You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

Makes me laugh seeing the 'right' backtracking from their Neo Liberal policies because it's now obvious to absolutely everyone that they're destroying human civilisation. Investment programmes ffs - from a Tory regime. 

It's all for show Sec, they're not going to back away at all. They'll stick by it because it's what serves them best. The amounts pledged for infrastructure investment barely scratch the surface of what's needed, meanwhile public services and welfare will continue to be cut, public assets will continue to be sold off and wealth will continue to be transferred from the least to the most well off. May's 'country that works for everyone' is precisely as sincere as Cameron's compassionate conservatism and Thatcher's Francis of Assisi bullshit.

• Upvote 1

I guess this didn't come up on Question Time? 'Great' Britain 2016.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tragedy-unknown-homeless-man-found-9372526#ICID=sharebar_twitter

The body of a homeless man was found tragically 'frozen to death' in Birmingham's city centre on the coldest night of the year.

Police were called to a car park entrance in Station Road at 11.30pm Wednesday after a local drinking in the nearby boozer discovered the man.

It’s understood the body, found opposite the Victoria pub in John Bright Street, is that of a 30-year-old male of no fixed address.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

West Midlands Police have said they do not believe the circumstances to be suspicious but it was suggested the man’s death was connected to drugs, according to Birmingham Mail .

It's all for show Sec, they're not going to back away at all. They'll stick by it because it's what serves them best. The amounts pledged for infrastructure investment barely scratch the surface of what's needed, meanwhile public services and welfare will continue to be cut, public assets will continue to be sold off and wealth will continue to be transferred from the least to the most well off. May's 'country that works for everyone' is precisely as sincere as Cameron's compassionate conservatism and Thatcher's Francis of Assisi bullshit.

Oh I agree Neil, but the fact it's now being openly discussed widely as the way forward is testimony to how indefensible the status quo has become. Read a piece by the Sky News economics editor bemoaning the 'London liberal elite's neglect' of working towns and blue collar workers spanning decades recently, that kind of discourse was unimaginable a couple of years ago outside a few Bootle pubs and this place. 

Oh I agree Neil, but the fact it's now being openly discussed widely as the way forward is testimony to how indefensible the status quo has become. Read a piece by the Sky News economics editor bemoaning the 'London liberal elite's neglect' of working towns and blue collar workers spanning decades recently, that kind of discourse was unimaginable a couple of years ago outside a few Bootle pubs and this place.

Agree with that. In your previous post I thought you were suggesting the right were seriously thinking about changing the economic model because they realise it's unsustainable, as opposed to just engaging in rhetoric.

It's a massive opportunity for the left in the UK and the US now. Where they couldn't get a hearing on how the system is broken, May and Trump have got one. Now that taboo has been shattered the next step is to capitalise when those two inevitably fail to change the status quo. Take back control of the Labour and Democratic parties, get some electable leaders and don't give an inch to those who say that 'sensible' moderate economic centrism is the only way to win elections. The US election has nailed that lie for good.

• Upvote 2

Spending freeze in Bristol, because the city's run out of money.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/12/02/one-britains-biggest-cities-stop-running-basic-services-thanks-tory-austerity/

This seems to have a faint whiff of the Eighties about it - when Labour councils were given the option of either setting an illegal budget to meet essential services or setting an immoral budget, clobbering the most vulnerable people, but keeping the Tory Government happy.

There is a NHS at breaking point story taking place as we write. There is a severe shortage of paediatric beds across the country which is affecting the care of ill children, yet there has been almost no reporting of it in the mainstream media.

Guest Pistonbroke

There is a NHS at breaking point story taking place as we write. There is a severe shortage of paediatric beds across the country which is affecting the care of ill children, yet there has been almost no reporting of it in the mainstream media.

The BBC covered it mate. It was however one of those pieces hidden behind less important news. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-20755256

Shortage of critical care paediatric beds, doctors warn

The NHS is facing a shortage of beds to treat critically-ill children, doctors warn.

The Paediatric Intensive Care Society and three other medical organisations say all 29 units in the UK are running close to capacity due to a surge in seasonal respiratory illness.

The Department of Health is expected to release additional money to help hospitals with winter pressures.

On Monday there were 10-20 unoccupied beds available.

During the previous week, there were days when virtually all of the beds were full - although doctors stress no child came to any harm as a result.

Services stretched

Medics say paediatric services are working hard to keep up with demand and are under "severe pressure".

Honorary secretary of the Paediatric Intensive Care Society (PICS) Peter Wilson said: "Although all trusts are really stretched we have had zero adverse outcomes, which is good news.

"We understand waiting is frustrating for parents."

He said it was not unusual to see peaks in admissions over winter, but that so far this year there had been relatively more respiratory infections circulating among children than in recent years.

"This year the number of beds has been tight because there's been a steady increase in admissions without an increase in bed numbers.

"In certain areas of the UK there may be a need for more beds but opening stacks more is not the answer. During the summer these would sit empty, wasting money."

He said each bed costs the NHS about £2,000 per day - most of this is for the necessary staffing.

The Intensive Care Society, PICS, the Association of Paediatric Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland and the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine say there is no single solution to the problem, but make a number of recommendations.

Urgent training

This includes having better centralised co-ordination over the use and number of paediatric intensive care beds as well as borrowing services from adult NHS wards.

For example, some adults in intensive care could be moved to other hospitals further away to make room locally for some of these very sick children.

Medical and nursing staff on these general intensive care wards could urgently be given training in how to care for young children instead of the usual adult patients they encounter, says the joint statement.

NHS Medical Director Bruce Keogh said: "Demand for paediatric intensive care beds can fluctuate dramatically particularly when viral respiratory illnesses strike in winter.

"In recent weeks demand has been high, but well managed by paediatricians and intensive care staff who have worked extremely hard to ensure all children received the care they needed."

Last week the chief executive of the Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust Mark Newbold voiced concerns about bed shortages in his blog.

He wrote: "An ITU [intensive treatment unit] bed is needed, but across the country there aren't any. They had hoped for one in Cardiff, but just been told it had gone.

"So, the baby is safe in our (brand new) paediatric emergency department (ED), and awaiting an available ITU bed, but the 'rules' say we must move the child, the kit, and the team somewhere else. But where? The children's ward would not be safe.

"Our adult ITU colleagues advised that they were not skilled to care for babies. Every doctor agreed - the safest option was to keep baby in ED, until an ITU bed became free and the retrieval team arrives."

Been pissing myself at the Fat Fuck Johnson,  Got a massive scolding from the Headmistress for calling out her mates the Saudis for being sponsors of proxy wars,  Telling the truth obviously not in job description for Foreign Secretary especially if your boss has just spent the last few days on a seedy trip to Middle East sticking her heads up the arses of the Gulf States.  

"We're going to get a red white and blue Brexit,  Fucking cow is a complete joke  

Soon to be a red and white brexit if the Scots see sense and abandon this sinking ship?

Can't see how. Certainly without independence.Even then Scotland would need to adopt the Euro. Imagine the shit storm if England was outside and had an open border to the EU via Scotland. Farage would be PM and build a Trump wall.

EU may fuck over Westminster and grant Scotland exemption status but that could have massive ramifications for other regions around the EU.

I can't see it.

Soon to be a red and white brexit if the Scots see sense and abandon this sinking ship?

Was back home over the weekend and I got a dieting impression that there is a bit of referendum fatigue up there, while a good chunk of my mates were no voters most of them seem to be pretty happy with the noises Sturgeon and Robertson are making with regard trying to keep access to the single market for Scotland.

Was back home over the weekend and I got a dieting impression that there is a bit of referendum fatigue up there, while a good chunk of my mates were no voters most of them seem to be pretty happy with the noises Sturgeon and Robertson are making with regard trying to keep access to the single market for Scotland.

You're right mate, no-one I know wants another referendum. Sturgeon is fighting hard but personally I cannot see a way for Scotland to remain in the single market with England out.

Interesting, I didn't quite understand everything but it inspired me to read an article in FT on the group / movement, it's pretty informative.

https://www.ft.com/content/0dc9b416-8573-11e6-8897-2359a58ac7a5

In case it hits the paywall, put the title "Crash and learn: should we change the way we teach economics?" in Google search.

Interesting, I didn't quite understand everything but it inspired me to read an article in FT on the group / movement, it's pretty informative.

https://www.ft.com/content/0dc9b416-8573-11e6-8897-2359a58ac7a5

In case it hits the paywall, put the title "Crash and learn: should we change the way we teach economics?" in Google search.

I just wish we could start tackling the problem at an earlier stage. Part of the problem is that very few people are thinking critically before they start their degree in Economics (or Politics, for that matter). Everything shouldn't be new by then.