You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

• 2 years later...
Guest Alex_K
On 30/11/2016 at 19:32, manwiththestick said:

Put in a couple of excellent crosses including the one for Divock's goal.

Worth a bump!

Is there a more talented right back in world football? Who? He should never have been left out at the Nou Camp, and how he set wrongs to right tonight!

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's a prodigy. I still can't believe what he did for the 4th goal. It's the type of instinctual act that just leaves you shaking your head. 

Being an athlete goes a long way in a lot of sports, but football does require something else. And golly, does he have it. Genius.

5 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Worth a bump!

Is there a more talented right back in world football? Who? He should never have been left out at the Nou Camp, and how he set wrongs to right tonight!

Crazy leaving him out of the first leg but it doesn't matter now. He's such a clever player. 10 year contract please. 

10 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Fucking superb player. Going to go down as an all time great at this club. A shame he doesn't get more praise on here instead of multiple pages arguing over how many headers he wins.

Have to say I am one of those who criticise him. However in my defence I have never doubted his ability as a footballer but for me the difference last night was the last 10mins. He played brilliantly in defence pace touch tackling composure he showed it all this after he goes and engineers one of the most iconic goals in our history. How he remained clear headed after doing that and performed the way he did shows me he is captain material in future. Well done young man.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Have to say I am one of those who criticise him. However in my defence I have never doubted his ability as a footballer but for me the difference last night was the last 10mins. He played brilliantly in defence pace touch tackling composure he showed it all this after he goes and engineers one of the most iconic goals in our history. How he remained clear headed after doing that and performed the way he did shows me he is captain material in future. Well done young man.

I think the main problem is some people have attached unrealistic expectations on him. He's a 20 year old kid, and with maybe the exception of a keeper, defence is the hardest place for a player to come through. You rarely see someone his age starting for a club as big as Liverpool in defence. Three best right backs I've seen play are Cafu, Thuram and Zanetti. Cafu was 27 when he got his move to Roma. Thuram 24 when he got his move to Italy. Zanetti 22 when he moved to Inter.

Trent is going to end the season with 85 games under his belt at the age of 20. He'll have played in two champions league finals, a world cup and been a key part of the team responsible for our best points total. He's a phenomenon. So yeah, he might get roasted now and again by some Cardiff bit part player but that's all part of growing up. Imagine what he'll be like in two or three years. He'd almost be wasted as a right back if Klopp didn't place so much importance on the fullback position. I'm still shaking my head over the corner last night. Fucking unbelievable.

• Upvote 6

He gets praise.  I don’t think there’s one person here who doesn’t think he’s going to be a top player.  There are a few who think he is or at least can be suspect defensively.  Last night he was the best player on the pitch that had Messi, Van Dijk, Suarez, Mane and Robertson on it.  There aren’t really words to describe the game he had.

The points about him in defence, the lack of pace and aerial ability were a possible explanation of why the best manager in the world left him out of the first leg.  Some people can’t handle that but that’s their issue.  Klopp put him back in and it’s difficult to see him making that same decision again.

32 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He gets praise.  I don’t think there’s one person here who doesn’t think he’s going to be a top player.  There are a few who think he is or at least can be suspect defensively.  Last night he was the best player on the pitch that had Messi, Van Dijk, Suarez, Mane and Robertson on it.  There aren’t really words to describe the game he had.

The points about him in defence, the lack of pace and aerial ability were a possible explanation of why the best manager in the world left him out of the first leg.  Some people can’t handle that but that’s their issue.  Klopp put him back in and it’s difficult to see him making that same decision again.

Gomez is better than him defensively, but not as a full back. He's a centre back who can play full back. The difference between Gomez the fullback and Gomez the centre back is like night and day. Klopp also left out Hendo in the first leg and when asked said it was simply because he had played more football recently and the others had a better fitness level at that moment. Could be the same for Trent.

I don't think pace is going to be a problem for him either. He's a quick player. Lack of experience rather than lack of pace are responsible for any exposure in my view. I wouldn't say he's any slower than Lahm or Zanetti or any number of other top full backs down the years.

• Upvote 2

Jurgen doesn't drop Trent - he just rests him now and again when he thinks he needs it.  He was looking a bit leggy before Barca away so he gets a rest. He does exactly the same with the midfield and whoever partners VVD and he'd do the same with the rest of the team if he had comparable quality to bring in.  Not a big deal. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Lack of experience rather than lack of pace are responsible for any exposure in my view.

Agree. His level of learning fast is phenomenal though. Expect him to look far less exposed next season.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Gomez is better than him defensively, but not as a full back. He's a centre back who can play full back. The difference between Gomez the fullback and Gomez the centre back is like night and day. Klopp also left out Hendo in the first leg and when asked said it was simply because he had played more football recently and the others had a better fitness level at that moment. Could be the same for Trent.

I don't think pace is going to be a problem for him either. He's a quick player. Lack of experience rather than lack of pace are responsible for any exposure in my view. I wouldn't say he's any slower than Lahm or Zanetti or any number of other top full backs down the years.

I disagree on the Gomez at full back thing.  Gomez is better in the air, quicker than him and is better at tackling and reading attacking players running at him.  He’s just far better defensively (even though he was all over the show when he come on last night) and I don’t know how you can watch them and think otherwise.  He’s played the majority of his career at full back and has looked better than Trent as a whole at various points when they’ve both been vying for the position.  It’s not like shoving Lovren there.  Now I think most people would agree Trent is superior as a whole there because he is obviously far better attacking and in possession and the argument that Klopp should have just gone with him regardless especially because Gomez is only just back from injury is a strong one considering what we seen last night.

In the long run I don’t think pace will be a problem for him either.  He will get better at defending so it becomes less of an issue as with the players you mentioned.  At the start of the season I didn’t want him starting and he didn’t start the season well at all.  I thought this was the best chance of winning the league in years and I didn’t think it was the best time to be playing a young player who would be up and down, learning and making mistakes.  Even though he had the potential to be world class.  Sometimes I think I’ve been right and we’ve just got away with it but on the whole I’ve been wrong.  He hasn’t just been a work in progress that we would see the benefit of in future years. He’s now a massive reason we are within a game of winning the league and a game of winning the champions league in this season.

I still don’t think Klopp’s decision to leave him out last week was a “resting” or rotation.  It was the biggest game of the season.  It was tactical and I think it was for the reasons I outlined above.  Whether you agree with them or not it happened and it wasn’t me making them.