You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland (A) - 3pm, 02/01/17 - Starting the new year on the Wear.

Trumo

As much as I love Klopp, his team selection today was awful...

I thought there would be more changes to freshen it up a bit. Still, hindsight is 20/20 and on the other hand, if some fringe players would have started and we failed to win, everyone would have complained about that.

Tough day, and two games in less than 48 hrs sort of robs everyone a bit really. Needs looking at, as the couple of extra days rest for Chelsea is a big advantage.

I thought there would be more changes to freshen it up a bit. Still, hindsight is 20/20 and on the other hand, if some fringe players would have started and we failed to win, everyone would have complained about that.

Spot on, that. I like the way Klopp reacted afterwards though. Hopefully he'll channel some of that anger into the players and we see another reaction from them. Loads of games still to play and some big ones coming up in the next few weeks.

As much as I love Klopp, his team selection today was awful...

Really? Who would you have replaced, and which youth team player or Lucas, Moreno or Stewart would you have started with instead?

An argument could be made for Origi for Sturridge, perhaps, but even then I thought that worked out fine.

We'd 12 players of the required quality available today, and he started 11 of them.

Second penalty was a stonewaller,but the alleged free kick that was given was an utter disgrace. The first penalty was nowhere near a pen either. Atrocious refereeing but we looked jaded and I think it was a mistake to start Sturridge and bring Origi on late,the opposite should have happened. We looked lethargic and wanted to over play all the time. I'd like more direct play at times as its something we barely do.

• Upvote 1

Really? Who would you have replaced, and which youth team player or Lucas, Moreno or Stewart would you have started with instead?

An argument could be made for Origi for Sturridge, perhaps, but even then I thought that worked out fine.

We'd 12 players of the required quality available today, and he started 11 of them.

that fact alone tells you that we need to add to the squad....we need to add now and obviously in summer as well, epsecially if we are in europe next year - can you imagine us trying to handle europe with what we have now?

it can't all be done in summer, get some in now so they can help us now and be bedded in ready for next season so we aren't trying to get too many players at once bedded in/settled.

It's the context of the result which makes it such a pisser. I never felt at ease watching us today, the unrelenting form of our rivals is what's making this so painful, fucking chelsea, tottenham and the manc cunts of late seem to be winning every fucking game. The margin for error is so small and what has been a really really impressive start to the season sees us in the middle of a dog fight. I'm not arsed about top 4, my only objective is to see us win the league if we come up short in a CL spot fine, as long as we give fucking everything to try win it. This talk of getting top 4 is bollix, and one of the greatest flaws in modern football, leave it for losers like Spurs and Arsenal.

• Upvote 1

that fact alone tells you that we need to add to the squad....we need to add now and obviously in summer as well, epsecially if we are in europe next year - can you imagine us trying to handle europe with what we have now?

it can't all be done in summer, get some in now so they can help us now and be bedded in ready for next season so we aren't trying to get too many players at once bedded in/settled.

I think the poster to whom El Rojo replied (Joseph S) believes we don't need to strengthen IIRC, but I might be wrong on that score. Either way it'd be interesting to see his alternative team selection for today's match.

It's the context of the result which makes it such a pisser. I never felt at ease watching us today, the unrelenting form of our rivals is what's making this so painful, fucking chelsea, tottenham and the manc cunts of late seem to be winning every fucking game. The margin for error is so small and what has been a really really impressive start to the season sees us in the middle of a dog fight. I'm not arsed about top 4, my only objective is to see us win the league if we come up short in a CL spot fine, as long as we give fucking everything to try win it. This talk of getting top 4 is bollix, and one of the greatest flaws in modern football, leave it for losers like Spurs and Arsenal.

There's no doubt in my mind that Klopp and the players are going for the league at this point. To suggest that a large majority of supporters don't feel this way also would be naive at best.

I think a lot of people are just trying to be realistic here, we've just had our best first half of the season in the premiership era in our manager's first full half-season in charge. A tired draw away at Sunderland is hardly the worst result, though i agree the context of the league around it makes it worse than it probably should be.

There's still a lot of football left to be played, more twists and stumbles to come for our opponents and probably for us as well.  Before the weekend started had you flipped the results and had us getting a draw from the City game whilst winning this one I think everyone would've been happy with that so for me it's not the end of the world or our title challenge. As it stands we have 5 points to make up on Chelsea possibly 8 after wednesday. Personally I'd prefer a draw in that game to keep it at 6 points, though a Spurs win would be just fine as well and if it happens we've narrowed the gap albeit less than we would've liked given the City win. If Chelsea do win, then we're still only 8 pts off top with 54 points to play for. I don't think anyone really expected that at the beginning of the season, so for me, despite the obvious disappointment at today's result I see no reason not to be optimistic nor do I see anything that suggests we're going to just settle for being top 4.

• Upvote 2

fucking mancs up next...always seems we have them after a bad result and it feels like a must win when a draw should be a reasonable result there.

that is what makes today so annoying - win today and a draw against those rats is an ok result, a draw now is likely a result that hurts us quite badly

fucking mancs up next...always seems we have them after a bad result and it feels like a must win when a draw should be a reasonable result there.

that is what makes today so annoying - win today and a draw against those rats is an ok result, a draw now is likely a result that hurts us quite badly

Flip that for a more positive view and a win there boosts everyone.

I think it was a mistake to start Sturridge and bring Origi on late,the opposite should have happened. We looked lethargic and wanted to over play all the time. I'd like more direct play at times as its something we barely do.

I haven't seen anyone else make the point on Sturridge and Origi, but I think you are right, so repped. Origi has more pace and power, and Sturridge is more suited to finish them off in the last 20-30mins. I think Sturridge. An still get a goal in this time frame, and perhaps he wouldn't have got injured either.

Spurs win please. Or even a draw.

And I'd almost sell my soul for a win at United.

I don't give much of a fuck about doing an Arsenal and clinching the 3/4th place "title".

I want to win the League.  

If we're 5 or 6 points behind after this week, I'm not giving up on it.

• Upvote 1

This could be our Boro 08/09, Hull 13/14.

But the truth is, if you really are going to win the league, even when things go against you, you have to find a way to win these kinds of games.

I didn't think we'd win it this year, and games like this are the reason why.

Still, we are a very good side, and we can still be in amongst it, and deservedly so.

• Upvote 1

I think the poster to whom El Rojo replied (Joseph S) believes we don't need to strengthen IIRC, but I might be wrong on that score. Either way it'd be interesting to see his alternative team selection for today's match.

We definitely need to strengthen. No question about it. We need a goalkeeper, a full back, a centre back, a midfielder, and a forward. That's all!

But I'd have started Origi, Sturridge, possibly Lucas, and even Moreno. Just to freshen things up as much as possible. Not ideal, don't get me wrong, but away from home against a team of donkeys 48 hours later...

• Upvote 1

I don't mind a draw there at all tbh. Would keep us five ahead of one of our rivals.