You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Michael

Baltar

It's not the fact of the amount it's the fact that he could be bothered enough to give someone the money just because he happened to be watching the show at the time and thought he could help someone who needed it.

Just like the £5k he gave the bar maid who was a student nurse struggling with debt. Again, the £5k would have been nothing to him but if more millionaire and billionaires acted with these sort of kind gestures the world would be a better place no?

It would better if they were not taxing avoiding cunts and education (including for nurses) went back to being free

This would seem to be a link to the show :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008006s

In 2007, George Michael was Kirsty Young's castaway on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs.

He described his life as having felt "self-destructive", going on to talk about love, loss, his sexuality and drug use.

Michael did not choose any of his own songs for his castaway list, but recounted the tragedy which inspired Jesus to a Child.

What did he pick?

Not a loaded question btw, I'm genuinely interested.

Roxy Music - Do The Strand

Amy Winehouse - Love Is A Losing Game (This was his "if only allowed one" choice)

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Pet Shop Boys - Being Boring

Goldfrapp - Paper Bag

Rufus Wainwright - Going To A Town

Kanye West - Gold Digger

• Upvote 1

Come on mate, you're better than this post. Whether you liked him or his music, you can't deny that he was a cultural influence and a pop icon.

He could sing, he could write tunes, he did have influence over millions of people.

I'll be choked when Ozzy dies, he's made me laugh, he's rocked my world, he's influnced millions of people too, but it doesn't mean that I can't appreciate what George Michael did as a musician and a human being.

Wham and George really weren't my thing, but as a kid, summer of 84, you can't dispute that he was the one that women wanted to be around and men wanted to be.

But George Michael's legacy really will stay on for all time. Shit songs? Maybe. Not your thing? Definitely. Was it mine? Not really, but I do know that he was massively influential and he was a better than most human being. He used his fame and fortune to do good in this world, which sets him apart from virtually every other one of the cunts who knock out love songs.

I didn't like Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Prince, all whom have died, I don't like Paul McCartney much, or Elton John, but they have left a legacy whilst alive and will do when they die.

No need to trample all over them just because they aren't to your taste.

There can be a differtiation between the man, his music, his deeds and his impact. Your above post does you no credit at all.

You don't like his music? I don't much either, but the man has died, and did some good things while he was alive, and to others he did some great things whilst alive.

George Michael was the Elvis Presley of the 80's, and a philatrophist, whether you like it or not.

I've ignored this thread for a while. But there's so much that's objectionable about this post, I barely know where to start. So, to save myself the effort, I'll start at the end.

The Elvis fucking comparison. Jesus, I may overstate my criticism. But nowhere near your overstatement of praise.

Listen to the Sun recordings. Listen to the Memphis recordings. You are absolutely nuts if you think a single song George Michael ever recorded deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Elvis Presley.

Elvis, for all his imperfections, defined rock and roll at its very best. And, if you think iconography matters (which I don't), then George Michael has more in common with Shakin Stevens than Elvis Presley. Look at the Faith promo material. That's fucking Shakin Stevens for MTV.

Lord, I despair...