You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Welcome to the World of Tomorrow!"

AngryOfTuebrook

To Freeze or Not to Freeze  

11 members have voted

1. 1. If this were your child, would you go along with the idea of cryonics?

• Of course - it's her wish and I want to give her every chance of life
    • No - She's too immature to make the rational choice of swerving the conmen. I need to bury or cremate her to grieve.

OK, tastelessly flippant title for a subject that gets more troubling the more you think about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38012267

A 14 year-old girl was dying of a rare cancer.  She said that she wanted to be cryogenically preserved until some future date - maybe centuries in the future - when she could be woken up and cured.

Her mum supported this wish.  Her dad (initially) opposed it, worrying about what kind of live the girl would wake up to  - if, indeed, she ever would wake up.  Another reasonable point of view is that the deep-freeze merchants are con-artists preying on vulnerable people desperate for hope.

It's an ethical minefield and there's only one way to resolve it: a poll.

Since the family paid for it it's their business what they spend their money on. The blog, "Wait but Why" did an interesting piece on cryonics that's worth a read.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2016/03/cryonics.html

I disagree with this and in the case of the story that prompted the thread, if it were my child I would not support it, much less pay for it.

Tough this. Before I had a kid I'd be 100% on the second option, but knowing now how much I'd do for her, what price giving contentment to your dying child?

I'm still going that way though, and I heard a chap on the radio last night saying (aside from the fact it can never work and is a load of bunkum making people rich) that if you want to live on, live on by giving your £37k to save kids dying from malaria in Africa, or wherever.

Guest Pistonbroke

No.

Not for the having to bury a child in order to grieve, you don't need a headstone to grieve, but because it's fucking stupid. It's akin to sticking 37.000 grand on Elvis still being alive at the bookies, humans are gullible as fuck at times. 

No.

Not for the having to bury a child in order to grieve, you don't need a headstone to grieve, but because it's fucking stupid. It's akin to sticking 37.000 grand on Elvis still being alive at the bookies, humans are gullible as fuck at times.

Yeah, 'cause giving your dying child some contentment before they die is the same as placing a bullshit bet down the bookies.

Fuck me.

i lost my daughter 2 years ago and there's nothing that I wouldn't give to have her back, even if it was just for a minute.  But I know that will never happen and I'm sure her parents know that as well.  This is more about respecting her wishes and giving her the death of her choosing and as much as I'd have the same concerns as her Father, I'd have reluctantly respected her wishes.  

We buried our daughter and i'd find it extremely difficult if I couldn't visit her grave, I need to be able to go, so it must be incredibly difficult for her parents knowing their daughter's body is far away.

• Upvote 2