You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Iceland (country)

Nunavut Patrick

Anyone ever been?

Thinking of going in April; like the idea going for a drive around the island with a tent and sleeping bag and looking at some big fuck off volcanoes as well as a few days in the capital.

Yeah I've been a couple of times. Once on a city break to Reykjavik, second time for a week for my father in laws 70th, when we rented a house in Reykjavik and hired cars and explored a bit further.

I mostly did the south coast in that week, Heimaey, Vík, Eyjafjallajökull etc as well as repeating the Golden Circle and Reykjavik etc as everyone else in our party hadn't been before.

Fancied doing Ísafjörður and the north west coast, but we had to moderate our plans due to numbers and time.

I've never found the temperatures really cold, having been in January and May, anyone else but you I might have suggested that camping in April might be a tad too cold, but as it benefits from residual from the Jetstream I'd image it feels tropical compared to Nunavut

Isn't it insanely expensive over there. You pay about 20 quid for a pint.

Both times I went it was about £4.50 for a pint of Viking. Last being 2013. It was about 180kr to the pound then, so probably worse at the moment as sterling has taken a dive, maybe okay for NP though

Imports like spirits and wine are pricey. Especially in restaurants

Since the Icelandic economy collapsed and the currency was devalued, it's become a lot more affordable (though not cheap).

I spent a month there, mostly in Reykjavik, which I really liked. But I also went on two road trips: one up to Isafjordur in the northwest, which was spectacular; the other a circuit of the island, taking in the second city (Akureyri), which was also spectacular (some very dodgy driving conditions notwithstanding). So, I recommend a visit thoroughly...

Thanks Josef, I'm not worried about the driving conditions, I have a lot of experience driving shit roads and to be fair I am a cautious driver by nature.

Definately looking into going on the ring road- its aboot 900 miles I think- or doing half the island by tent and then a weekend in the capital where I will find my Viking maiden and fall in love and raise sheep on a volcanic plateau and....well, in reality go broke buying 20$ pints leering at locals....

Return flight is $565 taxes which is close to half a flight to Heathrow, a 4x4 for five days is 265€ and i have most of my own gear, would need to rent a land stove, cooler and GPS/SPOT device.

Going to swerve the geyser hot springs as it seems too touristy.

Yeah I've been a couple of times. Once on a city break to Reykjavik, second time for a week for my father in laws 70th, when we rented a house in Reykjavik and hired cars and explored a bit further.

I mostly did the south coast in that week, Heimaey, Vík, Eyjafjallajökull etc as well as repeating the Golden Circle and Reykjavik etc as everyone else in our party hadn't been before.

Fancied doing Ísafjörður and the north west coast, but we had to moderate our plans due to numbers and time.

I've never found the temperatures really cold, having been in January and May, anyone else but you I might have suggested that camping in April might be a tad too cold, but as it benefits from residual from the Jetstream I'd image it feels tropical compared to Nunavut

Thanks, the northwest coast is supposedly spectacular- the roads seem decent though?

Thanks, the northwest coast is supposedly spectacular- the roads seem decent though?

Yeah driving conditions in May were fine. I'd assume in April too. The road is a lot longer than you'd think though, and the interior seems fairly impassible.

If you've got northern Canada driving skills and experience I think you'd be fine. Obviously you'd still need a decent rental, talking of which the excess was steep on memory.

Depending on time restriction you might consider flying some legs and renting the other side. The internal flights were reasonable in memory now.

Roads are quiet, highway no 1 on the parts I drove totally fine. Back roads can get iffy especially in a non 4 x 4 rental.

Stunning country though, tad pricey but don't think it needed to be if you camped, cooked etc

Yeah driving conditions in May were fine. I'd assume in April too. The road is a lot longer than you'd think though, and the interior seems fairly impassible.

If you've got northern Canada driving skills and experience I think you'd be fine. Obviously you'd still need a decent rental, talking of which the excess was steep on memory.

Depending on time restriction you might consider flying some legs and renting the other side. The internal flights were reasonable in memory now.

Roads are quiet, highway no 1 on the parts I drove totally fine. Back roads can get iffy especially in a non 4 x 4 rental.

Stunning country though, tad pricey but don't think it needed to be if you camped, cooked etc

Yeah, you can get ash and sand insurance...and all inclusive insurance is an extra 20€ per day. Flying domestic is probably a good option, never thought of that.