You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What would you do with Stevie if he returns?

Paulie Dangerously

What would you do with Stevie?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should he be?

• Player only
    • Player and Coach for the 1st team
    • 1st team Coaching staff only
    • Youth team coach and mentor only
    • None coaching role e.g ambassador

I'd have him working with the kids to gain experience and qualifications as a coach. It will be inspirational for them and at the same time it takes Stevie a little bit out of the spotlight, which is good. What the first team is doing right now is about them, under their leader Klopp. There's no reason why Stevie couldn't move into the first team coaching set up after a stint doing the above, by which time he would have his qualifications and some experience on the coaching side.

That's what I would do, but I'm confident in whatever Klopp decides, as he's the main man. He has more than enough gravitas to handle the potential fuss that might come with Stevie's return.

I wouldn't have Stevie come back as a player. Time respects no man, and Stevie is finished at this level as a player. I watched him get overrun in the MLS a few times, and while there were flashes of quality here and there, the LA Galaxy looked better when he didn't play.

I can understand the desire to stick him in the squad as a player to hopefully get enough minutes here and there to win that Premier League medal, should we do it - and there's a heck of a long way to go. However, that strikes me as misplaced charity. It could possibly also create unnecessary tension in the first team set up. They all know Stevie was the man, but what is happening now is their achievement, under Klopp. A new thing is emerging, as it must, and I'd let it run its course without bringing Stevie back in as a player.

It goes without saying that Stevie has had a great career and is firmly cemented as one of our best ever - and that's some accolade when you consider the list of players we've had over the years. But he shouldn't put his boots back on for LFC. His time has passed.

• Upvote 8

IMO If Stevie had been in and around the squad that went to the UEFA final, that 2nd half probably wouldn't have happened. There's not many ways he can contribute these days, but deary me when we get to the part of the season when it's all about what's in your head, I'd want some of his character rubbing off on the squad. TBH it's our biggest unknown right now, and if I could stack the deck going into the business end of the season, I'd be all over it.

• Upvote 2

Happy to go with whatever Klopp decides.

If he think he can offer something still as a player, I won't disagree - especially given the quality Gerrard has.

If he doesn't again, I'll back Klopp.

Will be great to have him back though in whichever way Klopp decides.