You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Matip's potential Cameroon call up.

niallers

So far this season we've already lost three weekend match days and two potential mid week fixtures and there are two more weekend and two more mid week internationals before the season ends.

So 9 potential match days. You could easily chuck a 3 week break in at the start of January and still have some scope for less fixture congestion elsewhere as you've really only used 6 potential match days. 

Then again I'd also have the Champions League revert to being League winners only, plus the winner of the previous years tournament if they didn't win their league and that all being knockout with no seeding. Next few league spots and/or cup winners for the UEFA Cup also made into a knockout only competition with no seeding. 

But I'm not interested TV revenue over having a decent sporting contest, unlike the governing bodies who just want to cream as much cash as they can. 

• Upvote 1

It's the ex president of FIFA, blatter, who pushed this international calendar farce as he wanted to ensure international football was the 'pinnacle' of football.

I think that's bullshit. He wanted international football to appear supreme because it re inforced his own position as the head of football. The cunt.

• Upvote 2

I still like the business end of competitions and I do love seeing smaller countries getting to tournaments - it was a bit of a laugh seeing Iceland doing well in the summer.

The big thing is that there is a far less spread of quality amongst countries than there used to be. In the past, countries like Ireland, Scotland, Romania, Denmark etc used to have at least one world class player and at times several of them. If you take those four countries as as an example now, only Eriksen and Coleman would stand out as being very good, but they wouldn't meet my idea of world class. You won't see a Sparta Prague, a Ferencevaros, a Celtic or a Steau Bucharest win a European competition now and this has impacted on the quality of the national teams in those countries.

The Rule is - 

As a general rule, every player registered with a club is obliged to respond affirmatively when called up by the association he is eligible to represent on the basis of his nationality to play for one of its representative teams. 

but as has been pointed out a player who has retired from international football by definition does not want to play, so why call up a player who does not want to play? 

This might be a "but I don't know any Trump voters personally so I don't understand how he was elected" moment but I genuinely don't know anyone who likes international football.

About 98% of the people I've spoken with about it hate it with a passion.  The other 2% don't really care.  Where is the market for these games?  I have a very hard time understanding why we have to pause actual league seasons for meaningless games no one wants to watch every two months!

My wife loves following Ingerland, and that gerl's my werld. So there.

• 2 weeks later...