promises these players are going to be able to do a better job than the players he has at his disposal. All within the squad limitations etc.

Dont forget, he'd been following us for a while before rodgers was sacked.

WE gifted them two pens, mate. We did.

Even Klopp said there's no free kick that lead to the second pen decision. You're also ignoring the two incidents I mentioned where the ref waved play on.

First, larsson tugging away at clyne in their box. You can see Clyne literally stop such is the force of the tugs. What did taylor do? Waved play on, no pen.

Second, one of their yarddogs takes a fly hack at the ball in the box, miss and whacks sturridge off his feet. What does taylor do? Waves play on.

• Upvote 1

Chelsea have better defenders for that to happen.

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

Doesnt matter how good your defenders are if the ref is giving the oppos free kicks and pens and ignoring stronger shouts for your team but you carry on supporting anyone else if you wish.

• Upvote 1

The fucking ref gifted them 2 pens! Even fucking chelsea would have drawn with sunderland if the ref had of gifted them one of the pens he gave them today.

Disagree on that. Two stonewall penalties for me. Mane's role in the second was particularly silly. And Lucas should never have given away the free kick that led to it.