You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Miscellaneous Questions Not Worth Starting A Thread For

AngryOfTuebrook

What's with the 'do you want your receipt?' question that seems to have crept in when you're paying for things? Why wouldnt I want a record of what I had just bought from you in case I need to return said purchase for any reason or some security lurch thinks I might be doing a runner with a packet of caramel wafers?

Hey

Less of the degrading of security

We are not all jobsworth,wannbe policemen.

There is no legal requirement for them to do anything and in England I think it only applies to those with 250+ employees. 

Not as far as I'm aware, companies with more than 250 employees are obliged to charge for a bag provided. With less than this they are not obliged to charge for them. If bags are charged for the money legally should be going to charidee, whether it does or not is another matter.

As an example, I went into HMV to buy some music and they asked if I wanted a bag. I said yes and 5p was added to the bill. I went into a local independent music store and bought some music and they asked if I wanted a bag. I said yes and they put the music in the bag after I had paid for the music so no charge. Again some stores with less than 250 employees may well be charging for bags but they shouldn't be as they are almost certainly not giving it to charidee.

Not as far as I'm aware, companies with more than 250 employees are obliged to charge for a bag provided. With less than this they are not obliged to charge for them. If bags are charged for the money legally should be going to charidee, whether it does or not is another matter.

As an example, I went into HMV to buy some music and they asked if I wanted a bag. I said yes and 5p was added to the bill. I went into a local independent music store and bought some music and they asked if I wanted a bag. I said yes and they put the music in the bag after I had paid for the music so no charge. Again some stores with less than 250 employees may well be charging for bags but they shouldn't be as they are almost certainly not giving it to charidee.

Different rules in Scotland, mister

Pretty much a blanket 5p charge for any bag, plastic or otherwise, no matter what size of establishment

Can you not just take your own bags in, maybe even sell them back?

I just wear a massive pair of y-fronts, like Felix and his amazing underpants, and shove my shopping down the front of them.

That's dedication to refuse paying 5p for a plastic bag. Hopefully you don't buy too many frozen products.

What's with the 'do you want your receipt?' question that seems to have crept in when you're paying for things? Why wouldnt I want a record of what I had just bought from you in case I need to return said purchase for any reason or some security lurch thinks I might be doing a runner with a packet of caramel wafers?

Apparently it's to save till roll paper.some companies ask their staff to ask the customer if they want a receipt or not for purchases under£20.

What's with the 'do you want your receipt?' question that seems to have crept in when you're paying for things? Why wouldnt I want a record of what I had just bought from you in case I need to return said purchase for any reason or some security lurch thinks I might be doing a runner with a packet of caramel wafers?

Apparently it's to save till roll paper.some companies ask their staff to ask the customer if they want a receipt or not for purchases under£20.

They do that in one of the supermarket chains in Aus.

I always take one because

a: they don't want to give me one and

b: it's difficult to return something without a receipt. This is possibly as valid a reason as the "save paper" excuse which is good PR People can't take stuff back.

What can I do with the fourteen circular pound coins in my currency jar? Currency exchange only takes notes, as do banks with foreign currency

And are the banknotes that I've had for six years now worthless too? (£5, £10, £20)

The old paper £5 notes are legal tender until May this year. Your £10 and £20 notes are still ok. Plastic £10 notes will be issued this summer, with plastic £20 notes to follow in 2020.
  • Upvote 1

The old paper £5 notes are legal tender until May this year. Your £10 and £20 notes are still ok. Plastic £10 notes will be issued this summer, with plastic £20 notes to follow in 2020.

Should cash in the notes, shame that they are worth about 20% less than when I got them but I have zero plans to visit the UK for a few years