You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who are the best live act you've ever seen

Bjornebye

In no order:

The Prodigy - Reading 2002

The Pogues - Cardiff 2005 (Dropkick Murphys supporting)

Arcade Fire - Cardiff 2007

The Living End - London 2012 (I think)

Rancid - Astoria farewell show

and a couple that are/were always ace:

The Bouncing Souls

Adequate Seven

Any Frank Carter (Gallows, Pure Love, Rattlesnakes)

Any Ginger (Wildhearts etc)

Man... Astoria dead, TJs dead and Exeter Cavern burnt out earlier this year... guess it's all festivals and arenas these days, running out of places for new scenes to take root.

What were Dropkick Murphys like mate? I'd love to see them live

Not the best show of theirs I've seen, but was the perfect warm up to the Pogues.  They are generally excellent, listen to their Live on St Patrick's Day album and you'll get the idea.  Best time I saw them was at Exeter Lemongrove, which was way too small for them and they covered Guns of Brixton and Baba O'Riley at the end.  Was awesome, whole place was bouncing and singing along.

Skinhead on the MBTA is always a class send-off as well, everyone charging the stage singing along.

Which reminds me, seen Iggy and the Stooges a couple of times as well.  They were excellent.

Not the best show of theirs I've seen, but was the perfect warm up to the Pogues. They are generally excellent, listen to their Live on St Patrick's Day album and you'll get the idea. Best time I saw them was at Exeter Lemongrove, which was way too small for them and they covered Guns of Brixton and Baba O'Riley at the end. Was awesome, whole place was bouncing and singing along.

Skinhead on the MBTA is always a class send-off as well, everyone charging the stage singing along.

Which reminds me, seen Iggy and the Stooges a couple of times as well. They were excellent.

Yep seen Iggy twice. Fucking boss

In no order whatsoever

Rocket From The Crypt

Mudhoney

Nirvana

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Spiritualized

Thee Oh Sees

The Polyphonic Spree

Neutral Milk Hotel

Fat White Family

King Khan & The Shrines

Big Ups

Repetitor

Stooges

Iggy

Sonics

All fucking boss

Bunnymen have been mainly boss when I've seen them but it does depend on Mac's mood.

Sonic Youth have the honour of being both one of the best bands I've ever seen followed by the second time being one of the worst.

• Upvote 3

James Brown in a tent at oxegen 2005

Prince at o2 and malahide castle

Chili Peppers stadium of light sunderland

the rest in no particular order

Faith No More at the point and dalymount

Blur feile Cork 95

Oasis witnness 2002

Prodigy feile Cork 95

U2 sse arena belfast 2015

Stones slane 2007

Springsteen rds 2012 and croker 2016

Coldplay oxegen 2003 and marley park 05

white stripes tennents vital belfast 2004

audioslave oxegen 05

Stevie wonder rod laver Melbourne 2008

the strypes olympia dublin 2016

black crowes olympia dublin 97

guns n roses slane 92

the Pogues kings hall belfast 07

gomez ulster hall 2000 and Mandela hall 06

the thrills ulster hall 2003

Ian Brown ulster hall 02, 05

Defo the year Bowie headlined, Shep. Can't remember Chemical Brothers, along with Primal Scream and 1 or 2 others they have just been at so many festivals I've seen them at it all merges into one.

Never went on the Friday that year which may account for me not knowing about NIN.

Gutted.

Glastonbury, 2000. Came on straight after Leftfield and battered fuck out of them.

Mmmmm, MDMA.

Saw them at the wedgewood rooms about 4/5 years ago. Only know of them from the song Scorpio rising with liam Gallagher. They were fucking tremendous. Real atmospheric stuff.

Defo the year Bowie headlined, Shep. Can't remember Chemical Brothers, along with Primal Scream and 1 or 2 others they have just been at so many festivals I've seen them at it all merges into one.

Never went on the Friday that year which may account for me not knowing about NIN.

Gutted.

That was the year I went with my (then) girlfriend and her (then) husband, his best mate and her best mate and a bin liner full of Stella Artois.

Yeh, interesting weekend.

That was the year I went with my (then) girlfriend and her (then) husband, his best mate and her best mate and a bin liner full of Stella Artois.

Yeh, interesting weekend.

My mates were insistent on driving back early on the Sunday night as we all had to work the next day, until I put my foot down and told them in a few weeks they wouldn't give a fuck they'd felt tired at work for a few days but they'd always be gutted they never took the chance to see Bowie.

Sense won out.

In no order:

The Prodigy - Reading 2002

The Pogues - Cardiff 2005 (Dropkick Murphys supporting)

Arcade Fire - Cardiff 2007

The Living End - London 2012 (I think)

Rancid - Astoria farewell show

and a couple that are/were always ace:

The Bouncing Souls

Adequate Seven

Any Frank Carter (Gallows, Pure Love, Rattlesnakes)

Any Ginger (Wildhearts etc)

Man... Astoria dead, TJs dead and Exeter Cavern burnt out earlier this year... guess it's all festivals and arenas these days, running out of places for new scenes to take root.

Always fucking hated that place.

*No, it wasn't me*

My mates were insistent on driving back early on the Sunday night as we all had to work the next day, until I put my foot down and told them in a few weeks they wouldn't give a fuck they'd felt tired at work for a few days but they'd always be gutted they never took the chance to see Bowie.

Sense won out.

Bowie was supreme that balmy Sunday evening.

I haven't been to that many concerts, but the best one was probably Coldplay in Cincinnati a few years ago.

Many years ago I went to see a concert (when is a concert a recital?) by the classical guitarist John Williams at Birmingham's Symphony Hall. I was lucky to be sitting really close. The musicianship was incredible and the acoustics in the hall were really good too. I could practice all day every day and never get close to what I saw and heard.

A couple years ago for a Christmas treat I took Mrs G to see the Vienna Boys Choir here in Carmel, Indiana. I thought it would an interesting thing to see a world renowned choir, but unfortunately it was a pretty underwhelming experience. At first Mrs G gamely smiled as she knew I had tried to arrange a nice thing. We went for a nice meal afterwards to salvage our night out.