You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone been to Amsterdam, best place to stay?

chrisbonnie

That looks easy enough.

You are about a ten minute walk away from Cafe Gollem which is a great little bar with some fine beers.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4429/?view=ratings

About the same to Anne Frank house if you want to see it. Book in advance on the website if you do and save yourself hours of queuing.

The Cafe Gollem.  It's only the venue Taff's Tavern could have been.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Going with three of my mates for a couple of nights in November, looking to stay fairly central to most of the bars (recommendations welcome) but they all want to do the Heineken tour and the tour of Ajax stadium. Are both of those fairly easy to get to?

Trying to get flights and accommodation for around £200 each.

44 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Going with three of my mates for a couple of nights in November, looking to stay fairly central to most of the bars (recommendations welcome) but they all want to do the Heineken tour and the tour of Ajax stadium. Are both of those fairly easy to get to?

Heineken tour is walking distance from city centre- maybe 15 mins. Easy to find. 

No idea where the Amsterdam Arena is.

If you love rum I know a place that has 200+bottles of the stuff all,crammed into a small pub. Along with loads of Muppet and Frank Sinatra memorabilia. 

https://cafehetspui-tje.nl/en/

Around the corner is Gollem Raamsteeg bier cafe; massive selection of beers and ales. 

Hotels tend to be expensive in Amsterdam, I stayed at an old navy residence converted to hotel. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers NP. I’ll try and check that rum place out. 

What’s the score with the weed over there? I’m sure we’ll be partaking but none of us are regularly into it, don’t want anyone getting off their tits on it and making a show of themselves. 

Well, I don’t want that to happen to me, I’d be happy for it to happen to them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Cheers NP. I’ll try and check that rum place out. 

What’s the score with the weed over there? I’m sure we’ll be partaking but none of us are regularly into it, don’t want anyone getting off their tits on it and making a show of themselves. 

Well, I don’t want that to happen to me, I’d be happy for it to happen to them.

Smoke it in the cafes, they have a green sign but its pretty obvious which cafes are weed places. No beer is allowed to be sold at the weed cafes, so no joint and Heineken. You can get bags and joints to go but I think its illegal to smoke on the street. 

My ex was a weed smoker and the staff are usually pretty knowledgable about the different strains and affects. So if you tell them you want something mellow and will let you function they can find a good strain. My ex trued something a stringer once and was out of order for about two hours but when she stuck to  lighter strains had a good buzz.

cloggypop would know more as he lives there

1 minute ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Smoke it in the cafes, they have a green sign but its pretty obvious which cafes are weed places. No beer is allowed to be sold at the weed cafes, so no joint and Heineken. You can get bags and joints to go but I think its illegal to smoke on the street. 

My ex was a weed smoker and the staff are usually pretty knowledgable about the different strains and affects. So if you tell them you want something mellow and will let you function they can find a good strain. My ex trued something a stringer once and was out of order for about two hours but when she stuck to  lighter strains had a good buzz.

cloggypop would know more as he lives there

One of the lads in work took something there earlier in the year and it wrote his whole day and night off he was so off his face. I don't mind smoking it but I think the others would prefer something you can eat.

One of the other three is an Evertonian so I might just buy him something mega strong and tell him it's mellow. The cunt.

Was sitting outside a cafe and this guy comes up wearing and awning as a cape and the pole as a staff and pounded it on the ground three times and said 'FIRE' ....he had a joint in his mouth so I gave him a lighter and he pounded the staff again and said fire so I sparked the lighter and lit his joint and he pounded his staff ( which was really an awning pole) and went on his way.

The ex-wife had eyes like saucers; the guy was about 6"4 (the Dutch are tall- and the women are tall and gorgeous in a no-nonsense way- natural) and he looked like a crazed Viking with this canvas awning draped over him. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

One of the lads in work took something there earlier in the year and it wrote his whole day and night off he was so off his face. I don't mind smoking it but I think the others would prefer something you can eat.

One of the other three is an Evertonian so I might just buy him something mega strong and tell him it's mellow. The cunt.

Yeah they all sell cupcakes and brownies and the like.

Just chuck the Evertonian into a canal. 

And watch out for the bicycles. Everywhere. 

11 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Go T'IJ Brouwerij instead of the Heineken one. The beer is much better and it's got a windmill next to it. Heineken has it's main brewery near Leiden these days anyway. 

Another vote for Gollem from me. It sells some of the finest beers available to humanity. 

For weed, just don't buy stupidly strong skunk. You can get old style Jamaican for a mellow smoke or stick to some good hash instead. Most people selling it will give you decent advice on what they have and can steer you towards the type of buzz you are after. 

Ajax stadium is at the Bijlmer. Easy enough to get to on the Metro or train from Centraal. 

• Upvote 2

ill give a noticeable mention to the Beer Temple

the range of craft ales was ridiculous.

Also when we where there we went to Cannable Royal for some grub.

Great steaks, good beers, fairly hisptery. I think there's a few of them, cant remember which one we went to, But funnily enough we booked a table and when we arrived the manager was half irish. Mam was irish, father was dutch, so although he grew up in amsterdam, he spoke english with a Dublin accent, which helped us no end. As a dubliner, it can often be hard for non irish to get our accents. 

From my recollection, the cannible royale we visited in handboogstraat had a "cafe beside" it, looked a decent joint, pardon the pun, compared to those Bulldog branded ones. Im personally not a weed smoker, but the Bulldog ones look horrendous, i can only imagine they are full of English lager louts. 

18 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

The ex-wife had eyes like saucers; the guy was about 6"4 (the Dutch are tall- and the women are tall and gorgeous in a no-nonsense way- natural) and he looked like a crazed Viking with this canvas awning draped over him. 

7 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Go T'IJ Brouwerij instead of the Heineken one. The beer is much better and it's got a windmill next to it. Heineken has it's main brewery near Leiden these days anyway. 

I'd agree with this, great beers at the windmill place. The Heineken tour is not bad, just nothing special either.