You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

On 10/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, razor said:

In Auckland, New Zealand, they used to have an inorganic collection organised by the Council.

Basically, everybody would put out things they no longer wanted - chairs, tables, desks, tellys, beds, cupboards etc - and the council would come around and collect them.  However, what actually happened is that people would come around and pick up things they needed first.

If you timed it right, and arrived in Auckland in October, you could drive around the posher areas of Auckland and fully furnish your whole house for the price of a rental truck.

It was a great idea - reuse and recycle: redistribution.

Maybe this is what the poppers-huffing balloonhead meant, though I do suspect the favela replication would more suit his agenda.

If only........  This system worked well when people in need took the whole appliance, piece of furniture or whatever they wanted.   Unfortunately, scavengers starting to scour the streets for items of value - like the internal circuit of a TV or monitor.  Instead of taking the whole thing, these bastards would just smash up the set and leave the broken bits of glass and plastic on the front garden for the local kids and dogs to cut themselves on. We stopped putting stuff out years ago, then the Council finally stopped the collections altogether. 

In other news 

U.N.’s Expert on ‘Extreme Poverty’ Is Investigating Britain. Why ?

Having pioneered the welfare state in the late 1940s and the privatization of the state in the 1980s, Britain in the 2010s has become the world’s main laboratory for the politics of austerity. In response to the 2008 financial crisis, few governing parties have pared back the state for so long, and with such ideological glee, as the ruling Conservative Party in Britain.

“The U.K. was a world leader in social security after World War II, it was a world leader on privatization on a large scale and it is a world leader right now in self-imposed austerity,”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/world/europe/un-extreme-poverty-britain-austerity.html#click=https://t.co/uHz9LTFKEp

• Upvote 1

This is what a complete break with reality looks like. Was told by a representative of a local credit union that they are inundated by people (lots with children) who have received eviction notices from local housing associations because of the rent arrears accrues as a result of the change over to universal credit. She was actually quite cut up about it.

Asked whether responsibility for Universal Credit was a “poisoned chalice”, the new work and pensions secretary said:

I have seen Universal Credit do some fantastic things. In my constituency in Hastings and Rye it really has transformed lives.

But I also recognise that there have been some issues with it, some problems with it. I see it very much as my job, my role, to make sure that I try to iron out those difficulties so it becomes a force wholly for good.

They are utterly without any redeeming features.

Wondering how Amber Rudd returning to the cabinet was just waved through on all of the main news channels without one of them asking the obvious question of how come she was not worthy of an office of state a few months ago but is OK again so soon. Shows how genuine the remorse for the Windrush ( and similar ) victims was.

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Five Live dealt with Rudd’s return by saying “...but we now know she received bad advice from officials in the department.”

The only people who should be involved in running any government department should be people with hands on experience in said department or industry, does my head in the way they parachute in some fucking mush who then takes credit for any success or pushes the blame for failure on 'bad advice'.

41 minutes ago, Anubis said:

This is what a complete break with reality looks like. Was told by a representative of a local credit union that they are inundated by people (lots with children) who have received eviction notices from local housing associations because of the rent arrears accrues as a result of the change over to universal credit. She was actually quite cut up about it.

Asked whether responsibility for Universal Credit was a “poisoned chalice”, the new work and pensions secretary said:

I have seen Universal Credit do some fantastic things. In my constituency in Hastings and Rye it really has transformed lives.

But I also recognise that there have been some issues with it, some problems with it. I see it very much as my job, my role, to make sure that I try to iron out those difficulties so it becomes a force wholly for good.

Panorama this week was about exactly that. Folk getting evicted due to the switch over to UC. Should be on the iplayer. 

• Upvote 1

I applaud the Brighthouse advert for its truthfulness, especially given that its customer base must be among the most financially poor.

Cost of a £600 bed with arrangement fee and weekly payment £740. And when you add in the total cost of interest payments - Over £1400.

I note that Her Maj has shares. 

9 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

One thing that's up there is that an anti-Islam propagandist is playing up the racist trope of snidily insinuating that "you can't do X in case it offends Muslims", despite the fact that prominent British Muslims are calling on the Home Secretary to grant Asia Bibi asylum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-46193439

In fairness to Justin, he does obviously know all about struggling households, as he has to employ his partner as his office manager on £40k per year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/benefit-cap-families-poverty-lodger-dwp-austerity-conservatives-justin-tomlinson-a8644441.html

A government minister has been criticised after he suggested poor families could "move house" or “take in a lodger” to ease financial pressures caused by the benefit cap

Work and pensions minister Justin Tomlinson said that parents impacted by the benefit cap, which limits the total amount of benefits a household can receive, could also “renegotiate their housing costs” if they were struggling due to the policy.

Labour MP Ruth George responded by telling the minister to “look at reality” that many affected households were large families that may have “three children in one bedroom”.

The benefit cap was lowered in 2016 and limits the total amount of benefits a household can receive to a maximum of £20,000 a year, or £23,000 for families in London.

During an evidence hearing with the Work and Pensions Committee, Mr Tomlinson was asked about what was being done to prevent the “suffering” of poor families subjected to the benefit cap who are not able to get into work.

He responded: “Some will have made other changes, including in their housing costs – whether that is either moving or renegotiating what their housing costs are, or they could have for example taken a lodger…”

Interrupting him, Ms George said: “Take in a lodger? These are large families, they’ve often got three children in one bedroom. How are they going to take in a lodger? Just look at reality here.”

His comments were also derided on Twitter, with one user saying: "We cannot just up sticks and find another property. I can't take in a lodger [...] He's out of touch. I hope he was challenged."

Another said: "Most of these families will be renting, and they will be forbidden from taking in a lodger. And they previously said people must move to cheaper properties: by their own words in this hearing this is an effect of the benefit cap."

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) claims the benefit cap incentivises work, including part-time work, as claimants become exempt from the cap once they are in a job and are earning over a certain amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Still 5 points ahead in the polls? Jesus! This is what happens when sufficient numbers of voters are stupid and the opposition offer nothing different on the main subject occupying the front pages. It's like nothing has been learned from Miliband saying he would carry on with Tory austerity.

13 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Still 5 points ahead in the polls? Jesus! This is what happens when sufficient numbers of voters are stupid and the opposition offer nothing different on the main subject occupying the front pages. It's like nothing has been learned from Miliband saying he would carry on with Tory austerity.

Labour are offering something very different on Brexit... and everything else. 

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

I take all these polls with a pinch of salt myself. In the 22 years I’ve been eligible to vote, I’ve never been asked any questions relating to these polls. 

59 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I take all these polls with a pinch of salt myself. In the 22 years I’ve been eligible to vote, I’ve never been asked any questions relating to these polls. 

Stronts is correct. 

You're probably right to take these things with a pinch of salt, but not for that reason.