You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rest in Power Fidel Castro

Hades

• 3 years later...

If it happened the way it's claimed,  it's fucking gruesome and pointing out that the USA and Israel do bad shit doesn't alter that.

I'm not sure whether to actually believe it, because I can only find one (virulently anti-Castro) source - and the idea that you can drain 7 pints of blood from someone and they'd still be alive enough to execute seems implausible. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB113590852154334404

In any case, the death penalty and torture are never justified in any circumstances  - and there's no doubt that both were carried out by Castro's government. 

I just found it a tad rich to see a tweet pointing the finger at Castro, however deservedly, while at the same time implying that the Vietnam War and the inconceivable horrors visited upon the people of SE Asia by the USA during that conflict were a justifiable act of self-defense against "Viet Cong aggression".

It put me in mind of something Jesus apparently said:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

22 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You, er, need a bit of that.

Sounds like bullshit.

The Inter American Human Rights Commission is part of the Organization of American States, which seems to have the goal of opposing left wing governments and is mainly funded by the US. And has its main headquarters in DC.

Have a read of this from the OAS in 1962, fair and balanced https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/intam17.asp

Maybe there's other sources, wouldn't be surprised if there isn't though.

RESOLVES:

1. That adherence by any member of the Organization of American States to Marxism-Leninism is incompatible with the inter-American system and the alignment of such a government with the communist bloc breaks the unity and solidarity of the hemisphere.

2 That the present Government of Cuba, which has officially identified itself as a Marxist-Leninist government, is incompatible with the principles and objectives of the inter-American system

3. That this incompatibility excludes the present Government of Cuba from participation in the inter-American system.

The affirmation that communism is not the way to achieve economic development and the elimination of social injustice in America. On the contrary, a democratic regime can encompass all the efforts for economic advancement and all of the measures for improvement and social progress without sacrificing the fundamental values of the human being.

17 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If it happened the way it's claimed,  it's fucking gruesome and pointing out that the USA and Israel do bad shit doesn't alter that.

I'm not sure whether to actually believe it, because I can only find one (virulently anti-Castro) source - and the idea that you can drain 7 pints of blood from someone and they'd still be alive enough to execute seems implausible. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB113590852154334404

In any case, the death penalty and torture are never justified in any circumstances  - and there's no doubt that both were carried out by Castro's government. 

True mate but it’s the hypocrisy. You can’t slag one thing off but deny/ignore/defend your own side.