You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Michael

Baltar

Has anybody mentioned that his music was fucking dire? Because this appears to have been overlooked in all of the media coverage I've encountered so far.

Wait for Robbie Williams to drown in his own cum. Yet again, every fucking nobody will be telling us what a significant cultural figure he was. Fuck off. Please just fuck off.

Mr Papadopulous - or whatever his real name was - might have been the nicest pop star ever. But I'll judge him by his music. Which was shite from start to finish.

"Oh, but he wrote his own songs!" Yes, shit songs!

"Oh, but he could really sing!" So could my parish fucking priest!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

He wrote great music. He had a brilliant voice. He was excellent live. He was by all accounts a decent sort. No need for the shite talk. If you don't like him or his music then that's cool, just avoid the thread and go listen to mumford and sons

They're shite, too. Equally shite.

Has anybody mentioned that his music was fucking dire? Because this appears to have been overlooked in all of the media coverage I've encountered so far.

Wait for Robbie Williams to drown in his own cum. Yet again, every fucking nobody will be telling us what a significant cultural figure he was. Fuck off. Please just fuck off.

Mr Papadopulous - or whatever his real name was - might have been the nicest pop star ever. But I'll judge him by his music. Which was shite from start to finish.

Negged.

I love Careless Whispher and Last Christmas is my favourite Christmas song.

I wouldn't have put it quite like that but repped, I said something similar to my wife earlier, judging by some of the stories coming out today it seems he was a decent sort but I would never think of buying one of his records and that's what you want from your musicians, great records, not great acts of kindness (although both would be nice).

Fair play to the people who like his music, different strokes and all that.

I wouldn't have put it quite like that but repped, I said something similar to my wife earlier, judging by some of the stories coming out today it seems he was a decent sort but I would never think of buying one of his records and that's what you want from your musicians, great records, not great acts of kindness (although both would be nice).

Fair play to the people who like his music, different strokes and all that.

He had a fantastic voice, that's more than enough to give him plenty of musical credibility in my eyes.

• Upvote 2

Good voice, wrote some of the catchiest pop tunes of his era, branched out and spread his wings musically, stood up for himself in a spat with a large multinational company, looked after his mates and was no stranger to acts of generosity, which, while he had the means, he certainly did not have to do. There's a lot there to celebrate and miss.

As for the cause of death, I'm not sure if something has happened in recent years, but it seems to be increasingly rare or taboo to report whether or not people have AIDS or have died of AIDS. If George Michael didn't, then fair enough. Heart failure at 53 for a trim looking fella is desperate bad luck. If he did have AIDS, and if it came about from a promiscuous lifestyle, then there is educational value in getting the message out that AIDS is still around. Somewhere along the way I half wonder if we've become a bit blasé about the problem?

For the avoidance of confusion, the first paragraph sums up what I thought about George Michael. The second paragraph is speculative and thus potentially unfair, but I'm wondering if an opportunity might have been missed?

• Upvote 1