You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Michael

Baltar

Honestly, you'd have been better off continuing to ignore it cos at best you're coming off as very mean spirited.

You came on complaining about the praise George Michael's music was receiving, ignoring the fact that accepted wisdom is that he was a very talented writer and singer. Yes, accepted wisdom, across people from all walks of life and all areas of the music industry. You don't like that because you don't like him, but instead of respectfully disagreeing with accepted wisdom you insist on forcing your entirely personal opinion onto the thread by repeatedly discrediting his abilities.

Deal with it, George Michael was a hugely respected, talented, singer-songwriter.

"Received wisdom"? "Accepted wisdom"? "All walks of life"? "All areas of the music industry"?

Have you ever made the effort to think for yourself?

Can see where you're coming from I do think comparing someone like George Michael who wrote some classics to Shaking Stevens is a bit wide of the mark.

Also, Elvis didn't write any songs. The closest he got was being credited as a co-writer.

Read my post. Songwriting wasn't the basis for my comparison with (another pop star like) Shakin' Stevens.

I don't care if George Michael wrote his own songs. On that basis, you could argue for (another pop star like) Gary Barlow's superiority over Elvis.

It's an utter mystery to me how Michael has been elevated above the likes of Stevens, Barlow, and (another pop star like) Robbie Williams, to be honest. Though death evidently helps.

Read my post. Songwriting wasn't the basis for my comparison with (another pop star like) Shakin' Stevens.

I don't care if George Michael wrote his own songs. On that basis, you could argue for (another pop star like) Gary Barlow's superiority over Elvis.

It's an utter mystery to me how Michael has been elevated above the likes of Stevens, Barlow, and (another pop star like) Robbie Williams, to be honest. Though death evidently helps.

I have read your post? I'm not objecting to everything you said.

Thought I would comment on certain points of it.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

He's no Alvin Stardust though

It's amazing how many people seem to believe that thinking for yourself involves adopting minority positions. Unthinking contrarianism does seem to be the single unifying trait of the hipster community.

Where did I say - or even imply - that thinking for yourself involves adopting minority positions? Come on? Where?

In any event, I don't take lessons in independent thought from pitiful ideologues.

Have you ever made the effort to think for yourself?

Yeah but that's not the point I was making, which is fairly obvious.

Although maybe I don't think for myself seeing as though I love Brian Wilson too and he's even more highly thought of by the masses and the industry than George is.

Yeah but that's not the point I was making, which is fairly obvious.

Although maybe I don't think for myself seeing as though I love Brian Wilson too and he's even more highly thought of by the masses and the industry than George is.

Why are you talking about the industry? Why should I care what the industry makes of George Michael? The sole function of said industry is to make money. If Mister Blobby stands to make more money than Bob Dylan, then the industry rates Mister Blobby more highly than Bob Dylan. Which is entirely rational from that industry's point of view. But not from mine.

Where did I say - or even imply - that thinking for yourself involves adopting minority positions? Come on? Where?

It wasn't a reference solely to you (see the Mysteries of the Universe thread), nevertheless you're the one who asserted that someone had never thought for themself merely for pointing out that George Michael was widely respected. The impression you gave is that that because something is popular, you believe those who like it are just following the herd.

In any event, I don't take lessons in independent thought from pitiful ideologues.

The idea that independent thought is incompatible with an ideological belief in individual liberty is just risible. You're having a 'mare here.

I would neg you for it if I wasn't reserving all my negs for the evil cunt who just negged me 5 times.

The idea that independent thought is incompatible with an ideological belief in individual liberty is just risible. You're having a 'mare here.

You don't (just) believe in (the importance of the value of) individual liberty. Quite clearly, you believe in - or dogmatically assert - the entire edifice of classical liberalism (crudely and uncritically understood). Which is why you believe in property rights, the rule of law, parliamentary democracy, etc. That entire edifice was built by others. You've demonstrated no capacity whatsoever to question it.

You don't (just) believe in (the importance of the value of) individual liberty. Quite clearly, you believe in - or dogmatically assert - the entire edifice of classical liberalism (crudely and uncritically understood). Which is why you believe in property rights, the rule of law, parliamentary democracy, etc. That entire edifice was built by others. You've demonstrated no capacity whatsoever to question it.

I'm very sorry that you are so wildly mistaken about my critical faculties, my political beliefs, and the value of George Michael's output.