You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton 0 Liverpool 0 (Nov 19 2016)

tlw content

southamptonreport1.jpg

Move along, nothing to see here. If we’re going to drop points, this is as good a way to do it as any. There really wasn’t much wrong with this at all, in some respects it was actually one of our best performances of the season.

Unfortunately we didn’t take any of the numerous good chances we created and that’s frustrating, but my confidence in the team certainly hasn’t been knocked after this. If anything, it’s the opposite. 

Southampton isn’t an easy place to go but they were scared stiff of us and hardly ventured out of their own half. One of their players said afterwards we’re the best team he’s ever played against. They were made up with their point and they had to defend very well to get it, but they also had some poor finishing from us to thank for it too. We should have won the game and did more than enough to do so ordinarily, but sometimes you get days where it just won’t go in. 

I said a few weeks ago that the team had shown enough now for me to trust them, but that it’s impossible to win every game and at some point they were going to have a disappointing result. That’s just football. The important thing was not to over-react to any setback, but I wasn’t really referring to a game like this. I was talking more about when we deliver a clunker, which we probably will at some point. 

To be honest it’s easy to be relaxed about this one because of the way we played. We won at Swansea despite not playing anywhere near as well as this. That performance worried me far more than this, even though we won. 

This is only a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

saw some stat somewhere ,probably on twatter ,that showed 4 or 5 of our lads ,including the front 3 , travelled something like 18K miles each before the game ..fuck me ,I fly to the Algarve and I'm bolloxed for 2 days ,dunno how these lads do it

I think the Brazilian boys clocked up 18,000 miles and Mane a mere 14,000!

Dominant performance and it is looking like a strong team with youth on its side that is building expectations. The game's only downside was poor finishing and that Klopp (who retains my trust) should have made substitutions sooner.

In the second half it was clear Coutinho was tired, he was under hitting passes and getting brushed off the ball too easily. It looked like his decision making was a second or two slower than usual, which is understandable.

A long way to go but we need to squeak these type of games one nil.

I remember watching ITV's 'Goal Rush' all the way back in November 2002 when Arsenal lost 3-2 away to Southampton. Arsenal were a man and 3-1 down with a quarter of the game to go, but they absolutely battered the Southampton goal for the remainder of the game and nearly escaped with a point. The reason it sticks in my memory is that, even then when Liverpool had finished 2nd the previous season and won the three cups the year before, I was jealous that they had a team that could take the fight to the opposition even when at a numerical disadvantage. I wouldn't wish for Liverpool to go a man down to test the hypothesis, but I have no doubt Klopp's Liverpool could do just that. 

I remember watching ITV's 'Goal Rush' all the way back in November 2002 when Arsenal lost 3-2 away to Southampton. Arsenal were a man and 3-1 down with a quarter of the game to go, but they absolutely battered the Southampton goal for the remainder of the game and nearly escaped with a point. The reason it sticks in my memory is that, even then when Liverpool had finished 2nd the previous season and won the three cups the year before, I was jealous that they had a team that could take the fight to the opposition even when at a numerical disadvantage. I wouldn't wish for Liverpool to go a man down to test the hypothesis, but I have no doubt Klopp's Liverpool could do just that.

Didn't we beat Palace last season 2 1 after going behind and Milner being sent off at Selhurst Park. The keeper gifted us the equaliser and the winning goal was a controversial penalty.

The game coming after we had beaten Citeh 3 0 and the next game after was Yernited in the Europa league which we duly won as well.

The only criticism I have on the game is on Firminio's chance when he toe poked the ball wide after Coutinho's through ball in the second half was SIMILAR to the chance (from Coutinho assist 1st half) he missed vs Watford at home where he's gone to toe poke the ball again instead of side footing it in the net and he ends up horribly slicing the chance wide.

Thought he would of learnt from that really as it cost us 2 pts by trying to be too clever IMO.

• Upvote 2

Seeing Shane Long come on as a sub reminded me that I hate him and his stupid ass gum chewing. The only player who could rock playing football and chewing gum at the same time was Cafu. Sadio Mane can do it too, but only because he plays for us now. Last season he couldn't.

Carlo Cudicini also used to chew gum. Remember when we lost 4-0 at Stamford Bridge and Carlo Cudicini got man of the match?? He even saved a Gary McAllister pen in that one. Prick.

• Upvote 1

The only criticism I have on the game is on Firminio's chance when he toe poked the ball wide after Coutinho's through ball in the second half was SIMILAR to the chance (from Coutinho assist 1st half) he missed vs Watford at home where he's gone to toe poke the ball again instead of side footing it in the net and he ends up horribly slicing the chance wide.

Thought he would of learnt from that really as it cost us 2 pts by trying to be too clever IMO.

It was a shocking miss, if he gets his head up and looks he would have scored surely.

Mane's missed opportunity and Coutinho's in the second half both looked due to sharpness affected by the international break.

This

Certainly no 'toe poke'. Firmino clearly tried to curl it with the outside of his foot and sadly failed. There was probably 5-6 chances that could and should have been taken and for me the late Clyne header was the worst of the lot because it was so late in the game they would have had no chance to recover. I fear we might be ruing these missed 2 points come May. The lack of clinical finishing, as Tom Waits once said, 'bothers me'.

We're top scorers in the league and won our last game before the international break by hitting six.  The notion that we've any problem with scoring goals or that we need to rip up what's been the best attack in the league due to one goalless game on the back of our main trio travelling half way around the world is laughable.

We're top scorers in the league and won our last game before the international break by hitting six.  The notion that we've any problem with scoring goals or that we need to rip up what's been the best attack in the league due to one goalless game on the back of our main trio travelling half way around the world is laughable.

The momentum we had prior to the cunting international break obviously has to be rebuilt. I'm not talking about half chances moreso clear cut opportunities that they have worked so hard to carve out. Most sides will park the bus against us now. The mancs double parked and reduced our chances to 2 sitters, sadly we missed them both and it cost 2 points. We had 5-6 clear chances aginst Southampton. If come May we have fallen short by 2-4 points I'll be booting myself in the bollocks again. I'd much prefer two hard fought 1-0 victories and a showboating 4-1 against Watford on a day when everything is going in.