You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

What's the actual point of Tom Watson?

"She had a difficult job and tried to do it honourably".

Tell that to Lenny Henry's mum. 

He's like your fiance's brother who you have to take on your stag do even though he's a boring dick head you hardly know and spends the night skipping rounds and saying things like "you can all go to a strip club but I'm not".

• Upvote 4

Just now, Section_31 said:

What's the actual point of Tom Watson?

"She had a difficult job and tried to do it honourably".

Tell that to Lenny Henry's mum. 

He's like your fiance's brother who you have to take on your stag do even though he's a boring dick head you hardly know and spends the night skipping rounds and saying things like "you can all go to a strip club but I'm not".

My kinda guy.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I get that, but, the house has returned a majority vote against leaving with No Deal, haven’t they. Just as many will remain opposed to it as they do now, irrespective of the change of PM.

Whilst whoever takes over can legally just run the clock down and leave in defiance of that standpoint, they will be well aware there would be a reckoning from those who aren’t on the No Deal side, in terms of future votes etc.

I get they could do it anyway, but if they don’t play the game and engage with the rest of the house, there will surely be political consequences for that course of action. I just suspect that will affect whether they’re prepared to risk carrying the can for it, making it a far less appealing and simple tactic to run with in practice than it sounds in theory.

Especially for a snake as nakedly fraudulent and lacking in any notable principles or sense of personal accountability as Johnson.

They have rebelled against May after she prepared a new proposal which goes in the direction of a compromise, it is not likely they will replace her with someone who would be working on a cross-party solution, i.e. even bigger compromise.

17 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I disagree, but you needed a politician willing to work with the politics of consensus. She absolutely hates consensus and consultation, so she was screwed from the start. 

There was very little basis or willingness for a consensus anywhere, anyway. Brexit had been used by most as a weapon in domestic politics. You needed a politician of a Thatcher or a Blair magnitude to command political support to impose their vision, May is just not in that league.

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There was very little basis or willingness for a consensus anywhere, anyway. Brexit had been used by most as a weapon in domestic politics. You needed a politician of a Thatcher or a Blair magnitude to command political support to impose their vision, May is just not in that league.

Again, I would disagree. I think it was all done arse about face though. If they had decided a way forward before they submitted Article 50, then they would never have got in this pickle in the first place. Almost all of them voted to proceed with A50 before they had the foggiest idea of how they would get things through. May took it a step further by completing negotiations on a deal, which was never going to garner enough support.

28 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They have rebelled against May after she prepared a new proposal which goes in the direction of a compromise, it is not likely they will replace her with someone who would be working on a cross-party solution, i.e. even bigger compromise.

We know by now they’re all super at saying what they don’t want, but not so brave when it comes to standing or falling by what they do. What’s

seen to be most politically expedient for particularly the two main parties in future is clearly having a guiding effect on their actions. The 48% who didn’t vote for Brexit, and any among the 52% who did but are against No Deal, will still be in their thoughts for future elections and how any lost votes could affect the Tories.

If we leave, most likely The Brexit Party disappears, and while I get it’s the default position, the vote against No Deal wasn’t legally binding and the next leader is going to be carrying the full hopes and backing of the Brexit zealots in their party, I still think the above will come into their thinking. They aren’t going to want to throw away a large chunk of the electorates’ votes on what has become such a defining issue.

Of course, they may calculate it’s worth the risk and do it, that we don’t yet know. Similarly, they may not be prepared to take the gamble and we may end up in more of the same stalemate, after a lot more empty rhetoric and posturing about taking back control and our bright new future of self-determination.

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Again, I would disagree. I think it was all done arse about face though. If they had decided a way forward before they submitted Article 50, then they would never have got in this pickle in the first place. Almost all of them voted to proceed with A50 before they had the foggiest idea of how they would get things through. May took it a step further by completing negotiations on a deal, which was never going to garner enough support.

That is absolutely true, but that is one humongous IF. I think they would  never have agreed on how to proceed, as they couldn't agree now and possibly not even in the future, except maybe if a no-deal finally becomes almost unavoidable.

She gambled that the civil servants and the EU would hammer out a deal along the lines of her reading of the electorate's will (which for me wasn't a wrong interpretation) and that she would be able to impose it on the parliament. However she lacked some important leadership qualities to pull that off.  

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

In fairness, the calamitous fuck-ups go back further. Such a binary, simplistic question to such a complex issue, was fucking madness.

I agree, that referendum was really the stupidest thing they could have done.

17 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

We know by now they’re all super at saying what they don’t want, but not so brave when it comes to standing or falling by what they do. What’s

seen to be most politically expedient for particularly the two main parties in future is clearly having a guiding effect on their actions. The 48% who didn’t vote for Brexit, and any among the 52% who did but are against No Deal, will still be in their thoughts for future elections and how any lost votes could affect the Tories.

If we leave, most likely The Brexit Party disappears, and while I get it’s the default position, the vote against No Deal wasn’t legally binding and the next leader is going to be carrying the full hopes and backing of the Brexit zealots in their party, I still think the above will come into their thinking. They aren’t going to want to throw away a large chunk of the electorates’ votes on what has become such a defining issue.

Of course, they may calculate it’s worth the risk and do it, that we don’t yet know. Similarly, they may not be prepared to take the gamble and we may end up in more of the same stalemate, after a lot more empty rhetoric and posturing about taking back control and our bright new future of self-determination.

I think the UK will leave most likely with something similar to May's deal, and Teresa's head will explode. And then it will be obvious it was all about the Tory leadership, and to a (much) lesser extent, Labour trying not to lose votes and somehow force the general election.

37 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Anyone else read this expecting it to turn into slash fiction?

No? Just me then.

U wot m8? 

May for me embodies the worst of 'traditional conservatism'. 

Cameron was and is a cunt but only in the way that the likes of Clegg and Umuna are. They're men with no ideology who'd change team depending on who was most likely to give them what they want, money, money, more money, and some kind of standing with the London elite. 

May though, stunk to high heaven of being a useful indiot to the traditional blue blooded power brokers that have run the country for centuries with all that entails. Her grotesquely bizarre curtsies to royalty, her thinly veiled dislike of ethnic minorities, her total ambivalence to the suffering of the poor. She was an old school Tory and establishment foot-soldier the likes of which we haven't seen since Thatcher. 

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Wasn't a dig at you, it's the done thing everywhere, all over social media at the moment. I'm not arsed about Corbyn either way but the way he gets dragged into every clusterfuck beggars belief. A day like this - arguably the worst leader in living memory steps down with knives in her back from a grotesque Tory party, and still - still - corbyn will come under attack for whatever the fuck. Saw Peston - the stroke-inducing helmet - Tweeting that Corbyn now faced his 'own revolt'. 

Amazing stuff. We get the country we deserve. 

His speech was stupid. He could've worked with the PM to get a deal, instead he's only interested in playing party politics and calling for a general election. We've created an environment where no MP works in the national interest anymore. They all hate each other with a feverish passion. Their existence is to stop the other and not to benefit the people. Even the idea of putting their party politics to the side to compromise is unfathomable to them. We've elected 650 Littlefingers and no Tywin Lannisters. 

As you say... you get the country you deserve.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Boss said:

His speech was stupid. He could've worked with the PM to get a deal, instead he's only interested in playing party politics and calling for a general election. We've created an environment where no MP works in the national interest anymore. They all hate each other with a feverish passion. Their existence is to stop the other and not to benefit the people. Even the idea of putting their party politics to the side to compromise is unfathomable to them. We've elected 650 Littlefingers and no Tywin Lannisters. 

As you say... you get the country you deserve.

Why the fuck should Corbyn have done May or the Tories any favours when she derided and ignored all the other parties for three years and then only paid lip-service to a deal when she was corralled into meeting them. Labour's suggestions re customs union and workers rights were perfectly valid requests which would have worked massively in the country's interests and were not 'playing party politics' at all , but suggesting aims that would make the best of the shit show we are placed in.

His statement today was spot on , May was a talentless , horrible cunt who never lost a minute's sleep over the millions of people whose lives she made worse as Pm & HS , so fuck the false sentiments when she met her much-delayed spanish archer.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Why the fuck should Corbyn have done May or the Tories any favours when she derided and ignored all the other parties for three years and then only paid lip-service to a deal when she was corralled into meeting them. Labour's suggestions re customs union and workers rights were perfectly valid requests which would have worked massively in the country's interests and were not 'playing party politics' at all , but suggesting aims that would make the best of the shit show we are placed in.

His statement today was spot on , May was a talentless , horrible cunt who never lost a minute's sleep over the millions of people whose lives she made worse as Pm & HS , so fuck the false sentiments when she met her much-delayed spanish archer.

I don't want false sentiments. I just want a party that's honest with their voters. Labour like to pretend they are for sitting down and hashing out a deal when they have no interest in doing so. They also like to pretend that they aren't getting in the way of Brexit when they've strategically voted against every proposed deal barre their own ones. They are as much responsible for this impasse as the Tories are.