You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

15 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

So he's going to miss the next 4 games.

I would play Milner, he's ok on the right, he struggles on the left. We could Play Neco Williams for the Champions League games as well seeing as we are almost through. 

Hopefully Faninho and Thiago will be back so that will make us stronger defensively. 

Agree with a lot of this. Main worry is probably the Leicester game, they will try to hit us on the counter obviously, and pace is key.

Also our increased choice of formations could be handy now. In the 433 the full backs are vital in attack for us. Maybe less so if we go 4231 or 442 with Jota or Shaqiri or both.

No matter what Trent will be missed, he’s been excellent for the last games, but we just have to keep going.

My first inclination would be to put Gomez, Milner or Hendo at right back. But I also think Neco might be fine there for those games. He just needs to keep things simple. It wasn't working when he was taking too many touches and trying complicated stuff the last few games he started as right back. 

He should follow the example of Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams. Do nothing too fancy. Focus on defending properly.

25 minutes ago, No2 said:

It should only be 2 league games,  go with Neco for the home game and Milner for the away game. Klopp was full of praise for Neco a couple of weeks back, I'd go for him once Matip hasn't broken down on his holidays.

I agree with a previous poster that Williams looks some way off a first team berth at present.

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I agree with a previous poster that Williams looks some way off a first team berth at present.

We're basing that on essentially non competitive matches. Stick him in there with 10 other lads who are on it and we won't see the same issues we did at Brighton and the league Cup. We have 4 games in 2 weeks, Milner can only play 2 so its a choice of which ones you want Neco in.

Henderson the logical choice for me under the proviso that Thiago & Fab back after international break.

Midfield of Fab, Wij, Thiago, 
Back 4: Hendo, Matip, Gomez, Robbo

Actually think Chamberlain would be a great deputy for Trent, played his best stuff for Arsenal at RWB, would benefit from the extra space to run into. However, he appears to be dead.

It'll be Milner or Williams, surely. Hated what I saw from Milner Sunday. It was a flashback to Clyne who would kill absolutely all of our attacks, but if we aren't too gung-ho going forward, he should be solid enough in defense.

Williams, we don't know how he's doing right now. He was terrible last season and when he's played this season, but maybe he'll have progressed. Only the coaches really know.

17 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think Henderson is the second best right back at the club. Doubt Klopp would want to lose his influence from the centre of midfield though.

Agree about Hendo.Jurgen might be persuaded if Thiago and Fab are playing. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It'll be Milner or Williams, surely. Hated what I saw from Milner Sunday. It was a flashback to Clyne who would kill absolutely all of our attacks, but if we aren't too gung-ho going forward, he should be solid enough in defense.

I thought Milner did great, really solid during a period where we could have let the game slip.

He might have killed all of our attacks but he was unexpectedly thrown on to kill theirs off and he was successful. 

I imagine he will be a lot better going forward if that's what the plan is beforehand and we can plan our shape and tactics around him. 

• Upvote 1

Last thing we need is to play all 3 of our centre back options in defence, so Joe Gomez at right back is a no for me, Clive. I'd even consider keeping Fabinho out of midfield when he's back, just in case. We have plenty there already.

Hendo is a great shout but I'd give Neco another go. He needs opportunities and we need to see whether he's good enough or not.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Williams, we don't know how he's doing right now. He was terrible last season and when he's played this season, but maybe he'll have progressed. Only the coaches really know.

"Terrible" is a bit harsh. There was one game at Brighton where he wasn't great, but he was playing at left-back and it didn't suit him. Still managed to make a goal saving block when it was 1-1. 

All the criticism I've seen of him seems to relate to the Aubameyang goal in the Charity Shield. He should have done better but it was still a great finish from range. 

Given his age and inexperience I think he's done alright. 

21 minutes ago, m0e said:

Last thing we need is to play all 3 of our centre back options in defence, so Joe Gomez at right back is a no for me, Clive. I'd even consider keeping Fabinho out of midfield when he's back, just in case. We have plenty there already.

Hendo is a great shout but I'd give Neco another go. He needs opportunities and we need to see whether he's good enough or not.

I'd be more than happy for Neco to be given opportunities in the CL games but I'm more hesitant against Leicester who'll just sit back aiming to blitz us on the counter.