You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

Snoopers charter where the fuck was the opposition to this. Snowden said it's the most draconian piece of legislation in any western democracy.

It's a fucker, alright. They managed to sneak that in with all the attention focused on the other side of the pond. Insidious cunts.

There's a petition to repeal it, 130,000 strong.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199

Snoopers charter where the fuck was the opposition to this. Snowden said it's the most draconian piece of legislation in any western democracy.

Buy a private VPN and use a Tor browser. If the security services want to target an individual they still can but if enough people adopt private security measures it will actually end up overwhelming the system as it won't be practical to decrypt and trace millions of online users with now secured online access.

If your local ISP isn't actually recording your online activity but is simply seeing a secured endpoint to a server located outside the UK which doesn't record your activities it's going to make that 12 month log of data meaningless.

Guest Pistonbroke

Buy a private VPN and use a Tor browser. If the security services want to target an individual they still can but if enough people adopt private security measures it will actually end up overwhelming the system as it won't be practical to decrypt and trace millions of online users with now secured online access.

If your local ISP isn't actually recording your online activity but is simply seeing a secured endpoint to a server located outside the UK which doesn't record your activities it's going to make that 12 month log of data meaningless.

I wouldn't put it pass them to make it illegal to use a VPN if they realise too many are using one to bypass laws. 

I wouldn't put it pass them to make it illegal to use a VPN if they realise too many are using one to bypass laws.

That's the worry with legislature like this. Where does it stop? Once they realise the flaws in their plan you can bet your bottom dollar they'll try and plug the gaps.

I've a vpn on my pc. But my phone doesn't have one. Can you put tor on a phone?

It's not really the point anyway though. The fact something like this can be processed and passed with barely a whimper from the media who constantly bitch about press freedoms and barely no opposition against it in parliament. Was Dennis skinner the only labour mp to vote against it.

That can't happen simply due to the sheer volume of businesses who use VPN's. They'd also effectively have to ban use of overseas servers which don't comply with UK law.

As I understand it they did consider implementing this but realised it was completely impractical to do so. You wouldn't actually be breaking the existing law, you can still quite happily allow a government department to access your ISP's data, it's just a shame it isn't being recorded by them.

Guest Pistonbroke

That can't happen simply due to the sheer volume of businesses who use VPN's. They'd also effectively have to ban use of overseas servers which don't comply with UK law.

As I understand it they did consider implementing this but realised it was completely impractical to do so. You wouldn't actually be breaking the existing law, you can still quite happily allow a government department to access your ISP's data, it's just a shame it isn't being recorded by them.

Mate, they are quite adept in using the one rule for them (businesses) and one rule for anyone else. It would be a nightmare for them to implement as you say, but I'm sure that people work for them in trying to get a way to simplify things. 

That's the worry with legislature like this. Where does it stop? Once they realise the flaws in their plan you can bet you're bottom dollar they'll try and plug the gaps.

As has been stated this is classic zombie law. By effectively unsecuring our data to thousands of government employee's it's a matter of time before it's used inappropriately, hacked or sold. Government employees like everyone else have grudges, enemies and paranoia's.

There will be ever increasing stories in the media where a department employee suspects their spouse of cheating and starts a trawl of their online activities using data released through this bill. That's just for starters.

Mate, they are quite adept in using the one rule for them (businesses) and one rule for anyone else. It would be a nightmare for them to implement as you say, but I'm sure that people work for them in trying to get a way to simplify things. 

The problem was there are huge number of workers who have their own PC or company supplied PC secured under a VPN. I am wrong though,you're right we shouldn't rule it out as they are mad enough to do it.

I don't get this billion pounds investment for faster broadband. Isn't the likes of BT privately owned now and they charge the earth. Why give a private company a billion quid.

This was actually a Labour election promise during their stint,if I remember correctly. Would have been done by now if morons had understood what they were voting for,or voted at all.

The "if you've nothing to hide" argument is all well and good. But I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I'll discuss things with people I know that while I'm not necessarily ashamed of it that I wouldn't want to be public.

If anyone says that to you ask them for the password for all of their email and the likes of facebook etc. See how keen they are on you having access to all that. Given they've nothing to hide. 

In Citizenfour Snowden talked about GCHQ data collection and how far beyond what the Americans did this went even then.

The main thing that strikes me with that is just how much they clearly don't know how the internet works, more worryingly the people advising them clearly have no idea either.

VPNs have risen already due to streaming, all they are going to do is force more people to do it.

I remember Cameron talking about how depictions of rape shouldn't be allowed and things like that, but how far do you go? The rape scene in Irreversible is brutal, but ultimately it's part of something which is meant to be a serious piece of film making.

Most importantly, if they're so serious about protecting kids why have we had Governments covering up alleged child abuse at the hands of politicians?

Finally as we're all probably on some kind of register anyway, Cameron, May and all of their cohorts are nothing but a bunch of Cunts. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Flicked over to the Parliament channel out of...well, I don't know really. Richard Harrington the Work and Pensions Minister is talking. The fella reminds me of sweating Tom from The Thick of It. He can barely string a sentence together.

Vote on Increase in state pension age for women born in the 50's, how did that go.?

Vote on Increase in state pension age for women born in the 50's, how did that go.?

I only managed about 15 minutes before realising I'd rather go and wash up.

Mhairi Black was speaking to start with, probably why I stayed on the channel for a bit. Even the Tories sitting behind Richard Cuntington looked like they wanted the ground to swallow them up. He was fucking embarrassing.

Too bad Shami Chakrabarti chose not to oppose it when she was actually in a position where opposition meant somthing.

No idea what (if anything) she could have done on her own in the House of Lords.  It needed stopping in both Houses, by all Labour members and peers uniting with LDs, SNP, etc. plus any right-minded Tories (if they exist).