You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Keane

Bjornebye

It always baffles me when people describe Keane and players like him as box to box. What the fuck did he do in the attacking third? He was the ball winner in the best team of the decade. He was an aggressive headcase as well which is why he was their captain. When people use phrases like tactically aware etc it's always complete nonsense. You or I have no idea what either player was told to do by their managers.

Gerrard pretty much reinvented box to box for the modern footballer. He broke into the team himself as a ball winner. As time went on he started scoring the odd goal and playing wonder balls through to the forwards. Then in his early 20's he didn't just carry the team, he literally started saving them at both ends of the pitch. Late goal after late goal followed by last ditch tackles to save other players graces. There have been better footballers before and since (not many I might add) but there literally hasn't been a footballer as well rounded and complete as Gerrard.

Just because the mancs were winning the league season in season out doesn't make every single one of their players better than everyone else. Their team was. The only reason we were anywhere near them was pretty much because of one player. If we had replaced Keane with Gerrard, some of the players around him might have been better through fear of Keane. I doubt it anyway but either way though that doesn't make Keane a better player than him.

It shouldn't even be a conversation. Anyone that ever comes out with the guff that Gerrard was a better 10 etc I always assume must have been born in 1992 or after. Either that or their a manc who is trying to block out how good a central midfielder Gerrard was. It's the price Gerrard has to pay for staying at Liverpool and not winning various leagues he would have done elsewhere. When braindead Liverpool fans join in it is unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

In terms of sticking the knife into Taggart, Keane can't be faulted.

Think it was his last attempt at Europe when Nani got sent off for a Karate kick and they went on to lose. Keane spent a good ten minutes on ITV rubbing salt into the gaping wound afterwards, great telly.

Still a Cunt though

Keane five times a better player all round than Gerrard

Are you thinking of the band?

Keane had someone who plays drums better than Stevie; someone who plays keyboards better than him; someone who plays bass better; and two people who play guitar better. That'll be it - five times a better player.

That's the only way that post could make sense.

Are you thinking of the band?

Keane had someone who plays drums better than Stevie; someone who plays keyboards better than him; someone who plays bass better; and two people who play guitar better. That'll be it - five times a better player.

That's the only way that post could make sense.

I'd be surprised if Keane had any musicians significantly better than Gerrard.

Take the best bits of Keane, Scholes and Beckham and roll em up into one amazing player... that's Steven Gerard that is.

Keane stuck his foot in and would not be bullied. Stevie too.

Scholes had great vision and scored goals. Stevie too.

Beckham had a great right foot. Stevie too.

All three Man Utd players were obviously very good in their own right. It's just that Stevie was better than all of them. The closest I can describe it is to say take the best attributes that all three have and distil it down to one player. That man is Steven Gerrard.

Keane was an incredible player. One of the best pound for pound players of his generation. He was the Manc's Souness and that is a very high compliment. He was a fine footballer like Souey,though you would swear both were alehouse rotweillers the way some go on. It's a bit like in 99' mancs were saying yorke and cole were better than kenny and rushy.

Taking tribalism aside,stevie was the better player. Not much in it though if i'm being honest.

A shame keane didn't come here in 93. We could have won about 4-5 titles if he was in our midfield back then.

Keane was an incredible player. One of the best pound for pound players of his generation. He was the Manc's Souness and that is a very high compliment. He was a fine footballer like Souey,though you would swear both were alehouse rotweillers the way some go on. It's a bit like in 99' mancs were saying yorke and cole were better than kenny and rushy.

Taking tribalism aside,stevie was the better player. Not much in it though if i'm being honest.

A shame keane didn't come here in 93. We could have won about 4-5 titles if he was in our midfield back then.

Belter of a post. Some people need to wake up.