You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Michael

Baltar

Different strokes for different folks. BTW, how do you know jokes about someone who has just passed away are fine for everybody? You are basically making up stuff/unwritten rules to suit your opinion on things. 

Anyway, as you were.

Compare that to the political correctness thread.

Guest Pistonbroke

Compare that to the political correctness thread.

Different things, plus as I said, different strokes for different folks. Some will be offended whilst others won't. You can't go around saying Jokes are fine whilst other stuff is out of bounds as SD did. 

Jokes are fine. Joyless, mean-spirited rubbishing of someone's entire career with shades of homophobia, not so much.

I mean, I didn't much care for Status Quo, I think their music is for simpletons, but you don't see me sniping in the Rick Parfitt thread.

I happily rubbished his entire career. Because I think his entire musical catalogue is, well, rubbish. Sorry if that upsets you.

As for the homophobia... Pray tell, where's that?

Guest Pistonbroke

Gotta love this place! Argy-bargy over someone dying.

Come on - peace and goodwill to all mankind.

Happy Christmas!

Fucking hell, Christmas countdown starts earlier every year. 

I can't stand celeb mourning. Well the public bit anyway. I'm ok with the standard RIP FB post but that's as far as it goes. I mean some people actually having candles lit and flowers dropped etc it's sickening. Unless you know the personally fuck off.

George obviously was a nice bloke and the stories that have come out since are amazing but how much did it really put him out? I mean earning millions a year. 15K is fuck all really.

And people jumping to conclusions that he had aids cause he took it up the pooper. Kinell- what's wrong with some people.

The way the media are portraying him is shit too. They fucking hated him for years. Now they love him cause they're selling their papers

• Upvote 2

Never been accused of coolness or hipness. And I love a good pop tune. Hence my love of the Beach Boys, Beatles, Byrds, Kinks, Big Star, etc.

Big Star weren't really pop, as they couldn't get arrested when they were actually producing music.  George did, however, produce popular music not entirely without merit.  I'm quite partial to Big Star's beatley pastiches but they're really just a t-shirt and a name to drop.  

• Upvote 1

Big Star weren't really pop, as they couldn't get arrested when they were actually producing music. George did, however, produce popular music not entirely without merit. I'm quite partial to Big Star's beatley pastiches but they're really just a t-shirt and a name to drop.

I guess we'd disagree about what constitutes "pop" and the merits of Big Star, then...

Guest Pistonbroke

Completely the same thing.

It isn't. My point being, the political correctness thread covers a whole host of subjects, this thread just the one, that being George Michael. Anyway, hardly worth having a debate over when you weren't the person I originally quoted and I've already covered what I wanted to point out. 

It isn't. My point being, the political correctness thread covers a whole host of subjects, this thread just the one, that being George Michael. Anyway, hardly worth having a debate over when you weren't the person I originally quoted and I've already covered what I wanted to point out.

I thought the consensus was that political correctness just meant being a decent human.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I thought the consensus was that political correctness just meant being a decent human.

Not from myself, plus others have just mentioned that people shouldn't act like a cunt, I've yet to meet a person who is a decent human being the whole time, I doubt one exists.