You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

She’s shite but I actually thought the dance was mildly amusing, she was taking the piss out of herself, the original dance was forced and cringy , think coppers dancing at the Notting Hill carnival, but I thought this one was pretty self deprecating so I had no problem with it, that said she and more so her party are horrible and her speech, what I heard of it, was shite.

Negged.

20 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

She’s shite but I actually thought the dance was mildly amusing, she was taking the piss out of herself, the original dance was forced and cringy , think coppers dancing at the Notting Hill carnival, but I thought this one was pretty self deprecating so I had no problem with it, that said she and more so her party are horrible and her speech, what I heard of it, was shite.

When you are the architect of the shitstorm in which we now find ourselves as a country the last thing you should be doing is fucking ‘dancing’ onto a stage with your gurning image broadcast to millions

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Champ said:

When you are the architect of the shitstorm in which we now find ourselves as a country the last thing you should be doing is fucking ‘dancing’ onto a stage with your gurning image broadcast to millions

You really see that nonsense dance as such a big deal?  I don’t personally but to each their own, I was more concerned with the complete lack of ideas in her speech. 

I think her dance shows how detached she is from the fate of the nation. In the midst of Brexit failures, economic policy failures, policing failures, she's dancing like a fucking moron. Is it the most important thing? No, of course not, nobody is suggesting it's the only thing or the most important problem, but it's worthy of note. The most worrying things are she and her party are nasty cunts. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think her dance shows how detached she is from the fate of the nation. In the midst of Brexit failures, economic policy failures, policing failures, she's dancing like a fucking moron. Is it the most important thing? No, of course not, nobody is suggesting it's the only thing or the most important problem, but it's worthy of note. The most worrying things are she and her party are nasty cunts. 

Yep, the last sentence is the big concern here.

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It's also a filler for the fact she had nothing to say.

It's politics of soundbites now and sharable social media.

"Marxism" "anti Semitism" "Britain that works for everyone" "red white and blue Brexit"

Etc etc

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

"The end of austerity is in sight? people need to know their hard work has paid off"

What a cynical bitch! The national debt has tripled. Debt to GDP is up massively. How has austerity worked?

Rich people have got richer. Which was the intention.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

It came across as more self defecating than self deprecating.

• Upvote 1

If you didn't know any better you would think this was a press release from Conservative HQ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45735832

Gavin Barwell, has just tweeted.

That's both a compliment to his boss, and a revelation perhaps too.

With the complexities of Brexit, the divisions in her party, the calamity of last year's conference speech, the antics of the former foreign secretary, and of course, her own fragilities, Theresa May has struggled to find her voice - and that's got nothing to do with running out of Strepsils.

Well today she found it, and in the words of one of her cabinet colleagues, not a particularly close ally, "she found her mojo".

From the moment she danced on to the stage - who would have thought we'd ever see that - she looked comfortable in her own skin, actually happy to be there.

It sounds strange, but it is so rare to see her overtly enjoying her job.

On so many occasions the public has seen a politician who seems constricted, conflicted, and ill-at-ease. For voters, frankly, if she doesn't look like she is enjoying being prime minister, why should any of us be happy about the fact she's doing it.

Beyond the vital dynamics of the hall, there was a consistent message - this was May the moderate of summer 2016, not May the leader cleaving to one side of her party, the Eurosceptics who have the power to unseat her. A message to her party and the country that in a time of some anxiety, huge uncertainty, and toxic politics, she'll chart a middle course.

There was a big claim that austerity was over. Given that Chancellor Philip Hammond has not got extra cash to throw around and is already looking to raise tax for the NHS, that was a bold claim that may come to haunt the government.

And a direct appeal to Labour voters, and indeed Labour MPs, who may be uncomfortable with the direction of Jeremy Corbyn's travel. Overtly centre-ground stuff, a pitch for an era after Brexit when, perhaps, perhaps, the tensions and bitterness of the last couple of years could fade. That is a big if.

This was a total contrast to last year's disaster. A good outing on the platform doesn't make any of Mrs May's enormous dilemmas disappear. Nor will it magic away the concerns and criticisms of her handling of Brexit.

There are restive forces in her party. She has no majority in Parliament. The Conservatives have huge questions they can't answer about who they are and what they are for.

The fact remains, many of her colleagues simply can't see her taking them into the next election. But Theresa May looks today less like a leader at the total mercy of events, more like a prime minister who knows what she wants and might, just might, have an idea how to get there.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Oh I don't know . At least her dancing was no worse than here polictics

Apparently, a racist & anti-Semitic booklet was handed out at one of the fringe events.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/7x3eaq/the-deeply-worrying-far-right-booklets-distributed-at-tory-conference

The BBC will be all over this like... ah, fuck it.  I can't even be arsed being sarcastic about this shite any more.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Of course "austerity" is over. Public spending is at pre-financial crisis levels (still higher than it was under Blair) and will have to rise again to address the imminent post-Brexit financial crisis.

The experience of austerity depends on what that public money - our money - is spent on.  It's really theoretical hair-splitting to define an end to austerity the way (and, presumably, May) have.  As long as millions of people are taking home less pay, struggling to afford a place to live, seeing their public services slashed, etc, then you can't really tell them that austerity is over.