You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

I see Corbyn's statement is playing to his base, rather than highlighting the fact her failure is a result of her predecessor's arrogance and her party's infighting (and that the chaos and confusion is wholly down to them)

Disappointing, but not unsurprising, to see such a tone deaf reaction. Try to win more votes, rather than just appease the ones you already have!

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I see Corbyn's statement is playing to his base, rather than highlighting the fact her failure is a result of her predecessor's arrogance and her party's infighting (and that the chaos and confusion is wholly down to them)

Disappointing, but not unsurprising, to see such a tone deaf reaction. Try to win more votes, rather than just appease the ones you already have!

How come people have a go at Corbyn even on a day like this?  Amazing stuff. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is what he said-

The prime minister is right to have resigned. She has now accepted what the country has known for months: she cannot govern, and nor can her divided and disintegrating party.

The burning injustices she promised to tackle three years ago are even starker today.

The Conservative party has utterly failed the country over Brexit and is unable to improve people’s lives or deal with their most pressing needs.

Parliament is deadlocked and the Conservatives offer no solutions to the other major challenges facing our country.

The last thing the country needs is weeks of more Conservative infighting followed by yet another unelected prime minister.

Whoever becomes the new Conservative Leader must let the people decide our country’s future, through an immediate general election.

Seems to be entirely the opposite of what Pidge is suggesting.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Because I want a strong labour movement and it's a shame to see him get some easy digs in rather than say something constructive.

What's with the "even on a day like this" line?  Suggesting I'm always at him or something?  Bullshit, I barely mention him.  I mention him today because this is an opportunity for him and I want to see him capitalise.

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Because I want a strong labour movement and it's a shame to see him get some easy digs in rather than say something constructive.

What's with the "even on a day like this" line?  Suggesting I'm always at him or something?  Bullshit, I barely mention him.  I mention him today because this is an opportunity for him and I want to see him capitalise.

Wasn't a dig at you, it's the done thing everywhere, all over social media at the moment. I'm not arsed about Corbyn either way but the way he gets dragged into every clusterfuck beggars belief. A day like this - arguably the worst leader in living memory steps down with knives in her back from a grotesque Tory party, and still - still - corbyn will come under attack for whatever the fuck. Saw Peston - the stroke-inducing helmet - Tweeting that Corbyn now faced his 'own revolt'. 

Amazing stuff. We get the country we deserve. 

They effectively got rid of her via a coup and are all turning around and praising her. 

A no confidence vote took place, they lost and then spent the time after the vote refusing to accept the outcome. They pushed to change the rules, so they could have another vote, but eventually put enough pressure on to overturn the out come of the vote they lost. The hypocritical cunts. 

Just now, Scooby Dudek said:

They effectively got rid of her via a coup and are all turning around and praising her. 

A no confidence vote took place, they lost and then spent the time after the vote refusing to accept the outcome. They pushed to change the rules, so they could have another vote, but eventually put enough pressure on to overturn the out come of the vote they lost. The hypocritical cunts. 

To be fair, any other politician with even a shred of decency or honour would have resigned a long time ago. She's effectively completely wasted the last 6 months on trying to push through a deal no one wanted and paralysed the entire country in the process.

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Wasn't a dig at you, it's the done thing everywhere, all over social media at the moment. I'm not arsed about Corbyn either way but the way he gets dragged into every clusterfuck beggars belief. A day like this - arguably the worst leader in living memory steps down with knives in her back from a grotesque Tory party, and still - still - corbyn will come under attack for whatever the fuck. Saw Peston - the stroke-inducing helmet - Tweeting that Corbyn now faced his 'own revolt'. 

Amazing stuff. We get the country we deserve. 

Fair enough.  Was reacting to a small sample of what he said so I was obviously to hasty regardless, which doesn't help.

A fitting legacy for her- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/24/uk-government-misses-net-migration-target-for-37th-time-in-a-row

Migrants continue to add to the UK population as official figures show the government has missed its target of reducing net migration to tens of thousands for the 37th time in a row.

The last official migration figures released under Theresa May’s premiership reveal that 258,000 more people moved to the UK than left in 2018, with 602,000 arriving and 343,000 people emigrating.

Looking deeper into the data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), EU long-term immigration has fallen since 2016 and is at its lowest since 2013, with 201,000 people from EU nations arriving and 127,000 leaving.

The statistics also show, however, that non-EU net migration has gradually increased over the last five years, with 232,000 more non-EU citizens arriving than leaving last year.

The figures jar with pro-Brexit arguments of “taking back control of migration” by ending freedom of movement, because growth in net migration is driven by non-EU migration, which the UK is already able to control.

May has been a staunch defender of the government’s net migration target since it was unveiled in 2010, first as home secretary and then as prime minister, despite repeated warnings against using the metric.

Sunder Katwala, the director of the migration thinktank British Future, said: “These will be Theresa May’s final immigration statistics as a prime minister and home secretary who placed the net migration target at the centre of the government’s immigration policy.

“But the net migration target was a promise to voters that could never be kept. As a result, public trust in the government’s ability to manage immigration is at rock-bottom. Her successor should look at this record and conclude that it’s time to move on. Banging your head on a brick wall 37 times in a row just gives you a bigger political headache.”

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

To be fair, any other politician with even a shred of decency or honour would have resigned a long time ago. She's effectively completely wasted the last 6 months on trying to push through a deal no one wanted and paralysed the entire country in the process.

I don't disagree with anything that you have written, she should have gone when she lost the first meaningful vote. 

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the Tory cunts, who don't believe in a second vote because we must respect democracy, who have spent the last six month refusing to respect a vote that they lost. They have now managed to overturn a democratic vote that they lost, through bullying and (re)moaning.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

May probably wasn't up to the task anyway, but Brexit is such a divisive and politically poisonous process no PM would have survived it with this parliament.

She was definitely dealt a piss poor hand, but she made it immeasurably worse with her own autocratic and inflexible actions.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So, if there is no general election, and it does not look likely, does this now mean a no-deal Brexit?

I’m sure her successor will give it a go, but, obfuscation and snide tactics such as running the clock down aside, won’t they face the same issue of needing to get support for it via the house?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I’m sure her successor will give it a go, but, obfuscation and snide tactics such as running the clock down aside, won’t they face the same issue of needing to get support for it via the house?

I was thinking that too. But, isn't there a danger that the default position is leaving with no deal if nothing is agreed upon by the extended 31st October deadline? 

6 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

No, because no-deal is a default position if there is no deal.

I get that, but, the house has returned a majority vote against leaving with No Deal, haven’t they. Just as many will remain opposed to it as they do now, irrespective of the change of PM.

Whilst whoever takes over can legally just run the clock down and leave in defiance of that standpoint, they will be well aware there would be a reckoning from those who aren’t on the No Deal side, in terms of future votes etc.

I get they could do it anyway, but if they don’t play the game and engage with the rest of the house, there will surely be political consequences for that course of action. I just suspect that will affect whether they’re prepared to risk carrying the can for it, making it a far less appealing and simple tactic to run with in practice than it sounds in theory.

Especially for a snake as nakedly fraudulent and lacking in any notable principles or sense of personal accountability as Johnson.

33 minutes ago, SasaS said:

May probably wasn't up to the task anyway, but Brexit is such a divisive and politically poisonous process no PM would have survived it with this parliament.

I disagree, but you needed a politician willing to work with the politics of consensus. She absolutely hates consensus and consultation, so she was screwed from the start.